PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Upgrade Recommendations

ktsimikos
14-04-2016, 20:16
Hello everyone,

I recently got my technics from a friend and thinking of buying a new MM cartridge to replace
the provided ortofon om pro, as my friend suggested I should do also. I am looking for something
around £200, and I have been reading really good reviews for the Nagaoka mp 200 recently. I also
read some good reviews on the at150 mlx and they were comparing them as they have the same material for
the cantilever. Does anyone have any suggestions or can share their experience with these cartridges? I know
I should go for second hand to fit my price range.

Thanks a lot!

walpurgis
14-04-2016, 20:38
Don't rule out the option of high output MC cartridges. There are some decent examples and they work into an MM input.

ktsimikos
14-04-2016, 20:46
I didn't know that! It will make it even harder to chose now I guess :doh:

walpurgis
14-04-2016, 21:04
You could consider the Denon DL-110 high output MC. It works well in the Technics and would likely suit your system.

Don't let me put you off the Nagaoka though. They are nice too.

vouk
15-04-2016, 04:09
Hi Kosta,

I would also consider the Shelter 201 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shelter-201-MM-Phono-Cartridge-with-Stylus-/252355936769?hash=item3ac1960201:g:mnsAAOSwpDdVFdQ 6) or the Sumiko Blue Point No 2. Both are really good cartridges for the money.

Some of the Grado cartridges are also worth considering: the Prestige series falls within your budget (the Gold is a rather nice cartridge) so might some of their wood bodied ones. They recently introduced the V2 versions so substantial savings can be found on their older models if you look around.

Cheers
-j.

hifi_dave
15-04-2016, 08:52
A bit more than your budget but the high output MC Hana EH, is very good and becoming popular.

RobbieGong
15-04-2016, 09:35
Some really like the Denon DL-160, another high output mc (see customer reviews tab) http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-160-Cartridge

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 12:51
I did like the Denon DL110 and 160, but I found them very boomy on the bass, and the clarity was not great, well it was till I tried a Nagaoka.

The MP200 bought used would fall into your budget.But they are very different carts. The Nagaoka will give you a somewhat recessed but clear top end, and a warm forward mid range - so really, it would be about system matching and what you want to hear. I like the fluid laid back warm but clear sound, yet if you are looking for more 'sparkle' and energy then maybe the Denon would be best.

I also mentioned the Ortofon 2M Bronze on your other thread, this is a fine cartridge, but is analytical and very clear, and a low mileage used one would be around your budget as well. it performs more akin to a HOMC in my opinion.

System and deck matching is quite important I found when picking a cart. As this becomes much of a hobby, even with a new cartridge, you'll be itching to try something else until you find what you want to hear. Sometimes you might try something new, then go back to the one you had before. I went through 10 till I settled on the MP200 then the MP500! Ive tried a few since the MP500 and always went back to it.

Also, are you using the Marantz phono stage? while it has a fine internal unit, I would look to changing the stage first, for cheap brilliant performance, a Trichord Dino would be a good start.

I personally think you get more for money on MM's in this price category than you do with MC's. I thought the MP200 was much better than the Dynavector 10x5 HOMC which is almost double its price.

One thing I know for sure - this is an never ending journey, you wont get it right first time. Just get something, enjoy it, try some others and as Rocky says, 'just keep moving forward' :)

walpurgis
15-04-2016, 13:46
I did like the Denon DL110 and 160, but I found them very boomy on the bass, and the clarity was not great

That sounds as though there was a mismatch somewhere. Arm maybe? Neither Denon is boomy and they do detail well with decent enough openness.

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 13:53
That sounds as though there was a mismatch somewhere. Arm maybe? Neither Denon is boomy and they do detail well with decent enough openness.

Could definitely be!

This was on a Project Genie and RPM6 with standard alloy arm, and then also the 9CC Carbon one piece arm. The Denon was definitely a boom fest on this setup. They do detail well, I did say that, but definitely not as well as a Nagaoka tried at the same time imo.

walpurgis
15-04-2016, 13:58
I suspect the Nagaoka is higher compliance. The arm mass may not have been enough for the rather low compliance Denons.

