PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Madness

steve dixon
16-11-2009, 12:10
hi,
i've finally finished ripping 587 cd's onto an external hdd (280bg used of 450) it's been a long boring, soul destroying job, but i've got every cd i own on the damn thing. all in aiff tagged, artwork etc etc, now i can play anything with a touch of the iphone, i've got to get another couple of drives to back it all up, i'm not taking any chances because i'm not doing that again!!!
is it worth it? well i bloody hope so! and unless you want me to come round and burn your house down with everybody in it DON'T, JUST DON'T suggest that i should have used flac or apple lossless or anything else.

i'm off to lie down in a dark room now for a while.

steve

DSJR
16-11-2009, 12:15
Now for a pair of ADM9.1's to enjoy those files with :lol:

Rare Bird
16-11-2009, 12:16
Steve hope you used FLAC

:sofa:

Took me two & half weeks to rip all mine into FLAC, i was well peed orf with it..

Themis
16-11-2009, 14:48
hi,
i've finally finished ripping 587 cd's onto an external hdd (280bg used of 450) it's been a long boring, soul destroying job, but i've got every cd i own on the damn thing. all in aiff tagged, artwork etc etc, now i can play anything with a touch of the iphone, i've got to get another couple of drives to back it all up, i'm not taking any chances because i'm not doing that again!!!
is it worth it? well i bloody hope so! and unless you want me to come round and burn your house down with everybody in it DON'T, JUST DON'T suggest that i should have used flac or apple lossless or anything else.

i'm off to lie down in a dark room now for a while.

steve
Good job !
For the record, I did it three times with my own collection... (of about the same number of albums).

Now what can I tell you :
1st : make a couple of backups. HDD costs nothing compared with the time invested to do the ripping right.
2nd : if you want to change lossless compression, DON'T PANIC ! :) There's dbPoweramp Batch Converter which does exactly that in a couple of mouse-clicks ! :eyebrows:

steve dixon
16-11-2009, 17:03
yes of course, i'm going to buy two ext hdd's and back - up to them both and put them away somewhere safe. i really don't want to do that again, although i'm glad to have done it in the first place.
thanks
steve

steve dixon
16-11-2009, 17:05
Steve hope you used FLAC

:sofa:

Took me two & half weeks to rip all mine into FLAC, i was well peed orf with it..

no as stated in the original post i went for aiff, it's a soul destroying job already without having to tag everything manually.

i'll be round to your house later with a molotov cocktail.

thanks
steve

StanleyB
16-11-2009, 17:13
no as stated in the original post i went for aiff, it's a soul destroying job already without having to tag everything manually.

Have you ever heard of MediaMonkey? It would have saved you a lot of the manual work.

Stratmangler
16-11-2009, 17:19
it's a soul destroying job already without having to tag everything manually.

Which ripping tool did you use ?
I use EAC which is set to create folders and tags automatically.

I've had a play with dbPoweramp, and it also sets up folders and tags automatically ?

Chris:scratch:

steve dixon
16-11-2009, 21:24
yes i've heard of most of the ripping programmes but being a mac head through and through i stuck with....... whisper it...... itunes. there i said it, i think itunes works just fine, does what it sez on the tin etc etc.

when faced with windoze i start to get all jittery, break into a cold sweat and run screaming from the room, usually just after i've smashed the crap out of the....... i can hardly bring my self to say it......... p.c. (cold shiver down the spine)

so right now i'm a happy bunny, now i just need a caimen and a sugden a21a or maybe a valve amp.

cheers
steve

Themis
16-11-2009, 21:28
iTunes does it's job, no worries.

Just don't feed it damaged CDs...no I didn't say it...

Alex_UK
16-11-2009, 22:14
I did 2,000 odd CDs 5 years ago, (on dial up, took over 3 months) and have now decided to start again, but I will probably stick with itunes and go WAV - once in WAV it can be converted to pretty much anything, and played on anything

badlyread
17-11-2009, 06:15
Well done Steve! I'm still ripping to my Mac Mini (917 CDs so far but the end in sight) and it is boring and time consuming work. The reward is the arrival of a Transporter this week to make it all worthwhile!!

Must get some back up drives......

steve dixon
17-11-2009, 07:49
I did 2,000 odd CDs 5 years ago, (on dial up, took over 3 months) and have now decided to start again, but I will probably stick with itunes and go WAV - once in WAV it can be converted to pretty much anything, and played on anything

i strongly suggest you don't use wav, why? well you'd have to tag and assign artwork to each individual file which is the real ballache, afterall slotting in a disc and pulling it out a minute later is easy.

of course it's entirely your choice but i suspect you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.

good luck
steve

StanleyB
17-11-2009, 08:22
i strongly suggest you don't use wav, why? well you'd have to tag and assign artwork to each individual file which is the real ballache, afterall slotting in a disc and pulling it out a minute later is easy.

of course it's entirely your choice but i suspect you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.

As with most things in life, if you pick the appropriate software the above statement is easily solved. MediaMonkey and TAG&RENAME do not have any of those limitations:).

trailer
17-11-2009, 08:45
I bought a ReadyNAS Duo a few months ago.

