PDA

View Full Version : You Really have to Laugh

Boyse6748
02-05-2016, 14:42
Hi all,

In persuit of Hi-Fi Nervana . I can confirm that age is a real obstacle.

Just purchased "Audiophile Hi-Res System Test", from HD Tracks.

To say the least, (for you older guys) + 69..... Just don't bother !!!

System is: Vinyl by preference but CD and HD download's. Played on:-

Townsend Rock 7 / SME V / Benz Wood / Whest Two / Quad 909 / 99 Preamp (Bi Amped) / Spendor A5s speakers / Townsend Super Tweeters + when the mood takes, Sonos Play Bar / Sub / Play 5s / Play 3s / Play 1s through a Sonos Connect.

The end result from this aged person is, just don't bother to go down this route....... Because... You just can't hear it .!
Hearing Limits 48Hz to 10000Hz (Max Range).

Disappointing to say the least !!!!!! But I suppose old age comes to us all in the end. Perhaps, the money would have been better spent on Holidays in the sun.

Hay Ho...........Just wish I was younger.

Even so...... It still a great sound, for you Hi-Fi buffs.

Happy Days.

Peter

walpurgis
02-05-2016, 15:05
That's not the whole story though.

You may not perceive higher frequencies, but you will certainly notice if they are not present.

Try rigging a tweeter with a 0.2 uF capacitor in series to each of your speakers as supertweeters. You are unlikely to hear anything from them, but switch them off and you'll detect a difference.

Oh. And a warm welcome too Peter.

RobbieGong
02-05-2016, 15:09
Hi Peter, Fun (i hope) intro there :), welcome to the house of hifi query, interest and indulgence !
Dont worry about age, we've all ages here, from spring chicken to ole fogey status so partake thereof ;)

Btw - what are your musical tastes ?
Heard a lot about Spendors, whats your own view / experience ?

Spectral Morn
02-05-2016, 17:48
Welcome to AoS Peter :cool:

Barry
02-05-2016, 18:16
It's true, you might not directly perceive frequencies above say 10KHz, but if they are absent from the harmonic structure of a musical note, you will be aware of it.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?11634-Can’t-hear-those-high-frequencies-–-Don’t-Panic

Welcome to AoS by the way Peter,

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Gazjam
02-05-2016, 18:59
Welcome aboard the madhouse Peter...

Great system you have there mate, love the Rock 7, was on my audition list before I got the Gyro.
Be happy with either!
And thats coming from my 40 something year old ears :)
The SME V still is....is written in the bible if you have a Michell a SME V "must be done".

Moral of the story...

1: Dont buy hifi test discs...
2: Just ennoy the music! (Its all subjective anyway at the end of the day)

Get stuck in, some very knowledgeable guys on here.

struth
02-05-2016, 19:31
Hi all,

In persuit of Hi-Fi Nervana . I can confirm that age is a real obstacle.

Just purchased "Audiophile Hi-Res System Test", from HD Tracks.

To say the least, (for you older guys) + 69..... Just don't bother !!!

System is: Vinyl by preference but CD and HD download's. Played on:-

Townsend Rock 7 / SME V / Benz Wood / Whest Two / Quad 909 / 99 Preamp (Bi Amped) / Spendor A5s speakers / Townsend Super Tweeters + when the mood takes, Sonos Play Bar / Sub / Play 5s / Play 3s / Play 1s through a Sonos Connect.

The end result from this aged person is, just don't bother to go down this route....... Because... You just can't hear it .!
Hearing Limits 48Hz to 10000Hz (Max Range).

Disappointing to say the least !!!!!! But I suppose old age comes to us all in the end. Perhaps, the money would have been better spent on Holidays in the sun.

Hay Ho...........Just wish I was younger.

Even so...... It still a great sound, for you Hi-Fi buffs.

Happy Days.

Peter

Welcome to the site Peter. I hope you enjoy yourself, and not worry too much re your hearing. I tested myself with a test tone some time ago and managed the bottom end ok but stopped at 11.5k or thereabouts. It doesnt matter, as there is not much going on above that anyways lol...thats my excuse anyways ;)

Boyse6748
02-05-2016, 22:56
Thanks to all your replies. It appears than I'm not alone out there (thank god). Just listening to "Classics that inspired the Rolling Stones"' ...... It sure brings back memories from them far away days. Not Hi-Fi, but great music..... Regardless of the frequency response!!!!!!!....

It's sure funny what rocks yor boat....������������

Boyse6748
02-05-2016, 23:09
Hi Robie,

Spendors are just the bees knees as thy say, can't really think of anything better at ten times the price (well maybe Tannoy's) but can't afford them..... Well at least not the good stuff.. Very nutural, and good bass.... Apart from being extremely well built and bi-wirerable to boot... They appear to be very suspectible to bi-ampimg as well and are a joy to listen to, every time they are powered up.��������

Boyse6748
02-05-2016, 23:51
Thanks Grant,

Test tracks really don't do it for me either, but you just have got to try this stuff. (£20 waste of money). I got this because I was really confused with Vertical & horizontal bi-a amping. (or, at least what was best). NOW I KNOW that Horizontal is by far the way to go.

Thanks for your response

Peter ( nice kit by the way)

Audio Al
03-05-2016, 06:04
Hi and welcome 2 AOS

The HIFI Forum

Enjoy your time here , The more YOU put in the more you get out