PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my Garrard 301

sanjivs
31-03-2016, 10:24
I own a Garrard 301/SME Series III/Ortofon Super OM20 for the past couple of years and the turntable has given me great service with no problem so far. In order to maintain the same, I have just completed servicing motor - the main bearing was serviced earlier.

While installing the turntable back in its plinth (made from 5 layers of 18mm plywood), for a change I decided to ensure that the level of the turntable is correct. So, with the help of a spirit level I first leveled the plinth and then checked the level of the platter. I was surprised - it was no where close to being level - both, front-to-back and left-to-right.

On careful examination I noticed that if I look at the turntable from the front I see far more of a gap between the platter (bottom edge) and the chassis on the right side (tonearm side) than the left. Have any of you ever come across such a situation?

I inspected (visual) the platter's bushing and they seem to be OK - I think if they were not positioned straight the platter would wobble and I see no wobble at all. Also, the smaller gap between the platter's lower edge and chassis on the left side remains constant even when I remove the platter and refit it on the spindle after turning it 180 degrees. Neither does the spindle seem to be damaged/bent - I believe if this was so the platter would also wobble.

Further, the center of the chassis (where the spindle housing is bolted on) seems to be OK and not bent though I'll need to check it again with a spirit level. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to check if the spindle is at 90 degrees to the chassis.

Now, assuming that I can't find the cause for this tilted platter, I am thinking of putting shims at appropriate locations between the spindle housing collar and the chassis such that the platter becomes horizontal - both, front-to-back and left-to-right. Does this seem to be a reasonable solution to the problem?

Your feedback, observation, advice and suggestion will be welcome.

Look forward to hearing from you folks.

A.Grail
31-03-2016, 10:41
Either the platter bush needs cleaning out (Even a very very small spec can throw things off) or you need to shim. The Garrard chassis is not machined flat to mate with the bearing housing (Unlike the Thorens 124 as an example) The exaggerated observable imbalance on the outside of the platter is a magnification of the difficulty with the bearing / chassis mating. It is possible for the bearing collar or the chassis to have damage which could cause this issue. You do not mention if your have an oil or grease bearing - If you have a grease bearing you could try turning the bearing and remounting the platter - did the imbalance move to the other side? If so the issue is confirmed. sadly this test is not possible with an oil bearing as the oil reservoir has to correspond to the 'notch' cut out in the chassis.
I would try shimming to correct the issue, if this does not work you will need to look again at the platter bearing. Please bare in mind the shim would need to be very thin card or similar, we are not talking huge shims here.

sanjivs
22-05-2016, 05:35
Have solved the tilted platter issue... inserted shims at a couple of locations between the spindle housing collar and the chassis such that the platter has become horizontal - both, front-to-back and left-to-right. Used a combination of pieces from a beer can and kitchen aluminum foil to make these shims. So now I have got the plinth, turntable chassis and the platter top horizontal!

With this done and the motor serviced (main bearing was serviced a couple of years earlier) the 301 is running beautifully... the background sound has become blacker than before.

One issue left... in the process of servicing the motor, while removing the jammed up pulley, I damage the same - the 45 & 78 RPM sections. The 33 rpm section is still perfectly OK. I need to replace the same and will source it from Perfect Sound, UK. Apparently, they sell a couple of sizes - Large, Euro and Small. I need to know which one is appropriate for my use. I live in India and here the supply electricity is between 220 and 240 volts and the frequency is 50 Hz. So, which of the 3 sizes would be the correct one. Further, in the past (before the motor was serviced) my turntable had a tendency of running fast and to help correct the speed I had to use a 60 watt bulb - yes it does change the sound but I quite like it! I need to recheck (post motor service) if it still runs fast (without the bulb in circuit)... and if this is still true, then in such a case which pulley - Large, Euro or Small would be the appropriate one to buy. Unfortunately, I have not got any response from Perfect Sound despite writing to them twice.

Look forward to hearing from you folks...