PDA

View Full Version : CDP Shenanigans

Macca
15-11-2009, 12:45
Hi

Bored yesterday so I finally got round to tidying up my system. Once I'd done that I decided I would swap in my Sony XB930E cdp to see what it sounded like through the Croft pre. (I normally use a Cambridge 840c).

I've tried the Sony through my main system a couple of times before and it really does not like it - no treble, no upper bass and weird, distorted, detached low bass. It sounds fine through my Sony AV amp into JBL pro 1s though, so I know it is not faulty

Anyway I plugged it into the Croft and switched on expecting to hear the usual mish-mash - but no! It sounds excellent - so good in fact that I am wondering if I do not prefer it to the 840c...

In addition the gain issue with the Croft ( I think it was Greg on another thread complaining he could not get the volume off '1' with CD) is curtailed - I can now get volume past 3 o'clock without getting too loud.

Also, I'd forgotton what a pleasure the Sony is to use - how smoothly the transport glides out! The superbly precise soft-touch buttons! The Cambridge is like a chunk of agricultural machinery by comparison.

I had noticed that the Cambridge pushed out vocals a little too much (regardless of the production) so that with some material it was very much a case of listening to a singer with backing rather than a whole, intergrated performance - with the Sony the vocals are further back and 'quieter' - this may be why I am thinking I may prefer the Sony. I will have to do some more listening with the Sony then swap back to the Cambridge and listen again before I'm convinced I think.

Comments, anyone?

Themis
15-11-2009, 12:59
I'm not amazed of your results. I never had a 840C (I owe a 640C and never upgraded) but several people I know owed it and they have all moved away. The Cambridge seems a "special" piece of electronics, not suited for people really into "high-fidelity" (sorry for this, no means of judging you or anyone else). As if the 840C just messes "too much" the original signal.
Now, usually the Sony sounds very good on filter setting 1. But I guess you should try all the settings to see which suits your tastes best. ;)

Macca
15-11-2009, 13:06
Hi Dimitri

I forgot about the filters! - just checked and I have it set to '1' (the options are 'STD', 1, 2 and 3 - I have the manual somewhere but as I have posted before the house is a dump at the moment! Too much time spent listening to music - especially since I got the Croft..

Actually it's not possible to spend 'too much' time listening to music, is it?

Themis
15-11-2009, 13:22
Actually it's not possible to spend 'too much' time listening to music, is it?
No, I don't think so : it's such a pleasure to have the correct elements to listen to the music one likes that I would rather say "we don't have enough time" than anything else... ;)