PDA

View Full Version : Dutchman in NZ

Funnyx
08-06-2016, 03:21
Hi all,

My name is Steven, born and raised in the Netherlands, but migrated to New Zealand about two years ago. Always worked in IT, but now semi-retired and soon-to-be stay-at-home dad. Music-wise I like pretty much everything that sounds good to me and I feel as much at home in front of an Iron Maiden concert, as sitting in suit at a Shirley Bassey concert. My main band is Iron Maiden, 30 years already this year since I got my first vinyl of them. Love to see them live and will travel for that (50+ concerts and counting). But like I said, everything that sounds good I like.

I stumbled upon this forum because I wanted to upgrade the Technics SL-1210MK2 I inherited a few years back from my dad, including 4.000+ vinyl. Now my dad wasn’t a DJ, just someone who loved music and wanted a new record player in a time when they were hard to find in the normal stores. And yes, he was a big Bassey fan.

I myself have the same love for music as he did, but went more the computer way of playing it. I owned various “non-audiophile” players, but at some point I just stopped replacing them in favor of computers.

My system isn’t very high end, certainly not compared to some of the systems I saw here. I used to spend most of my money on the latest computer stuff. The heart of it all is my Denon AVR-1610 and a pair of KEF iQ9’s. My digital music is stored on a Synology DS413 NAS and played by a computer connected with an AudioQuest JitterBug USB to an Arcam irDAC.

The vinyl part is a Technics SL-1210MK2 with a Stanton GII-RM cartridge connected with a Rega Fono Mini A2D. I have to say that in the few days I’m on this forum, I did order some upgrades for the Technics (Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Funk Firm Achromat and Isonoe Isolation Feet), so I’m here to learn and upgrade my audio experience ;).

Now thinking about an upgrade with tubes, either amp or pre-amp, but have to buy some more baby stuff first I guess…

Gr.
Steven

Light Dependant Resistor
08-06-2016, 03:44
Hi Steven
Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us in NZ, its such a nice
spot, despite a few shakes every now and then.

I think Ben Duncan the audio engineer did a stint with Iron Maiden
getting their equipment running well, but I have not heard much IM

You are in good company with the Technics TT and valve gear.

Cheers / Chris

Funnyx
08-06-2016, 04:48
Thanks Chris,

Yes, NZ is a very nice place indeed, very easy going people and the weather is great. Great food and wine also, my other big love...

Unfortunately no valve's here yet, but certainly looking into it...

struth
08-06-2016, 08:17
Welcome to AoS Steven. Hope you enjoy the site. Plenty techy stuff on this forum as youve no doubt seen.

walpurgis
08-06-2016, 08:37
Hello Steven. Welcome to AOS.

You've come to the right place for a Technics fan. I guess you've seen the 'Techiepedia' in the Analogue Arts section. Feel free to join in and ask questions.

Have fun and enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Spectral Morn
08-06-2016, 11:27
Welcome to AoS

Funnyx
08-06-2016, 11:42
Thanks Grant,

Indeed the reason I landed here, Google gave me the "Giving some love to my Technics SL-1210MK2" thread and I just got stuck here, reading way too many opinions, but felt right at home.

Funnyx
08-06-2016, 12:12
Geoff,

I landed there a few days ago, I had a stock SL-1210MK2 and I was happy with it. In those few days I ordered an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Funk Firm Achromat and the Isonoe Isolation Feet. So it's rubbing off... ;)

But true, I actually read almost all messages...

walpurgis
08-06-2016, 21:14
Well join in when you're ready Steven. There's plenty of Techie discussion and we'd like to know how you progress with yours and the rest of your system.

Barry
09-06-2016, 18:23
Welcome to AoS Steven,

Nice introduction - enjoy the Forum

Barry

The Black Adder
09-06-2016, 19:17
Welcome to AOS, Steven :)

Enjoy! :)

Funnyx
12-06-2016, 07:00
Thank you all for the warm welcome and wisdom. Before I landed on this forum I had no clue about tonearm height, VTF and anti-skating, but I just installed my new cartridge, leveled the tonearm and changed the VTF. I'll re-check everything when the new feet arrive and will post any remarks and questions in the right forum.