PDA

View Full Version : Good morning from sunny South Wales

moffer
12-05-2016, 10:16
It ain't gonna last though, as usual, rain coming in this afternoon.

Been lurking here for many moons so thought it about time I took the plunge. Bought my first separates system about 25 years ago and am still using the same turntable, albeit with one or two mods. I listen to mostly to rock'n pop, mainly vinyl. Anyway, here's my my pretty basic gear, which, like me, is getting rather long in the tooth but sounds surprisingly good, especially vinyl playback.

Rotel RP-855/RB300/DL110/DIY sandbox support, Marantz 6000 OSELE CDP, Rothwell Simplex phono stage, Kenwood 3020SE amp, Castle Richmond 3i speakers on DIY fully welded (very heavy) stands.

struth
12-05-2016, 10:21
Welcome to AoS Anthony.. I'm sure it will sound good.. The denon is a good cart and i used to own one. Castle speakers were always good too...

walpurgis
12-05-2016, 10:30
Welcome to AOS Anthony.

Nothing wrong with the equipment you use. I used to have one of those Kenwood amps.

Do you have anything planned for your system?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

jollyfix
12-05-2016, 10:50
Welcome to AOS Anthony, enjoy the forum. Where in South Wales are you?

moffer
12-05-2016, 11:43
Welcome to AoS Anthony.. I'm sure it will sound good.. The denon is a good cart and i used to own one. Castle speakers were always good too...

Thanks for the welcome, Grant. I really like the Richmond 3i's. Haven't heard any other Castles, or many other speakers come to that, at lest not in my own set-up. Apparently they are not as warm sounding as most other Castles.

moffer
12-05-2016, 11:55
Welcome to AOS Anthony.

Nothing wrong with the equipment you use. I used to have one of those Kenwood amps.

Do you have anything planned for your system?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I bought the Kenwood 3020SE about a year ago, it replaced another conked out 3020SE, which in turn replaced yet another conked out 3020SE. All three cost around £50 a pop. :)

I've just bought the Rothwell Simplex phono so nothing planned short term, though I'm thinking about upgrading the DL110, but with limited funds I'm not sure it's possible. It will have to be a christmas present if I do get something new.

moffer
12-05-2016, 12:00
Thanks for the welcome, Dave. I live in the land of cheese and castles - Caerphilly. Though I'm a few miles outside of town in deepest darkest sheep country.

Must sign off now, got an appointment with a podiatrist at 2pm.

edit...meant to reply with your quote.

jollyfix
12-05-2016, 12:23
Caerphilly, know the place well, and the surrounding areas.

walpurgis
12-05-2016, 13:59
Thanks Geoff, I bought the Kenwood 3020SE about a year ago, it replaced another conked out 3020SE, which in turn replaced yet another conked out 3020SE. All three cost around £50 a pop. :)

If you like the Kenwood. Try a Denon PMA-350SE at around the same sort of money. They are noticeably better and don't pack up. If you are lucky, you might find one with the optional and very good phono stage.

moffer
12-05-2016, 18:27
If you like the Kenwood. Try a Denon PMA-350SE at around the same sort of money. They are noticeably better and don't pack up. If you are lucky, you might find one with the optional and very good phono stage.

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind when this one conks out. I know the PM250 was supposed to be good, but haven't heard much about its bigger brother. It's probably about time I tried something different anyway...talk about being set in my ways. :rolleyes: The phono stage in the Denon will certainly have to go some to better the Rothwell. I haven't had chance to have a proper listen yet, but initial impressions are very good indeed. It's taken over from a Gram amp 2 (non SE) and is obviously in a different class. Was hoping to have a session today but my wife's been flat out on the settee with an horrendous bug. Pray to god I don't get it.

BTW, it's still sunny here.

Smegger68
14-05-2016, 23:43
Hi Tony, just up the road from you in Bridgend. Enjoy the froum, lots of good folk here :)

moffer
15-05-2016, 21:14
Hi Tony, just up the road from you in Bridgend. Enjoy the froum, lots of good folk here :)

Hiya James, more like just down the road from me - I'm up in the high hills..well fairly high anyway. :) Seem like a friendly bunch here so I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. :)

Barry
03-06-2016, 13:06
Welcome to AoS Tony

Enjoy the Forum
Barry