PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: ZYX R50 Bloom Cartridge

mikeyb
02-05-2016, 07:31
As per title I would like to try a Zyx R50 Bloom MC cartridge.

Anyone looking to sell?

Thanks,

Mike.

walpurgis
02-05-2016, 08:45
I'd be interested to know how you get on with one Mike.

mikeyb
02-05-2016, 08:58
I'd be interested to know how you get on with one Mike.
Think I've only ever seen one for sale secondhand so I'm not holding my breath.

Keep you posted ;)

walpurgis
02-05-2016, 09:09
There's a ZYX Fuji going cheap (so far) in the US: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zyx-R100-Fuji-MC-Cartridge-/301942176070?hash=item464d27f946:g:hk4AAOSw1DtXIT3 8 Ends soon!

They're three times the price of the R50 Bloom new. Just as arm compatible too.

mikeyb
02-05-2016, 09:12
There's a ZYX Fuji going cheap (so far) in the US: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zyx-R100-Fuji-MC-Cartridge-/301942176070?hash=item464d27f946:g:hk4AAOSw1DtXIT3 8 Ends soon!

They're three times the price of the R50 Bloom new. Just as arm compatible too.
Looks good, but what the heck is the additional postage costs of nearly £300?

Or is it just my eBay app playing funny buggers?

flapland
02-05-2016, 09:17
Postage is showing just under £38 for me.

I had a R50 and regret letting it go. 2Juki( I think thats the sellers name) on eBay gets them in and also sells the previous range R30 for just over £300.

walpurgis
02-05-2016, 09:20
I just see carriage at £37.96 (which is still bloody steep for just a cartridge). Plus the inevitable duty.

mikeyb
02-05-2016, 09:21
This is what it shows me lol.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160502/5448352aaacf8a2e394f02f7b767b685.jpg

walpurgis
02-05-2016, 09:24
Weird. Can't be right.

mikeyb
02-05-2016, 09:28
Weird. Can't be right.
Definitely not, must be a glitch with the mobile page. If I request desktop site it shows it correctly at £38.

struth
02-05-2016, 10:19
Import charges are about right...its what im getting too

mikeyb
04-05-2016, 16:13
Getting desperate now. Think the cantilever has gone in my Zu Denon :-(

So anything considered as an alternative in the short term.

struth
04-05-2016, 16:47
Whats your budget?

mikeyb
04-05-2016, 21:15
Whats your budget?
Really just depends on the cartridge to be honest, I could go to £500 as that is what an R50 retails at, was just hoping to find something second hand for a good bit less.

My Zu is fine, panic over lol. So not as desperate as I thought, but still fancy an R50 though, as I'd like to have as least one spare cart in my setup.

Chivas
06-05-2016, 04:20
Walpurgis has got an R100 H2 he's willing to let go within your budget?
Wanted: Low Compliance Moving Coil Cartridge? SPU Royal N? Koetsu?
ZYX R100 H2?

60 hours (approx) use from bought new by me. Use was logged up to 40 hours.......the 'run in' period. Boxed, superb condition, and sounding very fine indeed. Compliance quoted as 15cu. Not getting the use it should and deserves, 'cos I have a dozen carts including three other ZYXs and keep chopping and changing. £480 PayPal delivered, if it's of interest.

(I should point out that it comes in an R100 box, not specifically marked H2, as that is how it came, but it is an H2 with the boron cantilever)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=754260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyb
06-05-2016, 06:02
Walpurgis has got an R100 H2 he's willing to let go within your budget?
Wanted: Low Compliance Moving Coil Cartridge? SPU Royal N? Koetsu?
ZYX R100 H2?

60 hours (approx) use from bought new by me. Use was logged up to 40 hours.......the 'run in' period. Boxed, superb condition, and sounding very fine indeed. Compliance quoted as 15cu. Not getting the use it should and deserves, 'cos I have a dozen carts including three other ZYXs and keep chopping and changing. £480 PayPal delivered, if it's of interest.

