PDA

View Full Version : Wtd: A Valve Integrated - budget £1,100

hughandella
17-05-2016, 19:30
The back story is too big to write here but if someone has a quality tube amp that they want to move on --- I have a short window of opportunity cash-wise --- it could involve spending funds before a.n. other realises !
Via SW1X I have a great digital front end - all with tube output stages --- but I'd love to finish it off with a simple tube integrated (and I include single input power amps as all signals will come via my DAC) ... I dream of a Yamamoto but perhaps overly hopeful ..... I have snells which can work well down to at he very least 10w and I suspect lower (as I'm not a volume monster) so a good SET is not out of the question (price aside) but for example if someone came up with a Yamamoto I'd look at my speakers ----- gentlemen should you choose to accept this mission you have 48 hours ...... if you are at £1,250 don't despair - if you are at £1,700 you probably should despair of me -- you wont be the first !

Firebottle
17-05-2016, 19:40
How about my AIR hybrid power amplifier, I can fit a volume control on the input.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?42381-Firebottle-AIR-hybrid-Power-Amplifier

There is a loan unit you can try out without obligation, and it's half your budget ;)

Arkless Electronics
17-05-2016, 20:01
I'm guessing a vintage valve integrated needing a little tlc is not what you have in mind? I have a Rogers HG88 MkII here for a fraction of your budget!

Jonboy
17-05-2016, 20:46
Audio note OTO se

hughandella
17-05-2016, 21:30
How about my AIR hybrid power amplifier, I can fit a volume control on the input.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?42381-Firebottle-AIR-hybrid-Power-Amplifier

There is a loan unit you can try out without obligation, and it's half your budget ;)

sorry but I want to go pure valves -- I think hybrids can be good but not for this project ! tks

hughandella
17-05-2016, 21:31
I'm guessing a vintage valve integrated needing a little tlc is not what you have in mind? I have a Rogers HG88 MkII here for a fraction of your budget!

tks Jez but i am all thumbs when it comes to TLC .. i need the finished article .... and shallow enough to care how it looks too !

hughandella
17-05-2016, 21:38

tks Jez but i am all thumbs when it comes to TLC .. i need the finished article .... and shallow enough to care how it looks too !

hughandella
18-05-2016, 11:12
Thanks to everyone for suggestions and offers.
I'm now sorted however ---- i was given a too good to miss offer from Lynn at Definitive Audio ( on hi fi only I stress !) and have picked up a 2 year old Sophia Electric 126S so I'm a happy bunny -- its a well regarded £5k amp so it should be great, I may still be doing a swap on something for an Almarra as well though so I'll have the chance to back to back them and I can't keep both so there may be a nice amp coming up in a few weeks --- tks again ..... and if anyone has experience of the Sophia I'd be interested to hear --- Obv I haven't auditioned it but I trust Lynn and the reviews are very encouraging and they certainly know about tubes !

cheers
chris

Firebottle
18-05-2016, 13:17
Nice one Chris, good looking unit as well.

Keep us posted with how it performs :)

Sherwood
18-05-2016, 18:16
I don't know if you have seen my post for an Antique Sounds Labs Integrated It's an EL84 design, quality build and genuine low use (in storage for years whilst I was working in the tropics).

hughandella
18-05-2016, 19:02
I don't know if you have seen my post for an Antique Sounds Labs Integrated It's an EL84 design, quality build and genuine low use (in storage for years whilst I was working in the tropics).

sorted now but tks