PDA

View Full Version : It was too good to last...At long last I've broken my duck: cantilever gone.

Kember
23-04-2016, 16:49
Up to now, and I've got past 50, I have managed never to snap a cantilever or have one go funny on me.

However, today, I discovered that somebody (and it could be me) had snapped the effing cantilever off my Zu Audio 103. I'm actually quite calm about because I know it happens at one stage or another to everybody, but a bit of a bummer, nonetheless.

The body itself is pristine and I don't really want to let it go - it made very nice music on my Mørch and 401. So the question, I guess, is retip, upgrade retip or replace.

I imagine the usual suspects for retipping will be NWA, Goldring or Len Gregory but does anybody have Denon/Zu retipping experience, and wants to share results? I also spend a lot of time in Italy and IIRC there is a needle man there (Torlai?) who is said to do great things with Denons. Does anybody here have experience of his work? I'm not in a hurry, if that is a consideration; I have other TTs to listen to.

Also there is periodic debate here regarding the pros and cons of kinds of stylus tips on a 103 - any updates/thoughts, please?

Thanks

Peter

struth
23-04-2016, 16:53
my cherry is still intact :eyebrows:

Kember
23-04-2016, 16:56
my cherry is still intact :eyebrows:

Grant,

your resemblance to a nun increases every day:)

P

vouk
23-04-2016, 16:56
Might want to check this one out:
https://www.schallplattennadeln.de/REPARATUR-RETIPPING/MC-SYSTEM-Reparatur/MC-System-DENON/
Very good rep around here and with a very fast turnaround.

I have a Bluelectric Virus reworked by Roberto Torlai; he certainly gets my recommendation. He has worked on Denon 103's for ages and is a great guy to chat with. Not cheap though.

Kember
23-04-2016, 17:00
Might want to check this one out:
https://www.schallplattennadeln.de/REPARATUR-RETIPPING/MC-SYSTEM-Reparatur/MC-System-DENON/

Very good rep around here and with a very fast turnaround.

Thanks John.

P

struth
23-04-2016, 17:01
Grant,

your resemblance to a nun increases every day:)

P
Ive a habit of appearing nunnish. after saying that I will likely bust one tomorrow :doh:

anyways, back on topic, I would likely look out for a new to you cart, and a good price; always nice to try something new, as if you dont you will never know:)

mother williamina

vouk
23-04-2016, 17:08
Thanks John.

P

I edited my previous post to include Roberto Torlai. He is certainly worth seeking out.

Kember
23-04-2016, 17:24
Ive a habit of appearing nunnish. after saying that I will likely bust one tomorrow :doh:

anyways, back on topic, I would likely look out for a new to you cart, and a good price; always nice to try something new, as if you dont you will never know:)

mother williamina

A nun with a good line in temptation!

Like it.

walpurgis
23-04-2016, 17:31
I suspect Grant is like me. More holey socks than Holy Orders. :eek: ;)

Ali Tait
23-04-2016, 22:49
I've heard a VDH retipped 103r which was very nice.

walpurgis
23-04-2016, 23:03
I've heard a VDH retipped 103r which was very nice.

To me. The 103R sounds considerably better than the base 103 so the retip is probably off to a good start. Can't recall the differences though. Both are conical tipped.

Thing is, for probably not a lot more than the cost of a decent retip, a ZYX R50 Bloom can be bought and they sound sublime.

NRG
23-04-2016, 23:48
Gold ring will only rebuild the 103. I agree with Geoff, I'd go for another cart...

jandl100
24-04-2016, 06:34
I had a Zu Denon and it had already been retipped with an elliptical (iirc) stylus.
It sounded very good and I'd happily have another, but I've done no comparisons with a standard conical stylus.

The Zu Denon is a great cart, imo, and I think it worthwhile to explore retipping options.

paulf-2007
26-04-2016, 19:01
I got off lightly, mangled the cantilever on an AT95 I had previously put into an aluminium body and could no longer use the stylus guard. My Benz wood doesn't have a stylus guard and does worry me somewhat. Expert stylus co?

dario1954
05-06-2016, 18:04
I can tell you about my self: I bought on ebay a 103 NEW but WITHOUT tip (the price was then very attractive).

I asked the seller to send to Torlai, who upgraded my standard 103 with the then top modification possible (boron stilus, Giger II diamond).

When I got it back my system was not working so I took the retipped 103 to a friend of mine who used until then only top VdH cartridges.

He had then an excellent system (DIY TT with a 25 kg platter, modified Rega 300 arm).

He was so impressed, he sold his VdH and bought a new 103 (not the regular one, do not remember the model but was costing about twice).

CAVEAT

I'm NOT related to Torlai, I've heard of audiophiles very satisfied and other much less, so ask for details (his price list is HERE (http://www.torlai.it)), delivery terms and so on, before deciding how to proceed...