PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Inverness

oldclothears
22-05-2016, 12:14
My HiFi has been dormant for some time. My first system was bought from Lintone Audio in Gateshead; it was a typical system of the time, a NAD 3021 (first generation), Dual CS505 turntable with a Grado FTE+1 and a pair of Kef CodaIIs.
Later came the Rega3, Philips 473 and Audiolab 8000C. I did have a lovely Nagaoka MP-50, but I broke the boron cantilever when a bit drunk. So along came an Audio Technical AT-F5/OCC which has remained there ever since.
The Kefs had to go, I got a pair of Celef minipro-sm, great sound but the cone surrounds had had it, and I had misgivings about the tweeters when I realised that a nasty peak had been tamed by an LC in the crossover. I saw a pair of Musical Fidelity MC something's and mused, same size enclosure, easily available Elac ti treewters and Audax TPR woofers (both very recognisable, so in they went. Excellent.
Also a pair of black ash Rogers LS3/5as made their way in.
Amplification was letting me down and I wanted to do this myself. After much consideration, Rauch was selected, it had to go monoblocks, massive toroidal transformers and vast amounts of capacitance (800VA, 60,000uF and 100v rails). These babies were rated for 300w into 8ohm and 600w into 4 ohm, ridiculously fast slew rate and low output impedance.
The best arrangement I had was in a detached house on the northwest of Scotland with my nearest neighbours at least 600m away. The modified Celefs each driven by a Rauch underneath, cable under the floor to the Audiolab (low output impedance an easily able to drive a cable). I could play my music at a comfortable volume with no compression at all, you only knew that it was loud when you spoke and realised.
Kids came along and the turntable had to go up to the loft, Rauch and Celefs put away (too dangerous for toddlers). LS3/5as on wall brackets using the NAD's power amp driven by the Audiolab, didn't sound too bad, but not good enough.
The old stuff is slowly coming back.
I also have a pair of BBC LS-1s with the Parmeko coaxial driver and Lorenz tweeter that were saved from the dump. Stupid me didn't keep the cabinets, just the front baffles and mega crossovers. I tried them for the first time recently and it is surprising how good a 1950 speaker can be. I can't really keep them (I'm their curator) and they are going to have to be sold to someone who can make proper use of them. There's not much info that I can find, but they do seem to be very rare and sought after.

struth
22-05-2016, 13:07
Nice intro Ian.. Hope you enjoy the forum:)

Macca
22-05-2016, 13:48
I just assumed kids in the loft as that is the most logical arrangement.

But welcome to the forum, seems like you have some interesting kit.

struth
22-05-2016, 13:57
My kids used to "camp out" in the loft with pals lol... It could be noisey so flung em out in the rain;)

Spectral Morn
22-05-2016, 14:12
Welcome to AoS

Love Inverness :)

oldclothears
22-05-2016, 21:37
Hi Neil, I'm rather fond of Inverness as well.

oldclothears
22-05-2016, 21:39
Thanks Grant.

oldclothears
22-05-2016, 21:42
Hi Macca.
Shove the kids up and take away the ladder.
I see you have an MP50, I was gutted when I discovered that I had broken mine. A replacement stylus was stunningly expensive which is why I went moving coil.

Macca
22-05-2016, 21:51
I had an MP30 years ago and loved it. So when the chance of an MP50 came up...a new stylus for it was £220 IIRC so not cheap but I rarely play my vinyl so over the years it works out not too bad.

Virtual-Symmetry
23-05-2016, 10:08
:lolsign: That's insaine.. You don't play records much for fear of using up the Styli life :lol:

It aint the last cart on erf, you just gotta find a cheaper alternative dat sarnds as goowd.. I was gutted when i could nay get Styli for mi Pickering 'XLZ-7500S'...When the styli were still available they were £300.00, then i knew i had to find summert else.. Yorkshire foowerk being tight as a ducks arse is de rigueur see.

ps: You can get more life out of a tip than Hi-Fi dudes have you believe ;)

Spectral Morn
23-05-2016, 10:14
Hi Neil, I'm rather fond of Inverness as well.

Special part of the world, lovely city, scenery etc. Is the amazing bookshop in the church still there ?

Virtual-Symmetry
23-05-2016, 10:30
I love Scot Highlands. My Mothers side of the family are Scots, we used to be up there all the time when i was younger.

Macca
23-05-2016, 11:23
:lolsign: That's insaine.. You don't play records much for fear of using up the Styli life :lol:

It aint the last cart on erf, you just gotta find a cheaper alternative dat sarnds as goowd.. I was gutted when i could nay get Styli for mi Pickering 'XLZ-7500S'...When the styli were still available they were £300.00, then i knew i had to find summert else.. Yorkshire foowerk being tight as a ducks arse is de rigueur see.

ps: You can get more life out of a tip than Hi-Fi dudes have you believe ;)

I just don't play vinyl records much, prefer cd, it has nothing to do with the cost of the needle!

Virtual-Symmetry
23-05-2016, 11:26
O ok. Just one thing.. Why on gods erf do you prefer CDee?

:eyebrows:

Macca
23-05-2016, 11:29
'Cause I'm deaf and stupid :)

Virtual-Symmetry
23-05-2016, 11:33
I am too, but not that def :rfl:

oldclothears
23-05-2016, 17:25
Special part of the world, lovely city, scenery etc. Is the amazing bookshop in the church still there ?

Yes the bookshop is still here, good place to buy old maps if you find that kind of thing interesting.

Spectral Morn
23-05-2016, 19:24
Yes the bookshop is still here, good place to buy old maps if you find that kind of thing interesting.

Great shop, nice to hear its still in business. Not been there in maybe 5 years I think.

Floyddroid
24-05-2016, 22:33
Brill intro. Look forwards to reading your posts.

Barry
01-06-2016, 15:56
Welcome to AoS Ian.

Great introduction and some nice gear you use.

Shame about the BBC LS-1s; there are some here who would be very interested in them. (I didn't know Parmeko made drive units.)

Yes, boron cantilevers are fragile buggers - I've broken one as well! :doh:

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Aligauld
01-06-2016, 16:32
Hi there
and welcome from a Dingwall lad.
Glad to hear Charlie Leakies bookshop is still going

Cheers,
Alistair