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 14:02
I suspect the Nagaoka is higher compliance. The arm mass may not have been enough for the rather low compliance Denons.

The Project arms are Low mass, featherweights at around 8-9g - would that explain it?

walpurgis
15-04-2016, 14:07
The Project arms are Low mass, featherweights at around 8-9g - would that explain it?

Very likely!

It's often worth experimenting with mass. As a temporary measure, mounting a 5p or 10p coin on top of the headshell with BluTak might have made all the difference

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 14:28
Very likely!

It's often worth experimenting with mass. As a temporary measure, mounting a 5p or 10p coin on top of the headshell with BluTak might have made all the difference

It did come with an additional weight which I tried with and without, still boomed away merrily with either :)

But for the price of the Denon 110, it is a very good cart for that money, it was just no way as smooth and detailed compared to a Nag, which for my ears was'nt quite right.

walpurgis
15-04-2016, 14:39
The DL-110 is fine at the price but I have to admit, I far prefer the DL-160. More refined and much quieter on surface noise.

The Chronicals
15-04-2016, 15:36
The DL-110 is fine at the price but I have to admit, I far prefer the DL-160. More refined and much quieter on surface noise.

I thought so too, but tricky to get hold of now as its discountinued, the 110 is still off the shelf

walpurgis
15-04-2016, 16:02
There's one high output MC nobody ever seems to think of. The Goldring Eroica H. I've not tried one, but if it sounds anywhere as good as the low output LX version, it should be very nice indeed. I do own the Eroica LX and like it a lot. It's very musical.

paulf-2007
16-04-2016, 07:52
SAE 1000LT made by coral in the '80s and can still be found, 2.5mv so a 1:2 step up would make a big difference as I found. But better on a medium to high mass arm. But use a headshell weight and more weight on the counterweight and it will sing. I have a spare you could try. Arm/cart matching is key along with cart/step up matching if using MC into mm stage.

cjm123
16-04-2016, 18:30
IMHO I would have thought the Denon DL-110 would work well in the Technics from an arm mass resonate point of view.I have had a DL-110 for some time using it in a Rega RP3 and found it dynamic and fun but a little lacking LF weight and in solidity of the images. Still a great cartridge though for the price!:)

Good luck with your search!

Simon_Nottingham
17-04-2016, 15:47
Some of the Grado cartridges are also worth considering: the Prestige series falls within your budget (the Gold is a rather nice cartridge) so might some of their wood bodied ones. They recently introduced the V2 versions so substantial savings can be found on their older models if you look around.

Cheers
-j.

I'd second the Grado. I recently got a Reference Series Platinum 2 to go with my Spacedeck and Ace Space arm and I'm more than happy with it.

ktsimikos
17-04-2016, 20:07
Thaks for all the interesting replies! I'll take some time to study your comments and let you know which way I'll go.

Paul, this 1:2 step up you are saying, does it mean I need a separate phono stage to use this cartridge? Because I am currently using
the integrated mm phono of my marantz pm6005.

Michael, I am thinking of going for a phono stage as well at some point but the previous owner of my current tt
suggested I should change the cartridge because it of its wear and low quality as he said.

The Chronicals
18-04-2016, 08:58
Thaks for all the interesting replies! I'll take some time to study your comments and let you know which way I'll go.

Paul, this 1:2 step up you are saying, does it mean I need a separate phono stage to use this cartridge? Because I am currently using
the integrated mm phono of my marantz pm6005.

Michael, I am thinking of going for a phono stage as well at some point but the previous owner of my current tt
suggested I should change the cartridge because it of its wear and low quality as he said.

You'll need a step up, or separate phono stage to use a Low Output Moving Coil, High Output MC's can be used through the Marantz internal MM unit.

Ah fair enough if it needs changing, it needs changing. Read some forum reviews about the carts been mentioned, all of which will be a step up for you, your welcome to pop over and bring your amp to hear a Nagaoka sometime.