PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone

Iota 1
10-04-2016, 17:25
Hello to everyone,

I have been involved in this pursuit since the 70’s, first and foremost as a music enthusiast, including all and any of its many flavours; then as an engineer, designer, and manufacturer, as well as 18 years as a Hi-fi and AV dealer. Before now returning full time to the design and development of new equipment including, turntables, tonearms, & electronics.

As you can imagine my system has evolved and changed enormously through the many years, and I have been very fortunate to have an opportunity to own and evaluate a very wide range of equipment from very many different manufacturers, in analogue, and digital reproduction, as well as large scale AV systems.

However during a five year period of living abroad whilst enjoying a very much more simple life with no television (by choice), and as a result I began to re-evaluate my high end analogue and digital system. With the result that this also did not seem to any longer fit this new home and lifestyle. So I settled with a simple, high quality but much more minimalist system that proved none the less to be equally rewarding, purely on a smaller scale.

Today having returned (most of the time) to live in the UK, as has always been the case my system is primarily vinyl based, now with turntables and tonearms of my own design as well as digital playback through a modified DVD drive feeding one of several DAC’s. We do now once again own a TV, although a very small one and then it’s confined to a cupboard!

Having been involved in high end audio as well as the design and installation of large scale home cinema, computer audio, and full house automation, I believe I became disillusioned with the increasing style over content and unnecessary complication, as well as the constant process of formats and equipment becoming obsolete and incompatible, this obscured my enjoyment of what is fundamentally how you access and enjoy music.

Keep it simple, music is to be enjoyed not endlessly processed and dissected.

paulf-2007
10-04-2016, 21:16
Welcome Nigel, very interesting, would like to see some pics of your turntables and other kit

trio leo
10-04-2016, 21:28
Hi Nigel,
Welcome to the AoS from me, interesting introduction, hope you find lots of interesting stuff from this friendly forum, any piccies?

Enjoy your music :)

cheers Al

walpurgis
12-04-2016, 09:00
Hi Nigel. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've been at the Hi-Fi game as long as me.

Tell us what music you listen to and about the system you use at the moment. Did you build any of it yourself?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
13-04-2016, 12:24
Welcome to AoS Nigel,

Yes we would love to see some photos of your TTs and of the rest of your kit. :)

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Audio Al
13-04-2016, 12:35
Hi and welcome 2 AOS

The HIFI Forum

Enjoy your time here , The more YOU put in the more you get out

Rush2112
24-04-2016, 20:19
Hello old friend, so good to hear from you, there are a few others here who know you and remember with fondness their time at Chamtry Audio.

Sparkandjump70
28-04-2016, 00:01
Hello Nigel. New member myself and had a nice warm welcome. I could happily live without tv, but not radio. I don't have a grand system. I do love music though and play too. Interesting to hear you built your own gear.

Floyddroid
30-04-2016, 15:45
Fascinating intro and intriguing views. A big welcome sir.
Welcome Nigel, very interesting, would like to see some pics of your turntables and other kit