PDA

View Full Version : Optical cable problem..

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 11:48
So, following on from a thread here a while back I ordered a cheapo toslink cable without even thinking about getting one of Stans (It was suggested that I got one from the Man, but I had already placed my order..) - it has arrived, and when I connect it, I get nothing at all.
So, seems to me that either the cable is faulty, my optical out on my iRiver is faulty, or maybe my optical in on the Caiman is faulty. Or, I may be doing something dumb.
Having never used one before, I have no idea if the optical out on the iRiver works, and have no other way or trying it out - unless you have any suggestions. I doubt it is the Caiman, but before I order one of Stans cables is there anything I need to check ??
The sound coming via the usb out into my pc then on to the Caiman is wonderful, so I am hoping for more if I can get the optical to work.
Thanks for any ideas..

Themis
17-11-2009, 12:37
Some optical cables have a transparent cache attached to their ends, which needs removing.
On the other hand, look at the iRiver documentation to see whether the optical out is always on : it may depend on the compression ratio of what you listen, for instance. Or perhaps there's a setting to activate it.

StanleyB
17-11-2009, 13:32
Put the iRiver in the play mode and remove the TOSLINK cable at the DAC end. Check the tip of the TOSLINK cable to see if you can detect a little red light beam. Don't look into the beam.. If there is no light, you got a problem at the iRiver end.

If you are playing back music from the iRiver that you ripped from CD, you won't get a better performance than the USB offers you.

Alex_UK
17-11-2009, 15:03
Put the iRiver in the play mode and remove the TOSLINK cable at the DAC end. Check the tip of the TOSLINK cable to see if you can detect a little red light beam. Don't look into the beam.. If there is no light, you got a problem at the iRiver end.

This is exactly what I would suggest - it should be obvious that the red light is coming through the cable, and the system really is quite crude - if you place 2 Toslik cables roughly end to end you would still get sound.

Is there some option in the firmware to turn on the optical output? There often is with things like Playstations and xbox 360s so that might be the answer - my guess is it would use the battery up quicker so you would want an option to only turn it on if you need it.

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 15:11
Hmm - thanks for the replies - no red light in this district, so will go check my instruction book - I so hate to do that !!
It never crossed my mind that it may need enabling.
As for what you say Stan - the USB out from the iRiver is a mini USB, so I cannot (from what little I know) go direct into the Caiman, so am going via the laptop, which seems a little messy..

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 15:11
Hmm - thanks for the replies - no red light in this district, so will go check my instruction book - I so hate to do that !!
It never crossed my mind that it may need enabling.
As for what you say Stan - the USB out from the iRiver is a mini USB, so I cannot (from what little I know) go direct into the Caiman, so am going via the laptop, which seems a little messy..

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 15:28
Was it Ian Dury who proclaimed that there had been some clever folks around...
Well, my optical out is now working, my laptop is freed up, and I am one happy chappy !

Many thanks all !

Alex_UK
17-11-2009, 15:57
Yay - nice one Steve!

:gig:

(I've always wanted to use that smiley, but I've held off all this time!)

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 16:29
I feel honoured !
It amazes me just how mch there is to learn about all this technolgy that is meant to make our lives easier - different cables, plugs, file formats and on the list goes..
I have had my iRiver for years, and clearly have only ever needed to use a few basic functions (play, stop and volume). Men - we are clearly simple beings. Or maybe it is just me.
No replies needed thanks.

Covenant
17-11-2009, 20:29
I think most of us feel a bit defeated if we need to read an instruction book.
We have just had a new boiler fitted with a fancy programmer in the hall. I waited until the wife wasn't around to get the instructions out on setting it up. (And then pretended I knew all along)

steveinspain
17-11-2009, 21:34
I am among fellow men I feel - Thanks Jerry !

Mike
17-11-2009, 21:45
What are these "instructions" of which you speak? :scratch:

Alex_UK
17-11-2009, 22:12
What are these "instructions" of which you speak? :scratch:

I think they are kept with how do you say - "maps" ?:confused:

steveinspain
18-11-2009, 07:55
Are maps not those things wives turn around and around, trying to find which way the roads goes..?