(I should point out that it comes in an R100 box, not specifically marked H2, as that is how it came, but it is an H2 with the boron cantilever)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=754260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I've been discussing that cart via pm, still undecided.

mikeyb
06-05-2016, 16:12
Well I definitely need a cart now as I've just bent the cantilever on my ZU Denon grrrrrr k;jasf;u ahf;ouhOIU';OUJ'ljNSADVBG !!!!!¬:steam::doh::steam::steam::steam:

Any MC carts out there someone wants rid of ?

struth
06-05-2016, 18:07
Your not having much luck with MC carts Mike... I only have 1 mc, and although not currently using it, I'm loathed to sell it as they are getting rarish now, especially in this condition and with a FL tip. Got a shibata tipped AT95 mm which cost a fair bit too i'm not using.

mikeyb
06-05-2016, 18:17
Your not having much luck with MC carts Mike... I only have 1 mc, and although not currently using it, I'm loathed to sell it as they are getting rarish now, especially in this condition and with a FL tip. Got a shibata tipped AT95 mm which cost a fair bit too i'm not using.
My own fault I was dismantling my TT for the 4th time in a week to send back my ebony armboard for adjustment when the arm slipped out of my fingers and it landed stylus first of course, right on the edge of the TT which caused the bend in the cantilever.

Shame really after thinking it was goosed the other day, then finding out it was okay and then today I buggered it.

I'll be without the armboard and plate for a few days so have time to find something before middle of the week when they will hopefully return, I must admit that I'm very close to saying to hell with vinyl and get rid of the lot.

Not had much luck with TT's so far having HAD to sell my Gyrodec at a good loss, then this Techie is starting to cost a good bit, thinking now that I should just have just bought a CD player :(

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Ali Tait
06-05-2016, 18:18
Well I definitely need a cart now as I've just bent the cantilever on my ZU Denon grrrrrr k;jasf;u ahf;ouhOIU';OUJ'ljNSADVBG !!!!!¬:steam::doh::steam::steam::steam:

Any MC carts out there someone wants rid of ?

That's a downer Mike, got an AT91E you could borrow in the meantime if you like.

struth
06-05-2016, 18:22
My own fault I was dismantling my TT for the 4th time in a week to send back my ebony armboard for adjustment when the arm slipped out of my fingers and it landed stylus first of course, right on the edge of the TT which caused the bend in the cantilever.

Shame really after thinking it was goosed the other day, then finding out it was okay and then today I buggered it.

I'll be without the armboard and plate for a few days so have time to find something before middle of the week when they will hopefully return, I must admit that I'm very close to saying to hell with vinyl and get rid of the lot.

Not had much luck with TT's so far having HAD to sell my Gyrodec at a good loss, then this Techie is starting to cost a good bit, thinking now that I should just have just bought a CD player :(

Welcome to try my ortofon if you want to pick it up.

walpurgis
06-05-2016, 18:35
Welcome to try my ortofon if you want to pick it up.

It's every bit as good as the R50 Bloom. I know. I had both at the same time!

walpurgis
06-05-2016, 18:39
Have you considered the Goldring Eroica LX. Many people forget about that one, it's a cracker! Very musical. (yes, I've got one of those too :))

struth
06-05-2016, 18:53
It's every bit as good as the R50 Bloom. I know. I had both at the same time!

Tis a stonker of a cart Geoff.... Its not getting much use at moment what with the Shure being bolted in and sounding so good.

mikeyb
06-05-2016, 20:38
That's a downer Mike, got an AT91E you could borrow in the meantime if you like.
That armboard and the tonearm plate are away back to Steve for trimming so not a great rush as they won't be back until next week, but thanks for the offer though.

mikeyb
06-05-2016, 20:41
Thanks for the offer Grant, I'll see what's available to buy over the next few days. Geoff's R100 is still tempting me mind you.

Not sure if I really want to spend £500 on a cartridge now that I've killed one ;)

I might email Zu and see if it can be repaired.

struth
06-05-2016, 21:12
no probs Mike. PM me if you want it. sure something can be sorted.

mikeyb
08-05-2016, 10:53
no probs Mike. PM me if you want it. sure something can be sorted.
Thanks for the offer, but I've only gone and bought one [emoji48]

I emailed Zu about repairing my Zu cartridge and they replied in under 10 mins and said they could check it out no problem, Zu are USA based so would take a while, but he did say if non repairable they'd credit me $200 towards a replacement, which can't be bad.

