PDA

View Full Version : Old diy`er dropping in

unfairlane
17-05-2016, 06:22
Hello AoS!

Upgraded my "comeback to vinyl" with a nice old Sony TT some weeks ago and thought I needed some inspiration.
Me I have designed my own 4-ways speakers way back and while working on this project I have discovered a few things about how to build
speakers, amps, cables and so on.
My system has been untouched for about twenty years now until I started up playin (with) vinyl again a few years back.

My system:

Speakers: My own construction, 4-way 1.order asymetric/no absorbers
Power: Electrocompaniet AW-250DMB (heavily modified)
Pre: Electrocompaniet EC-4,5x2
CD: Denon DCD-3560 (did anyone say modified?)
Cassette: Nakamichi BX-202 (modified)
Tuner: Denon TU800RD (not so much)
DAC-cheats: Behringer DEQ2496 (not yet)
RIAA: Audion Premier (modified)
Turntable: Sony PS1800A (modified) stlll stock arm, several MM`s
I`m off course making my own cables; this is another story.

Been freshing up my fifty year old turntable lately, trying out somme classic MM-cartidges and buying russian tubes. Looking forward to join the forums!

Firebottle
17-05-2016, 06:56
'I`ve diy`ed myself into a corner' ......well I just love those speakers, fantastic alternative to the traditional rectangular box.

A big welcome from another avid diy'er, you'll fit in well here Reidar.

Tell us more about the speakers in 'The Drawing Board' section, are they just port loaded?

:)

unfairlane
17-05-2016, 07:25
"Just"? I`ve never thought I would end up with a bassreflex-system, but I`ve learned along the way. While a stuffed cabinet works moore like a exhaust-muffler or a silencer, a undamped asymetric cabinet acts moore like a horn or a open exhaust-system since no energy is "absorbed". This gives the bass-port quite another meaning, it treally contributes, it can be tuned a bit deeper and the bass-system plays a lot cleaner. Instead of sounding like a family-car through some "legal" mufflers + catalysators this reminds moore of a tuned race-enegine through open race-exhaust.

A typical comment is: "the speakers are not only linear in frequence, they are dynamic linear too.." Well I`ve worked a lot on that, to eliminate any dynamic loss, electric or acoustic. A lot of the things I have (re-) discovered was well known back in the old tube-days, before cheap transistorwatts made speakerdesigners think they could come up with book-shelf speakers stuffed with absorbers andcomplex passive filters as long as they could claim to be "frequence-linear" :rolleyes: (I love this smiley)

I have came to learn that there is a huge dynamic loss in passive filters and speaker-cables too. This lead me into re-building amps; custom made trafos, powercables+++

Will check ot the drawing-board, need to look around

The most of the filters:

struth
17-05-2016, 08:57
Hello and welcome Reidar. Interesting stuff your got and i too, like the speaker design.. Hope to see you posting around the site

walpurgis
17-05-2016, 09:18
Hello Reidar. Welcome to AOS from me too.

You have some nice equipment. The speakers look very impressive. Is that a Lenco turntable or could it be a Dual, I see on the shelf.

DIY audio projects are very popular. You could feature ongoing work in the Drawing Board section. It would be appreciated.

Tell us what music you listen to and what you are doing with the turntable and cartridges.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.