PDA

View Full Version : King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard ‎– Nonagon Infinity - Oh dear, oh dear.

The Black Adder
16-05-2016, 08:21
Hey all.

I bought this recently on vinyl (which is still not here) and Flac.

I first heard this band a few years ago but I lost touch with them until this release. Now the album on a whole is simply magnificent, hard pumping psych/rock. I bought it when I heard it through my laptop which sounded great so when I downloaded the Flac version and popped it on the system I was really very disappointed.

On hearing the Flac version I had to question the quality and so I downloaded the Wav version. On hearing that, both versions were the same.

The problem with this album is the sound quality.

To put it in to perspective, firstly the whole album sounds like it's been recorded to high 'and then' sampled at a really low sample rate of about 8khz. Yes... it's really that bad. There is everything that shouldn't be in there and the sound is as flat as a fart and compressed to buggery. The high frequency is totally sheared off. :doh:

If you get chance to have a listen then do so simply for the amazment of how bad the production is.

....But, it's a great album... AAArgh!

Aparently there is nothing wrong with the quality... it's how the band wanted it. They wanted it dark sounding, dirty and distorted... Great, I love all those things but only when it's done right. This has simply NOT been done right.

Shame, great tracks.

rikardo1979
16-05-2016, 08:42
Hey all.

I bought this recently on vinyl (which is still not here) and Flac.

I first heard this band a few years ago but I lost touch with them until this release. Now the album on a whole is simply magnificent, hard pumping psych/rock. I bought it when I heard it through my laptop which sounded great so when I downloaded the Flac version and popped it on the system I was really very disappointed.

On hearing the Flac version I had to question the quality and so I downloaded the Wav version. On hearing that, both versions were the same.

The problem with this album is the sound quality.

To put it in to perspective, firstly the whole album sounds like it's been recorded to high 'and then' sampled at a really low sample rate of about 8khz. Yes... it's really that bad. There is everything that shouldn't be in there and the sound is as flat as a fart and compressed to buggery. The high frequency is totally sheared off. :doh:

If you get chance to have a listen then do so simply for the amazment of how bad the production is.

....But, it's a great album... AAArgh!

Aparently there is nothing wrong with the quality... it's how the band wanted it. They wanted it dark sounding, dirty and distorted... Great, I love all those things but only when it's done right. This has simply NOT been done right.

Shame, great tracks.

trying now from Tidal http://listen.tidal.com/album/59882243 but only on Z-cinema Logitech speakers, thats all I have at work :D

edit:..not my cup of tea :)

lovejoy
16-05-2016, 09:12
Thanks for the heads up on this. Been meaning to give it a go but haven't got round to it yet. I discovered these from their 'I'm in your mind fuzz' album a couple of years ago which I love but that's all I have of theirs. Wonder if it's better on vinyl - is it the recording or the mastering that's so bad.

I had the same issue with Low's latest album which I love, but listening to it via Tidal over the weekend it's terribly mastered, just far too hot, which just doesn't suit their music at all. Hopefully the vinyl version of that is a lot more sympathetic.

martian sunrise
16-05-2016, 09:27
it's all the rage at the moment for bands to have the scuzzy, fuzzed out sound. I can only assume that it makes them feel more authentically like the 60s/70s bands thay are taking their inspiration from.

if it is done right (see: uncle acid - bloodlust) it is great, but i agree, with this king g album it is poo.

The Black Adder
16-05-2016, 09:33
Thanks for the heads up on this. Been meaning to give it a go but haven't got round to it yet. I discovered these from their 'I'm in your mind fuzz' album a couple of years ago which I love but that's all I have of theirs. Wonder if it's better on vinyl - is it the recording or the mastering that's so bad.

I had the same issue with Low's latest album which I love, but listening to it via Tidal over the weekend it's terribly mastered, just far too hot, which just doesn't suit their music at all. Hopefully the vinyl version of that is a lot more sympathetic.

No probs... it's a superb album. I think it's probably the mastering to be honest because you can hear the production and that sounds like it 'should' be fine. It's like someone switched it down from 44.1khz to 8khz. It's distorted, slurred and in a digital way, not a nice analogue way. I keep expecting it to pop out in to a lovely fuzz of clarity but it doesn't, it's so flat.

It really does sound very low-fi... and not in a cool way. :(

Ii just hope it's not a money spinner for the future, a re-mastered version... lol - I wouldn't put it past them.

I've been told that the vinyl version is the same mix too... but I need to wait and see... I'll update this thread when I know for sure. Hopefully it will be done properly.

The Black Adder
16-05-2016, 09:38
it's all the rage at the moment for bands to have the scuzzy, fuzzed out sound. I can only assume that it makes them feel more authentically like the 60s/70s bands thay are taking their inspiration from.

if it is done right (see: uncle acid - bloodlust) it is great, but i agree, with this king g album it is poo.

YES, YES YES... Brilliant album, produced really well and sounds top.

If this is a fad at the moment then I'm simply amazed, truly. I love my distortion and fuzz but it's an art to get it right. It's a waste of vinyl.

What is going on?... I might as well dig out my C64 and sample it through that... GRR!

Ii agree, in regards for taking inspiration from 60's/70's bands for texture but yes... King G have got it monumentally and catastrophically wrong.... man alive.

martian sunrise
16-05-2016, 14:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xgwgDlQfZQ

you might like this, if you are a fan of the King G stuff - apologies if you already know it!

i saw them a month or two ago. amazing stuff

lovejoy
16-05-2016, 15:00
Thee Oh Sees are one of the most exciting bands around at the moment. Mutilator Defeated at Last is my joint favourite album of 2015, along with Girl Band's 'Holding hands with Jamie'. I'd love to see them live. I was trying to choose between End of the road festival or Green Man this year and plumped for Green Man. Guess what - They're playing End of the road :doh:

The Black Adder
16-05-2016, 15:09
Yeah, thanks chaps... looks like we have similar tastes. I've been listening to The Oh Sees... great stuff.

walpurgis
16-05-2016, 15:22
Never heard of them before. There's a hint of maybe Hawkwind/Ozric there. I'd sooner listen to something from Simon Posford I think.