I'll try this Orto out when it arrives and then post off the Zu. It's not much of a bend so it might be an easy straighten as it's only a slight upward curve, ooer missus.

walpurgis
08-05-2016, 11:21
I'll try this Orto out when it arrives

I reckon the Zu won't get a look in once you try the Ortofon Mike ;). (trust me..........as the car dealer said :))

I'll be awaiting your report on this one.

struth
08-05-2016, 11:32
Thanks for the offer, but I've only gone and bought one [emoji48]

I emailed Zu about repairing my Zu cartridge and they replied in under 10 mins and said they could check it out no problem, Zu are USA based so would take a while, but he did say if non repairable they'd credit me $200 towards a replacement, which can't be bad.

I'll try this Orto out when it arrives and then post off the Zu. It's not much of a bend so it might be an easy straighten as it's only a slight upward curve, ooer missus.

What one did you buy? A 25fl?

walpurgis
08-05-2016, 11:38

Oh dear. I jumped the gun a bit. I'd assumed it was your 25FL that mike was going to try Grant. Never mind! :eyebrows:

struth
08-05-2016, 11:45
Lol ..no. He may have found another of course. Wont be any cleaner than mine though .... Ive still got it on a carbon fibre headshell and its very good
Just with my musical tastes edging towards vocals and easy listening jazz etc, i find that the shure suits it better. Faster music i guess the orto is streets in front

mikeyb
08-05-2016, 11:51
[emoji12]

struth
08-05-2016, 12:57
Been a few went cheap on bay recently... One was damaged and one other i checked claimed it was great but he recieved no return feedback so may not have been lol. None sold very recently though...must have got it on a forum :D. If you got it under 200 and its nice nick then its a bargain Mike... It should sound very nice indeed....it likes accurate azimuth ...found sweet vtf of 1.95gm

If it has a guard be careful as there is not a lot of clearance between it and tip.

mikeyb
08-05-2016, 13:52
Been a few went cheap on bay recently... One was damaged and one other i checked claimed it was great but he recieved no return feedback so may not have been lol. None sold very recently though...must have got it on a forum :D. If you got it under 200 and its nice nick then its a bargain Mike... It should sound very nice indeed....it likes accurate azimuth ...found sweet vtf of 1.95gm

If it has a guard be careful as there is not a lot of clearance between it and tip.

a couple of piccies, hopefully the slight angle on the cantilever won't affect it too much or has worn it to much on one side :eyebrows:

https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-mfbvBCc/0/O/MC25FL%20stylus.jpg

https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-pjxhXjc/0/O/MC25FL.jpg

struth
08-05-2016, 14:47
I see that... Might sound ok ...dunno if it will do any extra wearing to a record or not... Worth a try if it was cheapish.

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 13:17
Well I've just received the mc25fl and I'm none too pleased.

Here is the sellers photo, followed by mine that I took as soon as I opened the package about 10 minutes ago.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160510/1f092b3451c44a1df42bccb0c7d486af.jpg

Now my photo of what has just arrived

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160510/06c04dfc7afcdf44a3f0510f6f3fe5fc.jpg

Think it will be back for a refund!!

struth
10-05-2016, 13:21
Yes its a mile out... Reckon he must have staged that picture as its way worse

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 13:21
An I being too suspicious in that it's a different cartridge because looking at the angle of his photo the screws at the side look aligned, but if you but the cartridge straight on like his photo the bend is far more pronounced.

?

walpurgis
10-05-2016, 13:24
That wouldn't be going near my records. It has a deep and narrow line contact with the record groove. Misalignment will likely cause damage. Shame, it's a great sounding MC.

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 13:25
On closer inspection the gold part where the cantilever joins the cartridge is like new and on his photo it looks all greenish and the gold on mine is spotless it doesn't even have the black mark on the left?

On his there is load of dirt in the gap beneath the stylus as you look top down, again mine looks spotless, I think he's bought this one realised it was crap and then sold it on but used other photos to describe it.

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 13:35
I'm very slowly losing the desire to keep my record playing setup :(

struth
10-05-2016, 13:43
Paypal will refund you if he does!t so no worries Mike. Might take a couple of weeks though..if he plays ball then you should get paid quick..depends on how much he likes his reputation....
Best buying carts of price like mcs on a furum where you get it ok.... Not to say many ebayers are honest as most are but you just rarely know truth till it arrives... Dont weaken...get cash back and open proceedings re a claim.. He has played you wrong so follow ebay and paypal rules... Think best is to send message re the not as described or faulty bit...he wont like it but this way ppal and ebay will tell him to take it back and pay or they will pay you and take it out of his account.

