PDA

View Full Version : Gimme Six..........Greetings from Lincolnshire

bruftonius
10-05-2016, 20:48
Hi,

I'm Frank and live really out in the sticks N of Lincoln. This is my first post ever anywhere on the interweb, so I have a bit of cyber nervousness. Everyone in my village has turned their lights and Internet off to give me more lectric so I can send this message!

I am running some old kit that I inherited from a mate, but have been very pleased with....Marantz CD, Arcam Alpha 7 and B&W 601 s2's.

For many years I have wanted to upgrade and have finally taken the plunge. I have lusted after a valve amp and have bought a second hand Graaf power amp and Mullardine speakers. Haven't managed to get them running yet as I have only just purchased a home made passive pre to try. I have ambitions to make my own passive if they work well with my kit. Ultimately I would like to construct my own valve pre; so advance apologies if I ask future stupid questions on "The Knowledge".

I like all kinds of music, but I have to apologise for having a particular love of opera and prog rock (really sorry for the latter!).

I still have some of the kit I purchased in 1979 and I am trying to get back my old Dual CS504 deck from a mate to play my growing collection of old Decca recordings that I have been collecting for a while and can't play. I now regularly frequent charity shops and find that I have something wrong with my legs as I can't pass one...I hope this addiction doesn't spread and make me a prolific box swapper.

So that's me and a big Hi to everyone.

struth
10-05-2016, 21:18
Welcome to the forum Frank. Sound like you are going to enjoy yourself trying new stuff; good luck with all of that.

walpurgis
10-05-2016, 21:59
Hello Frank. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll enjoy being here. There's plenty to get involved with. Just join in!

You've got me with Mullardine speakers. I don't know those at all.

Keep us informed about the development of your system. We're always interested.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

twickers
10-05-2016, 22:02
Nice speakers, Mulidine. IIRC they're a French manufacturer.

struth
10-05-2016, 22:27
+1 very high quality stuff mulidine.

walpurgis
10-05-2016, 22:58
+1 very high quality stuff mulidine.

French speakers can be superb. I heard a pair of JMR (Jeanne-Marie Reynaud) 'Offrande' speakers some years ago at a Hi-Fi show and they were the best sound I heard all day. Really lovely.

struth
10-05-2016, 23:12
Had some focal speakers that were fab too. Well built too. Very underrated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bruftonius
13-05-2016, 21:16
Thanks for the welcome. Finally got my system plugged in and running......oh dear, 50Hz hum I think, looks like I am going to have fun!

walpurgis
13-05-2016, 21:26
oh dear, 50Hz hum I think

Doubt it'll be anything serious.

Spectral Morn
14-05-2016, 08:21
Welcome to AoS :cool:

bruftonius
14-05-2016, 08:24
As it's my first dabble with valves I' feeling a bit lost. I'm perplexed as I have tried changing position and turning everything off around it. I have also run it for a good while with the input OC and it still hums. It is on both channels and the valves have only done a dozen or so hours, so I wouldn't have thought it could be the valves. If it was higher frequency then I would suspect the power supply as it is on both channels. With the input OC and everything but the amp off I can't see how it could be a ground loop unless it is internal in the amp. It's really annoying at 8 feet away. As I say I am very frustrated.

walpurgis
14-05-2016, 09:02
Start a thread in the Blank Canvas section Frank and describe the problem. You should get some useful replies.

bruftonius
14-05-2016, 10:17
Will do.....thanks.