PDA

View Full Version : Speaker stand stability issue- advice please!

Phil Bishop
16-11-2009, 09:31
Hi,

I have a couple of basic Apollo stands which I use for my AVI N5 speakers. A few months back, I had a mishap where my daughter (in her haste to turn the TV on) knocked one of my speakers off it's perch and on to the laminate floor :doh:

It is to the credit of the build quality of AVI gear that although there was a whopping dent in the floor, the speaker sustained only a minor chip and still works perfectly:)

Anyway, it got me thinking that I needed to do something about making my standmounts more secure. Having taken advice, I now use blobs of blu tak to fix the speakers to the stands which certainly improves things. However, I could do with increasing the stability of the stands themselves by making them more stable. They are hollow BUT (and this is the key issue) have quite wide diameter holes drilled top and bottom (in the tube) so one can pass cables down the inside of the tubes for tidiness.

With such stands, pouring lead shot or sand in will not work because it would just run out of the bottom hole. Anyone come across this issue and found a solution? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

The Grand Wazoo
16-11-2009, 09:44
Just an idea - I've never had this problem, but why don't you try part filling several balloons with sand. It won't run out the bottom, but it will take up the shape of the inside of the tube, allowing the distribution to be similar in both stands. Put a similar weight of sand into each balloon & chuck in as many balloons worth as you think you'll need. I wouldn't fill it to the top myself, that way you'll keep the centre of gravity down lower.

Cheers!

hifi_dave
16-11-2009, 11:13
Balloons or plastic bags should do the trick but bear in mind that the filling will alter the sound. Don't overdo it at first. Suck and see what happens as you put more in.

DSJR
16-11-2009, 12:23
Can the speakers be wall mounted on some target S8's or similar? If not, as stated above.

Good luck. You could try part filling with ballast and topping up with cat-litter....

Phil Bishop
20-11-2009, 20:08
Chaps,

Great advice - thanks! I wonder about the cat litter though - we have a cat and he may get confused!

Phil

The Vinyl Adventure
20-11-2009, 20:31
my speaker stands have a full packing of sand.. a warning - dont put them on your foot as you trip over the back of the sofa..... not that that even happend to me last week .... .... ....

Rare Bird
20-11-2009, 21:14
my speaker stands have a full packing of sand.. a warning - dont put them on your foot as you trip over the back of the sofa..... not that that even happend to me last week .... .... ....

& don't accidently drop a fully loaded stand on your foot when putting on the floor like i did last year, those spike make for profuse bleeding

:mental:

aquapiranha
20-11-2009, 21:19
Cover the hole, pour in some concrete. Leave to set. Job done.

;-)