PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Opinions/Thoughts on Turntable Situation

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 13:17
Wondering if I can pick some analogue brains on my quandary.

I have an excellent condition Project RPM 6, with Henley bearing kit and I recently installed one of the Project 9cc £500 Tone arms with Cardas tone arm wire, along with a new junction box at time of fitting. These additions really took the 6 to new levels. I also have a brand new Speed Box as well, which saw more notable improvements. In comparison to much of the Project series, I think this is now one of the best.

As with all things Hifi, I fancy a change to my dream deck and have been saving and eating baked beans for a couple of months to to afford a Michell Gyro, but being on the poorer end of the financial scale, I would need to sell the RPM to fund the purchase, and try to achieve as much as I can.

With the Gyros coming without an arm, I have the choice of using the PRoject 9CC arm off the RPM6 with a Linn armboard. Doing this would give me a £500 arm on the Gyro (yet something that I have not yet seen tested or review 9CC/Gyro so it could be pretty bad matching) but then leave me with an RPM without a tone arm to sell.

The unfortunate side to this is I do not have the original RPM tone arm to replace it with. Don't ask - Flatmate in the doghouse for the next century.

Recently a standard RPM6 without any upgrades sold for £420 on ebay.

Do you think there would be much interest at a higher price category for the 6 with my setup using the 9CC. I would hope to achieve around £650 for it in its current guise considering the arm.

Or

Would it be better to keep the arm to use on the Gyro, and sell the RPM armless, which I imagine would fetch around £200 if there is interest?

Would love to hear some experienced thoughts, especially in terms of project arms on the Gyro.

I am looking for a used newish Gyrodec also - just a plug!

paulf-2007
16-04-2016, 07:23
I may be way off here but I don't see why an arm wouldn't work with any deck. The deck is either good or it's not, the same for an arm. I guess some arms may not work so well with a suspended deck but I don't have experience with suspended decks. My limited experience is this, a transrotor based DIY deck, belt drive, Rega 250, bland and uninspiring. Garrard 401, with either rosewood unipivots, 9" or 12" or Audiomods Classic, very good. Collaro 2010 with either of the unipivots, poor speed change but sounded as good as the Garrard. Lenco ptp with Audiomods Classic, again as good as the others. Now having took a gamble and sold both the Garrard and lenco I built a plinth for a Denon DP80 with the Audiomods Classic and it kills the Garrard and lenco stone dead. Speed stability is second to non, I won't wax lyrical about everything else it does but it's better than anything else I've heard. But should you go down the Denon road don't settle for any other model as the are not engineered the same and won't have the 3 phase motor and I wouldn't chance putting one in a fruit box plinth. Check out my build in the drawing board.

The Chronicals
16-04-2016, 11:13
I may be way off here but I don't see why an arm wouldn't work with any deck. The deck is either good or it's not, the same for an arm. I guess some arms may not work so well with a suspended deck but I don't have experience with suspended decks. My limited experience is this, a transrotor based DIY deck, belt drive, Rega 250, bland and uninspiring. Garrard 401, with either rosewood unipivots, 9" or 12" or Audiomods Classic, very good. Collaro 2010 with either of the unipivots, poor speed change but sounded as good as the Garrard. Lenco ptp with Audiomods Classic, again as good as the others. Now having took a gamble and sold both the Garrard and lenco I built a plinth for a Denon DP80 with the Audiomods Classic and it kills the Garrard and lenco stone dead. Speed stability is second to non, I won't wax lyrical about everything else it does but it's better than anything else I've heard. But should you go down the Denon road don't settle for any other model as the are not engineered the same and won't have the 3 phase motor and I wouldn't chance putting one in a fruit box plinth. Check out my build in the drawing board.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe thats a better way of looking at it! Is the Project Arm better than the Rega 300? (which is most likely what I would use on the Gyro). The reviews are really sparse for the 9CC arm, plus it is ultra low mass, and I think I might get more rewards out of a mid mass arm with my Nagaoka cartridge.

I'll have a look at your turntable build now!