PDA

View Full Version : A place for downloading LIVE rock music !

Themis
06-11-2009, 19:48
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concerts/

Beechwoods
06-11-2009, 19:56
Lots of good stuff, but all lossy! :doh:

This is from Bill Graham's archive - Bill Graham of the Fillmore West & East, and legendary San Francisco gig promoter.

Well worth checking out!

Themis
06-11-2009, 20:00
There are plenty of FLAC downloads too. Lossless. ;)
For instance http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/al-kooper/concerts/record-plant-october-23-1974.html

What I find nice, is that you can listen to the whole concerts (before buying, for instance).

John
06-11-2009, 21:21
Thanks for the link looks like I will be expolring this

Beechwoods
06-11-2009, 22:12
There are plenty of FLAC downloads too. Lossless. ;)
For instance http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/al-kooper/concerts/record-plant-october-23-1974.html

What I find nice, is that you can listen to the whole concerts (before buying, for instance).

The flac downloads are new on me. I last checked them out back last year and it was all lossy back then. IIRC there's a Laura Nyro show I really wanted to find as lossless... will have to have another look.

The Byrds shows are excellent, by the way.

Rare Bird
06-11-2009, 22:20
The flac downloads are new on me. I last checked them out back last year and it was all lossy back then. IIRC there's a Laura Nyro show I really wanted to find as lossless... will have to have another look.

The Byrds shows are excellent, by the way.

A serious problem with downloading live concerts in MP-3 is if the uploader takes it from an Audio CD, you'll get a micro pause between each track on your final download, this is because MP-3 can't seem to connect to the proceeding track flawlessly, the read out on any CD player indicates a track change on the live CD even though you obviously don't hear a pause to the proceeding track being a live concert, but the MP-3 picks up that CD change in the form of a pause on your final burned to CD-r product ..FLAC are flawless. The pause might not be noticed by some casual listerners but the intence hearphone listerner will detect it..

If the concerts taken from a record or Tape it's a different matter.

Beechwoods
06-11-2009, 22:31
You're right about those micro-gaps. For me, though the simple fact that MP3 didn't exist when the concerts were recorded is the clearest indicator that better quality transfers exist, and I won't settle for second best... not with music I love. MP3's ok for previews, but not real listening. MP3 devalues the document as far as I'm concerned. In these days of broadband there's no excuse either - its good to see online places like Wolfgang's Vault getting the point!

Themis
07-11-2009, 06:53
I bought MP3s twice : the day of iTunes going live and on Amazone's beta opening of Download Center.

So, I tested, and promised myself never to get into trouble again: the quality is not worth the money. You can find CDs for half the price of the MP3/AAC on sale... :(

DanJennings
07-11-2009, 11:18
I bought MP3s twice : the day of iTunes going live and on Amazone's beta opening of Download Center.

So, I tested, and promised myself never to get into trouble again: the quality is not worth the money. You can find CDs for half the price of the MP3/AAC on sale... :(

Just once for me:
XTC released a download only single: 'Where Did The Ordinary People Go'. I had to grit my teeth as I spent that 70p or whatever...
Does it piss anyone else off when artists do 'iTunes Only' bonus tracks? What a kick in the teeth for proper fans... But loads of people do it, bastards.:steam:

Alex_UK
07-11-2009, 13:41
Does it piss anyone else off when artists do 'iTunes Only' bonus tracks? What a kick in the teeth for proper fans... But loads of people do it, bastards.:steam:

I hate this too, and won't buy them - worse, is when some artists release itunes/mp3/download albums only - though I guess this will only increase...:wah:

DanJennings
07-11-2009, 17:41
I hate this too, and won't buy them - worse, is when some artists release itunes/mp3/download albums only - though I guess this will only increase...:wah:

It might be semi acceptable if you could buy the tracks separately after buying the CD/Vinyl, but no.... You have to buy the whole mp3 album. great.
I flat out refuse to rebuy an album on mp3.
Static-X and Regina Spektor and many more, I'm looking at YOU!

Concerto Audio
08-11-2009, 13:33
My son uses a website called www.gomusic.ru.
I have't used it because I don't like the quality of downloaded music but you can listen it and decide whether to buy the CD or not. Download from this site is very cheap as well
Check it out guys!!