PDA

View Full Version : Decca 3 pin connection

Jimbo
09-05-2016, 18:12
What is the best way to deal with a Decca cartridge 3 pin connection. Is it best to tape the spare headshell lead to one of the other ground leads or use a Decca pod 4 pin connector?

Obviously I don't want to cause ground loop feedback.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.:)

Barry
14-05-2016, 18:15
In some situations only one return lead is needed (either green or blue), in others both the green and blue lead will need to be connected to the centre pin of the cartridge. If you are using a detachable headshell, you can use one return lead and strap both the headshell pins together at the bayonet end.

There are no hard and fast rules - it's system dependant and you will have to try both configurations.

walpurgis
14-05-2016, 18:21
I don't recall ever having had to connect four wires when using a Decca and I've had quite a few. I just tuck the extra wire up and back out of the way. My early Londons only had three pins anyway.

Barry
14-05-2016, 18:34
It depends possibly on the arm used. In my experience with an SME arm, both returns had to be used (with either the Mk. V or Mk. VI).

When a Decca arm is used, it is not clear how the returns are connected: there is a single screened cable which breaks out to two RCA phono plugs and there are four contacts at the cartridge end. The same applies with the SME D2 adaptor: four contact 'pips' at the cartridge end (for Mk. II Mk. III and M. IV heads) and four contacts at the bayonet end.

Jimbo
14-05-2016, 19:32
Thanks chaps for the advice. I think I may well just tuck the spare earth in the headshell.

There is a four pin adapt or but it just earths the two earth leads together, and as you say it will be trial and error and system dependant on whether I get any hum. My TT is well grounded as is the arm so hope this is sufficient.

Smegger68
20-05-2016, 17:14
On my Jelco & Hadcock arms my Super Gold was happy with 1 earth. On the Kuzma it needed both earths but still hummed a bit until I ran a separate ground wire to the bearing housing of the Spacedeck. Now it's as quiet as a church. Deccas will do this to you I'm afraid :)