PDA

View Full Version : Valve Amp Chassis

Rare Bird
06-11-2009, 20:03
Can anyone put me onto a UK supply for Valve amp chassis (Vintage style)

Cotlake
06-11-2009, 20:20
I'm not sure what 'Vintage style' means here. You're probably asking a bit much although such chassis' can appear on ebay. You need to specify your design and valve/transformer intentions to distinguish hole cut outs etc. DIYers either fold and cut their own chassis' or take a stock item and adapt by cutting holes as required to accommodate the intended design.

Hammond is a good local company and you can deal directly with them for small one off purchases.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/

Regards,

Greg

The Vinyl Adventure
06-11-2009, 20:27
I have seem a kit on eBay of late that used to be fully function valve amps but are now valveless or in major state of disrepair! I was thinking, last time I saw one, that it would be viable, at least to someone in the know, to revamp one! You could have a really nice bit of vintage looking kit (sand blasted and refinished) with all your own elecytronics in it.. Just using the shell of the old amp! I dunno if that sort of thing is possible or even viable but i always like to chuck ideas in to the pot even if they are a no-goer

REM
07-11-2009, 10:24
Just a thought, wot about a computer case from the likes of Maplins or CPC?

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 14:01
Thanks guys but i've had second thought about it, Valves arnt really a good idea..there not for me..Money for old rope really

The Vinyl Adventure
07-11-2009, 14:20
Thanks guys but i've had second thought about it, Valves arnt really a good idea..there not for me..Money for old rope really

:lolsign:

im gonna be taking bets on the amount of time in minutes and seconds before marco or steve make a comment on the above!

DSJR
07-11-2009, 14:23
Not if you choose carefully.

Some of the DIY bods here and elsewhere sometimes have carefully built WAD kits available at very reasonable prices, but you have to be a skilled bodger (actually a very noble trade a couple of centuries ago - Mick Parry please take note :)) to fully fettle an old unit..

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 16:07
:lolsign:

im gonna be taking bets on the amount of time in minutes and seconds before marco or steve make a comment on the above!

You either want sound resolution & pin point imaging of the warm euphoric spaciousness.

The Vinyl Adventure
07-11-2009, 16:25
You either want sound resolution & pin point imaging of the warm euphoric spaciousness.

i think you will find that comment quite contriversial too!
wheres steve??

SPS
07-11-2009, 17:39

i used to think that... i heard /home demo'd loads of 300b amps( cos i need lots of watts) there was some thing there .. but it was not right...

then i got into restoring older amps.. then diy amps.. I've not looked back...

cheers
steve

Marco
07-11-2009, 17:45

LOL - between that and turntables you're on form today! :lolsign:

Face it, matey, you don't really know what you want.

I don't think what you've written deserves any further comment than that ;)

Marco.

Will
07-11-2009, 17:45

You should get out more, a good place to start would be Owston.

Ali Tait
07-11-2009, 17:54
Agreed.Andre,I know it would be a long way to come,but if you could make one of our diy fests,I think you would be very surprised what valves are capable of.You just need to keep an open mind.:)

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 18:42
i think you will find that comment quite contriversial too!
wheres steve??

That should be funny since steve spoke to me one about a certain pre amp brand ;)

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 18:45
LOL - between that and turntables you're on form today! :lolsign:

Marco.

I want easy simplness without the hassle of hifi bullshit generally associated with vinyl & valves..I woke up this morning to be truthfull & realised...This FLAC front end laces any high end vinyl system ive ever owned over the last 25 years.But hobby is an hobby for the enthusiast i guess something i got board with a few years ago.

Themis
07-11-2009, 18:46
What is your FLAC frontend Andre ?

Jonboy
07-11-2009, 19:03

Marco.

+1:popcorn:

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 19:17
What is your FLAC frontend Andre ?

ASUSTEK Laptop
LaCie 1TB Outboard HDD
High Resolution Technologies (HRT) Streamer
FLAC-Media Monkey Media Player

Themis
07-11-2009, 19:24
Ok, thanks, Andre. It's a nice starting point, indeed. :)
Although, the HRT is rather on the "euphonic" side, to be honest. But I guess the result depends on the rest, too (room/speakers).

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 19:31
Ok, thanks, Andre. It's a nice starting point, indeed. :)
Although, the HRT is rather on the "euphonic" side, to be honest. But I guess the result depends on the rest, too (room/speakers).

Far from Euphoric! Starting point! How would you improve on that FLAC system without Thousands & Thousands of pound? Believe me i've tried the more expensive HRT, aint as good as the red one..CD Players sound pants compare to that.

My upgrade now is proper USB leads & interconnects

Themis
07-11-2009, 19:43
Andre, I don't discuss the point that the sound is ok for your setup. It certainly is, you're the best person to decide on that. But the HRT has a -1.8dB on the audible spectrum, this clearly has an enormous sonic signature, very far from any dac in the market...

The only "improvement" I can see is on the dac side : but, then, if you introduce a "neutral" dac, not sure you will appreciate the result.
What are the digital outs of your ASUS ? (I have also an ASUS laptop, but I use it only for Photoshop. Great laptops.)

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 19:51
Yes the technical issue you mention do exist but i've compared this to the Benchmark USB DAC, i'm sorry to say that even though the Benchmark is just suppose to be that a benchmark, i hated the over bright sound..the HRT sound perfect technical spec or not..Never believe what you see in most instances it's bull shit.

Digital outs? if you coming around to ''it's not good taking the power source from down the same USB the signal comes''..That is one of the design features of the HRT it doesnt work like other steamers.Asus are very fast lappies. i have two notepads aswell.Besides laptop aside it's technically only a media library, nothing in there use use to play the sounds it's all outboard..

Themis
07-11-2009, 19:58
I don't like the Benchamrk either. You don't have an optical out on the laptop ?

Have you tried the Caiman dac ?

Rare Bird
07-11-2009, 20:07
No Demitri.Not intrested in the Caiman or digital outputs..

Themis
07-11-2009, 20:30
No problemo. Just proposing to your "how to improve without thousands" phrase. ;)

Have a look at this : http://www.usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html
or this : http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185