PDA

View Full Version : Asking all Caiman Users

spud36
15-11-2009, 17:03
Hello

Just got myself one of these. Can anybody tell me why it makes what I can only describe as a cheeping noise. Normally when changing tracks but sometime if Windows does something. It isn't through the speakers but directly from the unit.

Cheers

StanleyB
15-11-2009, 17:07
That's the line output reed switch engaging when it detects a valid audio signal, and disengaging if there is no valid audio signal present that can be decoded.

spud36
15-11-2009, 17:18
Cheers for that.

By the way what a fantastic sounding unit. It replaces a very old Roksan dac. Initially when I hooked it up I thought is there any difference? Left some music playing on repeat and went for a night out.

Following day had a listen and blimey! Chuffed to bits with it. Everything sound bigger, clearer and good bass.

Great purchase.

Alex_UK
15-11-2009, 20:16
Cheers for that.

By the way what a fantastic sounding unit. It replaces a very old Roksan dac. Initially when I hooked it up I thought is there any difference? Left some music playing on repeat and went for a night out.

Following day had a listen and blimey! Chuffed to bits with it. Everything sound bigger, clearer and good bass.

Great purchase.

Hi Spud - leave it for another ten nights out, and then wait for your socks to be blown off - the Caiman will only get better the longer you run it in (200 hours according to Stan.) I've never noticed the "cheeping" - will have to try and listen.

Welcome to AoS, by the way.

spud36
16-11-2009, 13:53
Cheers for that

After a further ten nights out I will be lucky if I can remember my own name never mind distinguishing the sonic improvements :cool: Worth a go mind you :)

glenann
17-11-2009, 12:16
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but what power amps work well with these? I'm thinking of building som IPL transmission line speakers.... Any thoughts?

Cheers

Stratmangler
17-11-2009, 12:28
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but what power amps work well with these? I'm thinking of building som IPL transmission line speakers.... Any thoughts?

Cheers

Anything that you like the sound of. Just needs to be capable of driving the IPL's properly.

I'm currently running my TC-7510 as pre to the power stage of my NAD 320 BEE, and things sound mighty good.

Chris:)

glenann
17-11-2009, 14:04
Anything that you like the sound of. Just needs to be capable of driving the IPL's properly.

Chris:)

I suppose this is my othr question. What drives the IPL's well? I'll give Ivan a ring and see what he says, unless anyone has any of these?

Cheers for the feedback

leo
17-11-2009, 17:47
I have a pair of the IPL S3tlm ribbons, great speakers for the money
They are not really hard to drive, I've tried a range of stuff from valves, diy Gainclones, various classA SS, Avondale NCC200 mono's, Hypex UCD and a couple of low powered Tripath based amps.
We moved into a house with a smaller room so I got a pair of Usher BE718's which is better suited although I still sometimes use the IPL's when I fancy a change

leo
17-11-2009, 17:49
BTW Caiman works great used as a linestage for the power amps, its had no problems with anything I've tried it with so far

glenann
18-11-2009, 13:06
Thank you for that, I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers