PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems with ripped DVD's 5.1 --> Stereo

The Black Adder
06-06-2016, 18:55
Hi all.

I have a problem with some of my ripped DVD's

I ripped some using WinXDVD. Not noticing but they were ripped in 5.1 and now when I play them (through stereo speakers) I'm getting the dialogue track coming through the left hand channel only. The music and other effects are in stereo.

Can anyone tell me how I can solve this with the files I've got because all of the channels should be there but I'd like to downmix it to stereo with the dialogue track being central.

Thanks
Jo

Stratmangler
07-06-2016, 20:43
Have you tried playing the disc on the same device you play the ripped movie on, and do you find you have the same problem?
Are you playing back on a computer, or are you using some kind of streaming device?

The Black Adder
10-06-2016, 18:14
Hi Chris.

Sorry about the delay.

I'm streaming the movies from a hard drive via a Sony DVD/Blueray player. The DVD's sound fine. No problem with the sound.

Thanks
Jo

Stratmangler
10-06-2016, 18:32
Is there a stereo soundtrack on the DVDs concerned?
If there is I'd suggest doing another rip, and pulling off the stereo soundtrack this time.
Feck knows what kind of processing is going on with your original rips.

The Black Adder
10-06-2016, 18:54
Thanks Chris.

When I play the movie it comes up as 5.1 on the screen. It's just odd that even downmixing it down to stereo track via the dvd player doesn't make any difference.

I loaded the film track in to some audio software and 5 audio tracks appear as they should. Track one being the dialogue track... It's really odd.

Thing is, I've got lots of rips that are like this... I've been trying to find some software to mix the 5.1 tracks to stereo but with no luck so far.

I didn't see a stereo track on the DVD's prior to ripping either.

Stratmangler
10-06-2016, 20:13
Which format did you convert the files to?
I've just had a play with the trial version, and the default format converts multichannel audio into stereo MP3.

The Black Adder
10-06-2016, 20:27
I converted to MP4.

Stratmangler
10-06-2016, 20:38
Before you hit the run button, did you go into the settings on the disc structure section.
If you go to the settings button up at the top right of the box you can change how any audio channels the ripper converts to.

Canetoad
10-06-2016, 21:45
Can't you do it using Handbrake?

I'm sure the audio tab allows a stereo mix.

struth
10-06-2016, 22:16
If its just the audio you want then DVD Audio Extractor is quite good. I had a trial of it for 30 days Josie. maybe youve tried it?

Stratmangler
11-06-2016, 10:48
Hi all.

I have a problem with some of my ripped DVD's

I ripped some using WinXDVD. Not noticing but they were ripped in 5.1 and now when I play them (through stereo speakers) I'm getting the dialogue track coming through the left hand channel only. The music and other effects are in stereo.

Can anyone tell me how I can solve this with the files I've got because all of the channels should be there but I'd like to downmix it to stereo with the dialogue track being central.

Thanks
Jo

Looking at this post again, and I think I was right with my suggestion from last night - re-rip the DVD and select 2 channel output for the audio.
I suspect that it's nigh on impossible to edit the audio on the files as you have them.

When you play the DVD in stereo the DVD player is processing the audio to stereo.
When you play movie rips fro the HDD attached to your Bluray player then I suspect that the player doesn't have processing capability over USB to reprocess multichannel movie rips to stereo.
You'd need to process the audio during the ripping process.

The Black Adder
13-06-2016, 18:34
Ah... ok, thanks Chris.

Ii'll see what I can do.

Handbrake, yes I tried that. I can't see a way to do it in that program though.