PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kefalonia, Greece

yasso
21-04-2016, 15:56
Hi All, moved to Kefalonia 10 years ago leaving behind my Meridian 105/101 amps, Mission 770s which I have owned for nearly 30 years and. Rega Planar turntable. I recently had the opportunity to bring over the pre amp and 1 of the amps (weight restriction) Due to the size of the speakers I couldn't bring them, so, being on a budget, I bought a pair of Cambridge Audio sx 50 which I could fit in a suitcase. I've set up the system including high quality cables and connections ready for when I can get the other amp, also I wanted to hear the speakers even though I only have one channel. The audio quality was appalling, so boxy and muffled that I couldn't bear to listen to it. Does anyone know why this should be? could it be because I only have one channel? I've tried the speakers with a cheapo cheapo amp which sounded awful but then that was expected. Surely I haven't got a duff pair of speakers, I hope not, it's a long way to return them!
I hope I've posted this in the right place, if not I'll repost elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :cool:

Regards Nigel

take5
21-04-2016, 16:02
Nigel, welcome.

We are coming to your lovely Island this summer for 2 weeks. we have been before, many years ago and loved it, so looking forward to being back again.

I cant help you with regard to your speakers, Im afraid.

yasso
21-04-2016, 16:32
Hi Brian, If you are near Lourdas when you come pop into Muses Cafe/Bar and ask for Nigel And Rita (the owner is our neighbor) and maybe you can come and watch me tearing my hair out listening to my muffled speakers!!

Macca
21-04-2016, 17:04
Hi Nigel

I'm guessing here but it probably isn't the speakers, Start a new thread in the blank canvas section and you'll get some help.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

walpurgis
21-04-2016, 17:45
Hello Nigel. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what system you plan to end up with eventually and what music you like.

I'm assuming you've tried both Cambridge speakers and got similar results. If that's so, the problem is probably at or before the amp.

As mentioned. Post your problem in the Blank Canvas area and you'll get opinions and advice.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

take5
02-08-2016, 07:43
Nigel, popped in to say hello on Sunday evening about 8.30 ish, but the cafe was closed.

had a great day on your beach and lovely food afterwards. your village is fantastic and I'm very envious of your life choice.

Not sure if we will be over that way again, but if not. Perhaps another time.

yasso
02-08-2016, 08:11
Sorry I missed you, hope you're enjoying your holiday. It looks like the only way I can solve my speaker problem is to move house! my lounge is very large with painted sand and cement walls and tiled floor, they sound great outside on the terrace!