PDA

View Full Version : Funk firm SL1200 (acrylic) platter Mk1 and KAB fluid damper question

Ants
04-06-2016, 11:32
Hi, does anyone one know if the Mk 1 acrylic funk firm platter is compatible with the KAB fluid damper ? - looks like it could contact the trough of the KAB fluid damper.
Is the funk firm Mk1 platter a worthwhile upgrade ? has anyone used it with a stainless steel SDS isoplatmat ?

eu_73
04-06-2016, 12:41
Hi!
I have the Funk Firm mk1 platter.
In my opinion it is really beautiful at sight.
But the improvement, on the sound side, is little if compared to the cost of this upgrade.

I also have the Kabusa fluid damper but I can't gelo you because I have mounted another tonearm on my 1210 before buying the Funk Firm platter.

Hole this can help... :-)

Ants
05-06-2016, 06:37
Eugenio,

What changes did you hear with changing from stock platter to the Funk firm mk1 acrylic platter?
If the cost of the platter was 1/2 the original price , would it be worth it then?
Do you thinking a new tonearm and/ or cartridge has greater difference in sound quality?

=)

CageyH
05-06-2016, 06:45
I think that the platter is a "finishing touch". My priority would be the tonearm first. Your cartridge is pretty good, but a better arm would do it more justice.

Ants
05-06-2016, 07:00
Kevin, aesthetically the acrylic platter looks very nice - black or snowy white. I like the snowy white. But does it make much difference in sound compared to stock platter? is it worth the cost for a second hand one - typically about 1/2 the price (or a bit less) from new price. I don't have funds for the latest Funk version.
I have another Alphason HR100S in the wings .....although I've always wondered about a tangential tracking tonearm on the Techie...but the cost!!!

Anthony

CageyH
05-06-2016, 08:17
Once everything else is sorted, it makes a nice difference. It's not huge, but there is a difference.
I don't think I would use it with the SDS isoplatmat though. The acrylic platter just won't need it.

Ants
05-06-2016, 08:24
Ok , thanks Kevin - what mat would you use on the funk mk1 platter? - achromat or other?
I'm going the way of a alphason tonearm, the MNB (about to arrive) then PSU..... the platter might be a possibility (or perhaps a Inspire Hifi under platter mod. ) as the last thing except perhaps a better cartridge in time (quite some time).

CageyH
05-06-2016, 08:29
I used (and still do) an achromat.
If you already have the SDS, try it. You might like it.

eu_73
05-06-2016, 12:12
I think that the platter is a "finishing touch". My priority would be the tonearm first. Your cartridge is pretty good, but a better arm would do it more justice.

Totaly agree with Kevin.
The platter is a fine tuning in my opinion too.
The big steps are the tonearm, the external psu and the upgraded bearing.

Ants
05-06-2016, 22:17
Ok, thanks Eugenio Kevin. What I'm hearing is that there is not much sonic benefit for going to a new platter.
So, I have opportunity to get a second hand Mk1 funk platter (not sure how long the opportunity will last) now, but wonder if its better just to stick with the stock platter with SDS Isoplatmat (Although I do like the look of the Mk1 platter). 375 GBP or (about 780 NZD) for a MK 1 platter is a lot for 'the look' and not much sonic improvement (though still less than the 800 or more of original price). These platters don't come up all that often second hand......

CageyH
06-06-2016, 03:47
It is an improvement sonically.
When the PSU and bearing etc. have been done it is worthwhile. It brings out the best in the other parts.
I quite liked my Mk1 platter, but the mk2 just edged it for me.