PDA

View Full Version : Call me what you want im from Yorkshire

Virtual-Symmetry
31-05-2016, 17:44
You can if you want. Chicken, Cock/Cocker, Spadge/Spadger, Sausage, Sparrow/Sparrow Pie, Flower/Flower Pot etc.. This is what we may call each other up here..

I know Geordies do simular calling each other Pettle :eyebrows:

struth
31-05-2016, 17:52
You can if you want. Chicken, Cock/Cocker, Spadge/Spadger, Sausage, Sparrow/Sparrow Pie, Flower/Flower Pot etc.. This is what we may call each other up here..

I know Geordies do simular calling each other Pettle :eyebrows:

not what we call em;)

Virtual-Symmetry
31-05-2016, 17:53
:D

Marco
31-05-2016, 18:18
In Glasgow, they call each other bawbag, zoomer, beezer, bawheid, rammer, roaster, rocket/rocketeer, dobber, fud, bampot, warmer, numpty, growler, nyaff, walloper, fannybaws, tube, stoater, topper, heidcase, eejit.... All affectionately, of course! :D

Here's a little educational video on the subject:

rgo-dYAgzSs

Watch and learn! :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
31-05-2016, 18:27
forgot neeber or neebs

Marco
31-05-2016, 19:02
Don't know those ones, mate.

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
31-05-2016, 19:10
In Glasgow, they call each other bawbag, zoomer, beezer, bawheid, rammer, roaster, rocketeer, dobber, fud, bampot, warmer, numpty, growler, nyaff, walloper, fannybaws, tube, stoater, topper, heidcase, eejit.... All affectionately, of course! :D

rgo-dYAgzSs

Marco.

That's quite interesting which bit of Scotland uses these words? My mate comes from Glasgow so would be interesting to find out which ones they use. I might just drop a couple of them into a sentence casually tomorrow and see the look on his face ;)

Joe
31-05-2016, 19:18
The correct nickname for a Scotsperson is of course 'sweat'.

In Liverpudlian terms, anyone from more than a couple of miles away is a 'woollyback' or just a 'wool'. For some unfathomable reason, Birkenhead is known as 'the one-eyed city'.

Virtual-Symmetry
31-05-2016, 19:19
Interestin how some of those insults are use in Yorkshire too.

Wakefield Turntables
31-05-2016, 19:23

such as?

Marco
31-05-2016, 19:24
That's quite interesting which bit of Scotland uses these words? My mate comes from Glasgow so would be interesting to find out which ones they use. I might just drop a couple of them into a sentence casually tomorrow and see the look on his face ;)

If he comes from Glasgow, Andy, he should know all of them! However, 'dobber' and 'bawbag' have a certain ring to them... Out of interest, which part of Glasgow (or Glesga) is he from? :)

You could say: "Howz it gawn, ya dobber?" ;)

Marco.

trio leo
31-05-2016, 19:39
I guess I'll just call you Andr'e for now then.
Welcome to the AoS from me, I hope you find lots of items to keep you interested on this friendly forum.

Enjoy your music :)

cheers Al

Virtual-Symmetry
31-05-2016, 19:44
I guess I'll just call you Andr'e for now then.
Welcome to the AoS from me, I hope you find lots of items to keep you interested on this friendly forum.

Enjoy your music :)

cheers Al

:scratch: Ali ive been a member of this Forum since the offset around 2008 wannit?

:lol:

Wakefield Turntables
31-05-2016, 19:52

If he comes from Glasgow, Andy, he should know all of them! However, 'dobber' and 'bawbag' have a certain ring to them... Out of interest, which part of Glasgow (or Glesga) is he from? :)

You could say: "Howz it gawn, ya dobber?" ;)

Marco.

Not sure which bit he's from I will have to update you tomorrow

struth
31-05-2016, 21:08
:scratch: Ali ive been a member of this Forum since the offset around 2008 wannit?

Never heard of You mate ;)...

Barry
31-05-2016, 21:12
Never heard of You mate ;)...

