PDA

View Full Version : Plectrum - joining The Art of Sound

Plectrum
21-05-2016, 10:56
Greetings to all. First post in the Welcome Hall.

Joining today to read the pearls of wisdom on display here. Life long interest in hi-fi and music dating from student days in late 1970s. I now have the time to enjoy a new (small) listening room and a renewed interest in vinyl. Regards Chris.

struth
21-05-2016, 11:01
Welcome Chris. Sure you,ll enjoy the forum. Join in the discussions too.:)
What system do you use presently?

Spectral Morn
21-05-2016, 14:10
Welcome to AoS Chris :)

Plectrum
21-05-2016, 18:40
Thanks for the encouragement.

I have the following connected
A Voyd Valdi with RB900 and Ortofon Rondo Bronze in use. Anatek MCR1 Phonostage feeding a Hattor Passive Preamp and Chapter Couplet Power amp. Speakers are PMC FB1+. CD replay through a modified Roksan Caspian . There are a few other pieces in reserve for a rainy day. My listening room isn't large......less than 10ft x 8 ft cosy and the floorstanders don't sound out of place.

struth
21-05-2016, 19:12
Nice equipment... good phono stage that. No reason big speakers in small space wont work well. Marco uses huge tannoys in a room smaller that thaat......:)

Macca
21-05-2016, 21:38
Hi Chris and welcome to AOS. I still listen to the records I bought as a student too. I think I had better taste in music then ;)

Plectrum
21-05-2016, 22:38
Yes I agree. I still have the majority of albums dating from those days. Many bear a little Permostat label and are (unsurprisingly) not dusty as a result. The collection has been brought out of retirement just as I approach it. I no longer have the Watts Dust Bug that used to grace my Rega Planar 3 from those days. Favorite album from those days must have been Remain in Light by Talking Heads.

struth
21-05-2016, 22:44
Permostat has a bad dedregation record over the years, and seems to cause a lot of distortion and dirt on styli when this happens. Cannot say this always happens but I have seen it happen.

Macca
21-05-2016, 23:01
Favorite album from those days must have been Remain in Light by Talking Heads.

That is one I had on cassette but don't have it anymore. I'll remedy that.

Thinking about it, favourite album as a student could be a good thread. Hard to pick one but my gut says Argus, Wishbone Ash.

struth
21-05-2016, 23:06
wasnt a student all that long, but mine would be Zep 1.. still their best album:eyebrows: remember buying it when it came out.. was in the music box in Bathgate, and I'd never heard of them but liked the zep on front