Great bit of kit for backing up data. I'd heard the stories of how loud the fan is but it really isn't at all.

Edwin66
17-11-2009, 10:47

good luck
steve
EAC does the tagging for you when ripping WAV, possibly not the artwork though.

Stratmangler
17-11-2009, 11:22
so right now i'm a happy bunny, now i just need a caimen and a sugden a21a or maybe a valve amp.

I'd suggest one of these (http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_KEL84.html) - I've not heard any of my valve-head friends speak badly of it. There's even a buy built option if you can't handle a soldering iron.

Chris:)

DanJennings
17-11-2009, 11:23
J-River Media Center does the lot, tagging, artwork, and names automatically for every format I can think of... mp3, aac, wav, apple lossless(I think), ogg, flac, aif, wma

Stratmangler
17-11-2009, 11:24
EAC does the tagging for you when ripping WAV, possibly not the artwork though.

I use EAC myself, and no, it doesn't find the artwork.

Steve did earlier declare that he uses a Mac, so EAC is not an option, 'cos it's Windoze only.

Chris:)

Alex_UK
17-11-2009, 14:50
you'll soon get tired of typing every album/artist/song name/adding artwork and find yourself wishing you'd used apple lossless/aiff where itunes will automatically add all the info for you.

Indeed I would! But my limited experiments with itunes showed no difference in tagging when ripping to WAV or ALAC? I'm not bothered about the artwork - I only ever use the list view in itunes, and would rather have more space for tracks than the pics. But I do take your point, and others that say don't worry about it! Thing is, I spend all day with computers, so the last thing I want to do is bugger around - I just want itunes to do everything for me - lazy sod me!

trailer
17-11-2009, 14:59
And you need an iTunes account remember for the automatic art download (not that it is the best to be fair) to function.

Carson
20-11-2009, 00:43
I personally would recommend Winamp.
I used it to rip a CD collection of 325 albums in FLAC with all appropriate Tags, except (and I regret it now :doh:) album art. Apart from that, it took me about 5 minutes per CD if I remember right and 99% of the time it would automatically tag the songs and name them appropriately.

For managing all my music files after they have been ripped, I use TagScanner to rename, edit tags, apply album art, etc. It is a very powerful tool!

Hello everyone by the way....yes, I am indeed new here :)

James

The Grand Wazoo
20-11-2009, 09:16
Hi James,
A very warm welcome to The Art of Sound.
Perhaps you could indulge us all by getting yourself off to the 'Welcome' section to formally say hello and tell us a bit about yourself. (Not everyone will be reading posts in this section). Then, you could scurry off to the Gallery & post many, many fantastic photos of your system in all it's glory! We love to see photos!

Cheers

Carson
20-11-2009, 12:55
Hi James,
A very warm welcome to The Art of Sound.
Perhaps you could indulge us all by getting yourself off to the 'Welcome' section to formally say hello and tell us a bit about yourself. (Not everyone will be reading posts in this section). Then, you could scurry off to the Gallery & post many, many fantastic photos of your system in all it's glory! We love to see photos!

Cheers

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the welcome section. I shall pay that a visit shortly.
Photos might be a little more tricky for reasons I shall explain in the welcome section, but we shall see.

webby
20-11-2009, 14:45
all in aiff tagged, artwork etc etc

Hi Steve,

I'm also a mac man through and through.

May I ask why you chose to rip to aiff rather than say, alac?

I know you said not to ask, but I'm intrigued.

Are lossless formats actually lossy?

Lee

Themis
20-11-2009, 14:48
Hi Steve,

I'm also a mac man through and through.

May I ask why you chose to rip to aiff rather than say, alac?

I know you said not to ask, but I'm intrigued.

Are lossless formats actually lossy?

Lee
AIFF is easier to stream, I guess : it is accepted by a wide range of servers.
MUch more future-proof than ALAC.

webby
20-11-2009, 14:58
Some streamers don't accept ALAC then?

Themis
20-11-2009, 17:31
Some streamers don't accept ALAC then?
Plenty of streamers don't accept ALAC.
ALAC is a proprietary format and -normally- you need Apple software to decode it. Apple can change it without notice to unauthorized users. In other words, you need Apple's assistance to bundle it into a streamer. :)

trailer
20-11-2009, 17:33
But with the market share that iTunes has it would be wise to manufacturers to include it I would say.

Which streamers don't support it out of interest?

Themis
20-11-2009, 17:42
Which streamers don't support it out of interest?
Squeezebox, don't support it natively, for instance. You need server decoding. ;)
Neither Denon nor Sony streamers support it. And it won't change, I assure you.

The main problem is that ALAC is not used for electronically distributing lossless music. Only FLAC or WMA lossless are used.

webby
20-11-2009, 19:36
Ok, but just checking here, if I'm planning going say, mac to apple airport express into a Caiman into an amp, then ALAC is no different to any other lossless format, no?

Themis
20-11-2009, 19:50
Yes, ALAC is a true lossless format : no worse (and no better) than any other.
It's perfect as long as you stay with your MAC and your AE. :)