PDA

View Full Version : Joe temperley.... Rip

take5
12-05-2016, 18:59
Very sad to say that Baritone sax player Joe Temperley died yesterday.

Born in Fife , Scotland, he made his name in london in the 50s and 60s, primarily in Humphrey Lyttletons band.

After visiting New York with Humphs band, he fell in love with the jazz scene and moved there in the mid 60s. When Harry Carney died, Joe replaced him in the Ellington Band. He also played with just about everyone around.

From 1989 until just a few years ago, he held the Baritone seat in the Lincoln Jazz centre band, run by Wynton Marsalis. At last he was getting the recognition he merited. Marsalis loved his playing, and he played with that band until he was in his mid 80s.

I took about 4/5 lessons with him, many years ago. He was great. He took no prisoners and you were left in no doubt about what needed to be done. Tone was his big thing.
He helped me greatly, and I will always remember/treasure those lessons.

He had a fantastic sound on Baritone. Huge, it just seemed to fill any room. Very personal to him and hugely influential on Bari players worldwide.
I have some sax playing friends in New York and they tell me when he did small band gigs there, every gig was filled with Baritone sax players , hoping to soak up his sound.
Many bari players sound like a buzz saw. Not Joe. Just pure sound.

I think he was with Marsalis/JLCO for 27 years. they loved him. a few years ago they did a lovely thing and paid tribute to him by way of a concert. You can see the young guy on Baritone who replaced Joe. One of Joes students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unQkpk5DFTc

The concert was almost 2 hours long and is in 2 halfs. this is the 2nd half.

Ive linked this for 2 reasons.

1) tribute by Marsalis after 1 minute. Loads of love
2) At 41 minutes, Joe plays Bass Clarinet with piano. Ellingtons "Single petal of a Rose".
this is all that Joe was about. just Lovely
Then very briefly he plays solo Baritone as an encore. An old Scottish Ballad.

Im very sad to hear this news. Joe was a lovely human being and wonderful sax player, and very much part of what my life has become.

Bye, Big Joe