View Full Version : Advice required

Audio Al
11-05-2016, 14:30
Croft Micro basic tube upgrades ?
Hi
I have the above valve pre amp ,

It has 2 off J J ECC83S and

1 off Pinnacle ECC83 12AX7

Valves fitted any recommendation for better tubes ?

Wakefield Turntables
11-05-2016, 18:05
Mullard work very well and were my valve of choice when I ran the Basic before I switch to the Epoch.

worrasf
11-05-2016, 18:14
any recommendation for better tubes ?

Depends on your definition of "better"

I have a Croft 25RS which has similar valves in line and phono stage to yours. After much tube rolling I settled on NOS Siemens and Halske's throughout until I came across a set of NOS Amperex Bugle Boy SQ's which are now installed and staying. They give a sublime rich and detailed presentation without being too warm. Personally, I found the Mullards a bit "rich and thick" for my tastes and Telefunkens a little bright. The S&H's hit the middle sweet spot but the BB's added a little more depth.
Clearly, other system components will have an effect - I use a Croft valve MC headamp with S&H CCA's so this will have a bearing on what happens in the pre.

As always YMMV

Steve

Jimbo
11-05-2016, 18:24
NOS Tesla ECC83 32,s - superb alround detailed tube.

If you want some try googling Mullardman, he has them on eBay.

Sold some of these to Blackadder and I think they went down very well!

danilo
14-05-2016, 16:46
NOS Tesla ECC83 32,s - superb alround detailed tube.

JJ's sound good for my uses, I have a few.
Although IMO Toshiba 2sk170's do sound 'better' ;)

Audio Al
21-05-2016, 14:18
I have looked for the Amperex Bugle Boy SQ valves , can't find any :(

BTH K10A
21-05-2016, 16:12
I've always favoured the Brimar 6057 Trustworthy when it comes to ECC83's

CornishPasty
21-05-2016, 16:28
JJs are just too dark for my liking. I don't mind Tung Sol and I have these in my preamp. Light years better than the JJs. Sovtek LPS are very nice too and I would place them in front of the Sols but I'm happy with either. I don't bother with Mullards or any of the other overpriced exotica any more.

worrasf
21-05-2016, 17:31
I have looked for the Amperex Bugle Boy SQ valves , can't find any :(

I got mine from AoS member Drew who often posts on here. He has a huge collection of NoS valves. Worth trawling through the old pages in the Private Exhibitions area.

I also have a set of Phillips Miniwatt SQ gold pin ecc83's that were NoS when I bought them - have about 100 hours -quite similar to the BB's although not quite as sweet in the midrange as well as some GE triple mica 5star ecc83's somewhere - you're welcome to try them out

Audio Al
21-05-2016, 20:09
I got mine from AoS member Drew who often posts on here. He has a huge collection of NoS valves. Worth trawling through the old pages in the Private Exhibitions area.

I also have a set of Phillips Miniwatt SQ gold pin ecc83's that were NoS when I bought them - have about 100 hours -quite similar to the BB's although not quite as sweet in the midrange as well as some GE triple mica 5star ecc83's somewhere - you're welcome to try them out

Hi Stephen

That would be good if you don't mind , PM on its way

Virtual-Symmetry
22-05-2016, 10:11
Why dont people ever mention Telefunken old stock? one of the best sounding tubes i ever used.

struth
22-05-2016, 10:28
I had a few telefunken valves. Top stuff...as are their fullrange drivers

CornishPasty
22-05-2016, 10:59
Why dont people ever mention Telefunken old stock? one of the best sounding tubes i ever used.

Because of the inflated prices perhaps.

worrasf
22-05-2016, 11:34
Nothing wrong with them at all (provided you don't fall for the fakes) - tried them and they were just a little too thin for my tastes. The S&H's IMO sounded "better"