PDA

View Full Version : Vendor Vending Voluptuous Vintage Valves

Sherwood
15-05-2016, 14:09
As I mentioned in my earlier posts I have been working in the tropics for much of the last 20 years. For obvious reasons I did not take my turntable or vinyl with me, nor my hot running valve amplifiers. Unfortunately, severe recurrent malaria recently forced me back to the UK at which point I took my stuff out of long term storage (including well over 1000 vinyl albums almost all in vgc to pristine condition: thank goodness for silica gel).

In the meantime I have built up a very large cd collection and after multiple international relocations have finally got round to ripping the whole collection to lossless files (FLAC). This will make it much easier to bring my music with me when I take up my next long term post overseas. I have progressed through various digital streaming devices (Logitech Squeeze, WD Media Player etc) to my current front en. This is a Cambridge CXN streamer which I am very pleased with, not least because of the convenience of controlling it via an excellent Cambridge app. The CXN has an excellent digital pre-amp facility so that I can play it directly into my high current Odyssey Khartago power amp. This drives a pair of Magnaplaner 1.7 speakers which are an improvement on my 1979 Rogers LS3/3a speakers. I am keeping my Linn LP12 and my Art Audio Quintet Valve power amp, which I am using in a second vinyl only system. However, I have two items which I am reluctantly selling. Even after these sales I will still have enough equipment for 4 complete hifi systems. That is just too much!

The first item is an integrated valve amplifier from Antique Sound Labs, the MG-PIQ5. This device uses 4 EL84/6BQ5 valves, 2 12AT7s and 1 12AU7. I bought it in new Singapore where I was staying after a long term project in Bangladesh, but it went into storage after a short period of use when I started my next long term project in Northern Vietnam close to the China border. Unfortunately, when I took it out of storage i could not find the original valves, so I have recently bought a new set of matched quads. It is extremely well built and in excellent condition. Out of curiousity I tried it with my notoriously power hungry Magnaplanars and it sounded excellent. I am hoping to get around 400 quid for it. Anyone who has heard a well designed EL84 based amp will appreciate the qualities of this item.

The second item is a Croft Super Micro valve preamp (s/n 155). This is a superb preamp with an exceptional phono section. It has been in storage since 1998 and is in very good condition. You will see in the photo that it is no longer the original cream and brown colour when I bought it. I had the cream case professionally resprayed in black by a local car body workshop. I was hoping to get around 300 quid for this item. I would prefer the buyer to collect the item (Mansfield) and I am happy to demo either item.

Sherwood
29-06-2016, 14:56
Bump

Been away for a while but back now. Both items still for sale.