PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Aberdeen

Yowsah
27-03-2016, 15:11
Hi everyone! My name is Hutton and I live in Aberdeen. I have very little knowledge in relation to home hi-fi. However, I am seeking to improve my current equipment. My priority is an upgraded turntable. I currently have a well-used Ariston ATT-420. My amp is a Marantz PM6010 OSE and the speakers are floor-standing Sony SS - 176E. I need to know if I upgrade my turntable do I also need to upgrade amp and speakers at the same time or can it be done gradually. What would be the best part of the forum to ask these questions. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly blues/soul/ funk. I am looking forward to building up a better system to listen to all the vinyl I have collected during my 58 years on the planet!

My username by the way is from Chic's track 'Dance, dance, dance' when Nile Rodgers offers a nasal refrain of 'yowsah, yowsah, yowsah'. I'm a big fan of Chic.

Macca
28-03-2016, 00:28
Hi Hutton and welcome to the forum

Specific turntable questions should be asked in the 'Analogue Art' section, a general question about improving your system should be asked in Blank Canvas.

Lots of people to offer advice here and there is a large Scottish contingent too. Enjoy!

walpurgis
28-03-2016, 10:36
Hello Hutton. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what other music you like playing.

As for your system. The Marantz is not a bad amp and Sony tend to turn out reasonable sounding speakers, so these are probably worth using for the time being. Personally, I'd concentrate on looking at the record playing side of things to start with. I believe the amp has a phono stage and being Marantz it's likely to sound decent, so money spent on upgrading the turntable will not be wasted.

As Martin says, there are sections for each topic, should you want to ask questions or just join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
28-03-2016, 10:44
Welcome to the site Hutton... My gran lived in the granite city for many years. A better tt and maybe a cart and phono stage would be the way to go. The stage in the amp will be decent but unlikely to be great. There are plenty options that wont break the bank for external phono stages that just go into a line socket of existing amp.

Yowsah
28-03-2016, 10:51
Thanks for the advice folks. Much appreciated! To answer what else I like to play: Prog/Jazz (Fusion)/world music.

Barry
01-04-2016, 13:49
Welcome to AoS Hutton,

Hope you enjoy the Forum
Barry

jollyfix
01-04-2016, 14:01
Hi Hutton ,welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum.

Ali Tait
01-04-2016, 14:08
Fit like! Welcome to the madhoose.

struth
01-04-2016, 14:11
You forgot to call him a loon. ..not an insult by way:)

Ali Tait
01-04-2016, 14:18
Aye chaffin awa!

take5
01-04-2016, 18:35
Hi hutton, and welcome.

I lived in Aberdeen for 4 years. I loved it there, and have many happy memories.. It felt like a little oasis, separate from the rest of the world.