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 13:48
Paypal will refund you if he does!t so no worries Mike. Might take a couple of weeks though..if he plays ball then you should get paid quick..depends on how much he likes his reputation....
Best buying carts of price like mcs on a furum where you get it ok.... Not to say many ebayers are honest as most are but you just rarely know truth till it arrives... Dont weaken...get cash back and open proceedings re a claim.. He has played you wrong so follow ebay and paypal rules... Think best is to send message re the not as described or faulty bit...he wont like it but this way ppal and ebay will tell him to take it back and pay or they will pay you and take it out of his account.
I've dropped him a message asking for full refund and I'll post back. It's a pity I didn't open it right away as he'll no doubt say I've bent it, but that would be bloody difficult as my TT is in bits with no arm lol

If he doesn't play ball then it's the PayPal route, already have the eBay message complete with photos ready to send ;)

Like I say this one looks far cleaner than the one in the auction so I think he's sold me a different one, either that or he meticulously cleaned the verdigris and crud off before posting

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 21:35
A refund has been agreed, so fingers crossed he doesn't play funny buggers.

Sooooo..... I still need a cartridge so is there anything out there for sale ?

struth
10-05-2016, 21:43
you can try mine if you can pick it up. if you like it I could sell it for what I paid. Think it was about £185 or so, but Geoff may remember better... i'm getting forgetful....

...who are you anyways ????:D

Bluebeat13
10-05-2016, 21:44
...and bent it in the process...

struth
10-05-2016, 21:48
...and bent it in the process...

????:scratch:

mikeyb
10-05-2016, 21:49
you can try mine if you can pick it up. if you like it I could sell it for what I paid. Think it was about £185 or so, but Geoff may remember better... i'm getting forgetful....

...who are you anyways ????:D

I'm the chap you still owe £50 to, it must have slipped your mind........

Only kidding lol, that might be a plan Grant, I'll give you a shout tomorrow when I get time if that's ok.

struth
10-05-2016, 21:58
I'm the chap you still owe £50 to, it must have slipped your mind........

Only kidding lol, that might be a plan Grant, I'll give you a shout tomorrow when I get time if that's ok.

lol! no bother Mike. Be around most of day I think.

walpurgis
10-05-2016, 22:03
you can try mine if you can pick it up. if you like it I could sell it for what I paid. Think it was about £185 or so, but Geoff may remember better...

One digit out Grant. It was £1850.00! :lolsign:

Just kidding. It was right first time. That's a bargain. Nothing at that price will come close.

struth
10-05-2016, 22:06
One digit out Grant. It was £1850.00! :lolsign:

Just kidding. It was right first time. That's a bargain. Nothing at that price will come close.

ah yes... thought i was selling too cheap ;) anyone else and I would add a premium tbh... as Geoff says its hard to beat a good one of these without spending silly money. A lot of the ones you see are well used, shall we say ;)

walpurgis
10-05-2016, 22:13
its hard to beat a good one of these without spending silly money.

It's better than my very nice Goldring Eroica LX (just) and on a par with my ZYX R50 Bloom for musicality and that's some praise! Before I bought the MC25FL, I'd heard that they were a bit good, but I was amazed when it arrived and I gave it a listen. (dunno why I flogged it really)

mikeyb
11-05-2016, 06:12
Pair o buggers, here's me thinking the Two Ronnie's were deed lol.

The Orto sounds very promising. I'll speak to the bank manager and see if can raise the extra 0 ;)

mikeyb
14-05-2016, 20:16
Be warned that the ortofon mc25fl I returned to eBay seller due to bad cantilever has appeared for sale on the wam at £125+postage, I bought it for £106 including postage and returned it for a refund so be warned

struth
14-05-2016, 20:31
no pics anyways...i see you pm-ed him.

mikeyb
14-05-2016, 20:44
no pics anyways...i see you pm-ed him.
Yeah sent a pm then thought I'd check his profile and that's when I noticed he has same first name as the seller on eBay. Don't think it's coincidence.