PDA

View Full Version : Rega RB250 rewire - which kit and DIY or professional?

Max-Felix
29-04-2016, 09:59
The standard RB250 wiring as most know is not the last word in quality, the phono plugs especially offend me. :(

I've done a bit of electronics fettling over the years so not averse to having a go myself at re-wiring one of these but can anyone advise a good budget rewire kit? There are a fair number on eBay from £40 upwards - I am not looking to spend big money as some are silly expensive.

Maybe Audio Origami?

Or should I just replace the cheap phono plugs with some decent quality items as a halfway house?

Ammonite Audio
29-04-2016, 10:37
Be careful with stiffness of the wires in such kits. The Cardas wire that Johnnie at Audio Origami uses is actually much more supple than the apparently similar stuff on eBay. So, my recommendation is to get Johnnie to do the work.

CornishPasty
29-04-2016, 10:44
The Cardas wire that Johnnie at Audio Origami uses is actually much more supple than the apparently similar stuff on eBay.

You're right about that. I've bought the Cardas stuff of eBay and it's too stiff for my liking.

Regarding the RB250, the biggest let down imo is the external wiring. Replacing this and sorting the crap grounding gets you 90% of the way there.

Max-Felix
29-04-2016, 10:57
Thanks chaps, great info. Ralph, can you elaborate on this and the earthing solution etc - is it not one run from the cart terminals to phono plugs?