PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Hyper Interconnects versus...?

Haselsh1
06-05-2016, 03:58
We recently moved house and whilst re-assembling the sound system I connected it all up using my old Atlas Equator interconnects. For whatever reason I was not overly happy with the sound and thought it may be the new room which is huge when compared to the old one, however, I happened to change over to my much newer Atlas Hyper cables and bang...! The system sound changed massively. The treble is hugely superior and sharper, the bass is way more solid with much better slam but the stereo imaging and depth are now bloody awesome. There is clearly a full 180 degree image now with lots of sounds appearing all over the place. It is as though a Carl Zeiss lens and has just been snapped into very sharp focus. The difference between these cables is truly massive and for those who insist there is no such thing as cable 'sound', I suggest you get your ears syringed or stop listening to Hi-Fi because you clearly don't know how to listen.

The Black Adder
06-05-2016, 07:02
You might have found a better synergy with the cables in your system but to be honest I'd say your room has more to do with things, strange as it may sound.

Marco
06-05-2016, 09:32
Lol - Shaun, that post's going to go down really well amongst our resident 'objectivists' ;)

It's certainly the first time I've read that cables have made more of a difference to the sound of a system than a totally new room....! :eek: :eek: However, you hear what you hear, and I have no reason to doubt you.

So, how are you setting into the new place? It would be good to see some pics of your new listening room and the system in situ :)

Marco.

Jimbo
06-05-2016, 09:46
A rooms acoustic properties will have a vastly bigger effect than a new cable.

Marco
06-05-2016, 09:47
Yes, one would have thought so...

Marco.

Haselsh1
06-05-2016, 14:02
Ah but both old and new cables were used in the same room so the difference is almost certainly the cables.

Haselsh1
06-05-2016, 14:03
However, as the new room is twenty odd feet long, the bass extension is almost certainly the room effect.

danilo
26-05-2016, 02:22
Had a Strikingly similar effect from an Interconnect swap recently. Amazing difference actually.
Confused by the magnitude of it.. I experimented a wee bit.
Turns out using a bit of Deoxit on the 'old' interconnects made them the exact equal of the improved ones.
Just saying :-)

Haselsh1
29-05-2016, 16:02
Ah well, there you go you see, I clean all of my gold contacts with 'Duraglit' every three months so I guess that counts that one out. The result...? It still has to be the cables. Those who can't hear the difference maybe need to clean their ears. Just saying :eyebrows:

By the way, I know it is pointless to clean gold contacts because gold is a noble metal and therefore doesn't oxidise. I clean them anyway.

Virtual-Symmetry
29-05-2016, 16:31
Just gives you peace on mind eh Shaun? :eyebrows:

Marco
29-05-2016, 16:37
By the way, I know it is pointless to clean gold contacts because gold is a noble metal and therefore doesn't oxidise. I clean them anyway.

They won't oxidise, but they'll still get dirty after a while, as everything else does, so will benefit from cleaning. Try spraying some Deoxit onto a cotton wool bud, and rubbing it over gold-plated sockets, and watch what can come off (all of which is affecting signal integrity), and hence sound quality... ;)

Marco.

Haselsh1
29-05-2016, 22:01
They won't oxidise, but they'll still get dirty after a while, as everything else does, so will benefit from cleaning. Try spraying some Deoxit onto a cotton wool bud, and rubbing it over gold-plated sockets, and watch what can come off (all of which is affecting signal integrity), and hence sound quality... ;)

Marco.

If a metal contact is in close proximity to another metal contact it cannot get dirty through airborne muck it can only oxidise. As we know, gold cannot oxidise so it cannot or probably won't just get mucky. I still clean mine on a regular basis just in case. Very OCD I know but then who isn't who is in to Hi-Fi...?

Marco
30-05-2016, 00:51
If a metal contact is in close proximity to another metal contact it cannot get dirty through airborne muck it can only oxidise.

That's where you're wrong, Shaun, and the cotton wool bud test I mentioned would prove it. I'd bet you any money if I came round to your place and ran a Deoxit-dipped cotton wool bud over the gold-plated contacts on your equipment, the surface of the bud almost certainly wouldn't remain white afterwards ;) That's certainly what happens here.

If your fingers should happen to touch the sockets on your equipment, pulling cables in and out, then that will contaminate them, as will the phono plugs on cables going into them, if they too have been subjected to dirt or contamination in any way, as that will transfer itself onto the surface of the gold-plated sockets on your equipment.

Honestly, things don't just stay clean forever...

Marco.

Haselsh1
30-05-2016, 14:13
Honestly, things don't just stay clean forever...

Marco.

Ah, but Gold does ;)

Marco
30-05-2016, 18:13
Lol - only in your world :eyebrows:

Try the cotton wool bud test!

Marco.

realysm42
01-06-2016, 10:06
Everything matters. Apart from colour, maybe.

Marco
01-06-2016, 13:23
Purple cables have been statistically proven to sound more purply than other cables.

Marco.

RobbieGong
01-06-2016, 17:26
Purple cables have been statistically proven to sound more purply than other cables.

Marco.

Black ones sound a bit dark, White ones sound quite bland and Grey ones sound... well, a bit grey :D

Barry
01-06-2016, 17:30
Black ones sound a bit dark, White ones sound quite bland and Grey ones sound... well, a bit grey :D

So one obviously needs a cable with a transparent overall sheath, or one with no outer insulation at all.

RobbieGong
01-06-2016, 17:35
So one obviously needs a cable with a transparent overall sheath, or one with no outer insulation at all.

That'd be open, transparent with emphasis on insight :)

realysm42
02-06-2016, 05:17
I had a cable, once.