PDA

View Full Version : Technics SP10 question

farflungstar
07-05-2016, 15:29
I'm stuck between the following...

Technics SP10mk1 NOS BNIB
Technics SP10mk2 - condition unknown
Garrard 401 - Audi Grail Sable

To be honest I'd prefer the Technics because of its specs - but 30 year old electronics scare me and finding someone to fix it could be a problem. With this in mind would the NOS mk1 give not only perfect functionality but also equal sonics compared to its normally superior but geriatric younger brother?

The Garrard would be my second choice by a smidgeon - at least one in superb condition or fettled by Audio Grail.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Adey.

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

Magna Audio
07-05-2016, 16:02
I've got a MKII. Works perfectly right on the money.

Can't see it going futt any time soon. If it does some time in the future, I expect some lesser decks could well be long gone before it.

There is a chap in Cornwall I think, who can service and repair if needed.

Mines in 25kgs of slate plinth with an Ebony armboard;)

Works well on Still points.

lurcher
07-05-2016, 16:12
Worth remembering that the sp10 1 and 2 has no special parts in it, the logic board can be repopulated with modern parts (with a couple of tweeks), I know as I had to do that to mine, my own fault. So they are a better bet with regards to repairs than most other direct drives that are built around special chips that do the job of the sp10 logic board.

farflungstar
07-05-2016, 16:15
Thanks guys - I was dithering over one on the bay from Japan and it just got snatched up. grrr
Adey

farflungstar
09-05-2016, 20:00
Ok bought an SP2 mk2. Bye bye idler drive....

Magna Audio
13-05-2016, 21:35
Ok bought an SP2 mk2. Bye bye idler drive....

Nice. Let us know how you get on.

farflungstar
08-12-2016, 10:07
Ok I've been living with the SP10 for about 8 months now.

Opinion? I won't be returning to idler drive.

Here's why...

Consistent performance.

Rock solid speed and pitch.

Better defined bass.

Zero noise or vibration of any kind (measured with a stethoscope and analyser)

Sounds just a smidgeon less transparent in the upper ranges but the first points make up for this.

Sonically 99.9% up there with the best idler - but way nicer to use.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w483/farflungstar/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161025_154006_zpsz7lwjjey.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w483/farflungstar/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161025_154016_zpsuy7rj8gw.jpg

rigger67
08-12-2016, 10:31
It's beautiful .. but one thing bugs me.

Why go to so much trouble to create such a wonderful object and then leave that pesky cable out ??

It's like meeting a beautiful woman with a hairy mole on the end of her nose.
She's still gorgeous but you can't stop staring at it.

I'm sorry to be so nitpicky :(

loveoscar
08-12-2016, 10:51
Looks bloody gorgeous to me.

rigger67
08-12-2016, 11:05
Looks bloody gorgeous to me.

And me, but I just wanna snip that cable :mental:

farflungstar
08-12-2016, 13:15
Hahaha - that's the way the arm is made - and to be honest I prefer it to another connection in the chain that a din plug would mean. I would have preferred black cable but the maker knows better than me re suitable cables/malleability for the arms design. It's cardas something it other.

The whole thing weighs in at around 50kg though you can't see the depth of the plinth from the photos - bloody heavy!

The tenuto mat is from guy at puresound, and the puck is from Steve at Magna Audio. I also have a lovely matching armbase created by Steve but it raises the arm a little too high so isn't on the deck - will be sending it back to Steve for adjustments after the Christmas mayhem.

Adey