PDA

View Full Version : Hi all from Taz in the Midlands

TazSob
06-06-2016, 00:01
Since being a little kid music was always something I would turn to and chose it over the TV. Years ago when in my teens I used to wire car stereo systems... thought I was pretty good at it till my uncle bought a pair of Kef Reference 104.2's and upon hearing them I realised I knew absolutely nothing about the clarity of sound, how music could be heard so clearly that it was as if the instrument was being played live in front of you. That started my speaker interest and since have bought many speakers but always found myself being drawn to the Kef range. I at the moment am a proud keeper of a pair of Kef Celeste iii's that I acquired off a elderly lady who was gifted them at her wedding when they were new and she had looked after them really well that they still look in a new condition. My end goal is to own my own pair or two of reference 104.2's. At the present time I'm looking at restoring vintage kefs and Celestions giving them a new life rather than have them stripped and sold for bits, and get as much knowledge about them as possible before it becomes difficult to find such information.

Other speakers I own:

Celestion 120's
Celestion UL-8's
Celestion F 10's
Kef Coda iii's
Kef K 160's
Kenwood LS-83's
B&O P45's

Thank you for taking the time to read,
kind regards
Taz

Spectral Morn
06-06-2016, 10:58
Welcome to AoS Taz

TazSob
06-06-2016, 12:14
Thanks Neil ��

walpurgis
06-06-2016, 21:31
Hello Taz. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us about the rest of your system and what music you like listening to.

If you like playing with speakers, you'll be in good company. There are many of us here that do so too.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

TazSob
07-06-2016, 16:43
Hi Geoff,
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm using a onkyo tx-507 receiver connected to my telly at the moment which has the Kenwoods as fronts and Kef Celeste's as rears. The Kef k160s are zone 2, though these are overkill for my room. I'm hoping to refurb the U-L8s, bass drivers and the tweeters need replacing then use them as my fronts putting the Kenwoods in my bedroom with either a akai am-u110 or a pioneer a-221.

I had to previously give away or sell my old equipment because of some health issues, I've only in the last few years been able to concentrate on something else other than trying to get better.
This is a hobby / rehabilitation for me at the min which I hope can keep me from getting bored, plus if I can learn something and make some friends on the forum then that would be the icing.

Thanks again
Taz

Barry
09-06-2016, 18:28
Welcome to AoS Taz.

There are many here who like to restore and 'fettle' classic speakers. You will find yourself in good company!

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

TazSob
11-06-2016, 20:33
Welcome to AoS Taz.

There are many here who like to restore and 'fettle' classic speakers. You will find yourself in good company!

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm glad I found this forum and only did so by accident would you believe when looking for some information on the Celestion 120s. I've been getting lost in threads that are years old not only to find them interesting but very informative too.

Now I wouldn't say I have a taste for a certain genre in music but more of a taste for a time period within music and that is mostly music from the 80's and 90's. I believe music lost its way in the late 90's, even now I find it difficult to listen to anything recorded over the last 15/17yrs

The music or artists currently on my playlist are:
Usher
Donnel Jones
Jodeci
Keith Sweat
R Kelly
Mariah Carey
Whitney Houston
Mary J Oblige
Toni Braxton

This can change to anything from slow RnB to Hip Hop, reggae or even some dance music depending on my current mood but has to have clear bass and treble without all the instruments sounding jumbled.
Am always on the lookout for new types of music and with my interest in audio reawakened i am finding some gems out there just from watching videos on the tube. The other day I was watching a video about some $1000000 audio setup with MBL speakers and I can't remember off the top of my head what the song was but I'll be looking for it once I've got a TT setup.

hifinutt
13-06-2016, 13:18
welcome taz from not so sunny brum

TazSob
13-06-2016, 23:48
welcome taz from not so sunny brum

Hi Phil,

Thank you mate, great forum and am pleased to be here.

See your a fellow Brummie?... We're getting some terrible weather recently :rolleyes:

hifinutt
16-06-2016, 20:51
yes and a fan of celestions , one of my first speakers was a celestion floorstander and it served me well for many years !!