PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Healey - gone but not forgotten

AlexM
05-06-2016, 23:43
Actually, I had forgotten about what an amazing player Jeff Healey was, but rediscovered 'See the light' while going through my Vinyl.

What an amazing player, died back in 2008... way too soon. This clip features Marcus Miller on Bass, Dr John on Piano and Omar Hakim on drums. That's a pretty kick-ass band, right there!

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgOUzodS6E

Stratmangler
06-06-2016, 00:05
I have fond memories of seeing The Jeff Healey Band at The International, Manchester, shortly after See The Light was released.
Great band, great night.

rigger67
06-06-2016, 07:41
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/86/See_the_Light.jpg/220px-See_the_Light.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Hell_to_pay_Jeff_Healey_album_cover.jpg/220px-Hell_to_pay_Jeff_Healey_album_cover.jpg

I took a friend to his gig at Pompey Guildhall when he toured the UK between See the Light and Hell To Pay and it was a great show.

I can vividly remember the first twenty minutes or so because the whole place was strangely subdued. He played two songs back to back with barely a gap between them and then everything went quiet and he leaned into the mic and hollered
"Hey Portsmouth ! It's really good to SEE YOU ALL tonight !!"
and laughed heartily.

Everyone collectively sighed in relief, relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the night, the main man having broached the subject of his blindness in the best way possible.
It was odd at first, seeing as he had his eyes wide open and no glasses when he performed.
(I just read he actually had fake eyes as his were removed when he was a toddler because they contracted a rare form of cancer)

Amazing the way he cradled the guitar.
I don't play but remember reading he could play notes nobody else could reach because of the spread of his fingers.
When he got excited he'd stand up, kinda half-holding the thing on his knees .. I thought he was gonna drop it, but he never did.
At one point he was playing with his feet, too - unbelievable showman.

Also, he was great in the cheesy but very watchable Patrick Swayze movie, Roadhouse, as the band leader :

eijz1hSj9u0

AlexM
06-06-2016, 09:42
He does have an amazing span because he plays the fretboard from the top, so his span is between thumb and little finger. He can certainly shred - I laughed in this clip when he started playing with his teeth better than most guitarists can play normally.

A great showman, and a sad loss. The band in this clip rocks too.. three of my favourite players... Marcus and Dr John especially

rigger67
06-06-2016, 11:57
I've shaken hands with Marcus Miller :lol:

Another amazing musician.
Makes Roy Castle look one-dimensional :eyebrows:

AlexM
06-06-2016, 13:02
I've shaken hands with Marcus Miller :lol:

Another amazing musician.
Makes Roy Castle look one-dimensional :eyebrows:

Ooh jealous!.

As a Bassist, he is one of my favourite players! Has some interesting secondary instruments too.. bass clarinet isn't one you see or hear too often. As you say a very talented and versatile musician

Spectral Morn
06-06-2016, 13:27
I didn't know he was dead :( I had a brief dalliance with the blues years ago but soon drifted back to what I usually listen to - just wasn't really for me. I am sorry to hear Jeff is gone.

rigger67
06-06-2016, 13:30
I've interviewed Mark King too - lovely bloke.

Yeah, the bass clarinet thing was amazing.
I thought it was a joke when he walked on with it .. then he started playing :eek:

AlexM
06-06-2016, 14:52
I used to be and still am a big fan of Level 42 as well.. a guilty pleasure!. They are a great live act. Their current drummer Pete Ray Biggin is an absolute monster.

Mark King is a legend.. as you say, a really nice guy. I'm a big fan of his too - I met him briefly in the Bass centre in wapping years ago. It was quite.embarassing actually. I used to go there for some strings and spend the afternoon fiddling with all of their lovely basses that I couldn't afford (they were great like that... very friendly and welcoming). Anyway, I was fiddling with a Mk.1 Status bass, playing bits of 'Dune Tune' and Mark King walked up from behind me and said 'Oi - that's my song!'. We had a nice chat and he was kind enough to show me a few of his licks.

What a nice chap - been a big fan of the band ever since.

Regards,
Alex

rigger67
06-06-2016, 15:15
They are great live, but I hate the term "guilty pleasure".
People describe ELO with it as well, but it's ridiculous on both counts if you ask me :eek:

Last time I saw them, Gary Husband was on the sticks and he was an astonishing player ..

I think some people actually describe blues rock as a guilty pleasure because it's not really very cool.
It's "dad music" I suppose, but who pays the bills round here anyway ?? :mental:

AlexM
06-06-2016, 15:37
I don't care about being cool anymore (if i ever was or did!)... if it's good its good!. I appreciate great musicianship in whatever genre.

My friends don't always follow my taste in music, but I spend enough time in the car or with headphones to listen to whatever I like!

SquireC
06-06-2016, 16:16
Jeff Healey's new album, Heal My Soul, is blistering. Some of his best stuff.