Think André has had a number of aliases. :lol:

twickers
31-05-2016, 21:15

You keep changing your username. How many is it now? :eyebrows:

Marco
31-05-2016, 21:19
Want me to check the stats for flounces and bannings to date? :eyebrows: :D

Marco.

Barry
31-05-2016, 21:24
Want me to check the stats for flounces and bannings to date? :eyebrows: :D

Marco.

No don't do that - it's a game you can play whilst on a long drive: "Name all of André's forum user names". It's a bit like the game "Name five famous Belgians" (or even harder: "Name five famous Norwegians).

Marco
31-05-2016, 21:29
Heh-heh..... :eyebrows:

Marco.

twickers
31-05-2016, 21:32
I can name three since I joined, but there must be more.

Marco
01-06-2016, 08:55
Not sure which bit he's from I will have to update you tomorrow

Cool. Would be interesting to know which area of the city he currently lives in, and if he was born in Glasgow :)

Marco.

Marco
01-06-2016, 09:02
Meanwhile, this is what you're aiming for (no pun intended):

qwMfHvl-2ck

Marco.

struth
01-06-2016, 09:21
The torags do just that too. :D

Marco
01-06-2016, 09:32
Aye, I know... Being an older chap, you may remember this series (from the 60s), with the late (great) Stanley Baxter taking the piss out of 'Glesga lingo'... It was one of my mum and dad's favourite programmes. Quite hilarious!

TfCk_yNuTGk

Marco.

struth
01-06-2016, 09:41
Ah, oor Stanley n natt

Marco
01-06-2016, 09:51
Have you seen that series before?

Marco.

struth
01-06-2016, 10:01
Long timecago marco... My dad loved it at time.. He was born in glesgae but was only a few months old when he left for borders. He had a liking for the dialect in a humourous way. Sure there was a book made on subject too.
Stanley baxter and JRJ were great loses to Scottish and British comedy ... They made a few films together that were all superb. Only one I have is VIP set in a pow camp.

Spectral Morn
01-06-2016, 10:17
In Glasgow, they call each other bawbag, zoomer, beezer, bawheid, rammer, roaster, rocket/rocketeer, dobber, fud, bampot, warmer, numpty, growler, nyaff, walloper, fannybaws, tube, stoater, topper, heidcase, eejit.... All affectionately, of course! :D

rgo-dYAgzSs

Marco.

Many of those are spoken here to, I guess just reinforcing the closeness that exists between our former colony ;)

struth
01-06-2016, 10:31
T'other way round surely... Your all lowland calvanists originally.. Border reivers like me:D

Spectral Morn
01-06-2016, 11:55
T'other way round surely... Your all lowland calvanists originally.. Border reivers like me:D

Not really.

Northern Ulster migrated across to Scotland and the tribe that predominated gave Calendonia its name Scotland, the tribe were called the Scoti (some debate re a tribe or just a name given to these folks by the Roman's) so Scotland owes it origins, and name to Ulster and the Scoti. This is open to a degree of debate as the history is a little murky, but the Northern Irish did rule large parts of the west coast and some middle parts of Scotland for quiet a time. The influence of the Vikings eroded Dal Riata until that kingdom ceased.

Eventually Scots returned during the times of the Plantation, but Scotland did conquer parts of Ulster and the South of Ireland during the ultimately failed campaign of Robert The Bruce's son Edward in 1315, to the point that briefly Ulster was part of Scotland. However the Southern Irish, Normanised Irish and some west coast Ulster folk didn't want Scottish rule so the campaign started to fail, and died when Edward was killed in County Louth during the Battle of Faughart.

The ties are strong, in culture, language and cross immigration over the centuries but a large part of Scotland was once part of a Kingdom that spanned northern Ulster across to the islands and western mainland of Scotland - which is why I refer to Scotland as a Northern Irish colony, open to a little debate I guess lol but I feel Ulster should be aligned with Scotland not Southern England or Southern Ireland.