PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Preamp for my new McIntosh MC225

Berni217
23-03-2016, 21:27
I have just acquired a fully restored Vintage Power Amp McIntosh MC225 from http://vintagevacuumaudio.com/amps-for-sale/, which is sounding sweet.

I am now looking for a suitable Valves Preamp with the following features:

Great built-in quality MM/MC Phono stage (Must have).
Headphone amp (Nice to have)

I have shortlisted the following 2 Preamps:

McIntosh C2300
Shindo Montbrison

Let me know if you have any of the above up for sale.

Alternatively, feel free to tempt me with other Preamps which could meet my criteria.

Possible Swap/Part exchange: I have an Integrated Leben C300X and a Tron Seven Reference Phono Stage, which could move to a new home.

Thanks,
B.

Firebottle
24-03-2016, 06:40
Hi Berni,

If you've already got a Tron Seven Reference Phono Stage why ask for a suitable Valve Preamp with a great built-in quality MM/MC Phono stage? You've got one already I would have thought.

Cheers,
Alan

Berni217
24-03-2016, 13:19
Hi Berni,

If you've already got a Tron Seven Reference Phono Stage why ask for a suitable Valve Preamp with a great built-in quality MM/MC Phono stage? You've got one already I would have thought.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan,

The Tron Seven Ref. is a great Phono Stage. However, as I need a new Preamp, I am trying to A) Reduce the number of boxes B) Release some funds ... if I can get a Preamp with a very good stage, if that makes sense.

If I do not find what I am after, an alternative would be to keep the Tron but maybe get a Passive Preamp like the Goldpoint for the time being.

Regards,
B.

topoxforddoc
25-03-2016, 19:59
Berni,

You won't find a preamp with an on board MC phono as good as the TRON Seven Reference. I have a Seven Reference as well as GT's personal demonstrator TRON Meteor (Syren predecessor) with upgrades to the phono stage and a new external filament supply circuit. Even the on board phono on the Meteor isn't quite as good as the TRON Seven Reference. You have compromises in terms of space, shielding and power supply, which inevitably mean that a preamp with on board phono won't sound quite as good as a separate line level and phono preamp pair. Don't forget that the Shindo isn't CE marked and you'll have to make sure that it is configured for 240V and not 220V.

r100
25-03-2016, 20:25
If I do not find what I am after, an alternative would be to keep the Tron but maybe get a Passive Preamp like the Goldpoint for the time being.

or maybe the Tortuga (http://www.tortugaaudio.com) ? I would love to get an opinion on that one (I know, I'm being selfish :D)

Berni217
26-03-2016, 07:47
Berni,

You won't find a preamp with an on board MC phono as good as the TRON Seven Reference. I have a Seven Reference as well as GT's personal demonstrator TRON Meteor (Syren predecessor) with upgrades to the phono stage and a new external filament supply circuit. Even the on board phono on the Meteor isn't quite as good as the TRON Seven Reference. You have compromises in terms of space, shielding and power supply, which inevitably mean that a preamp with on board phono won't sound quite as good as a separate line level and phono preamp pair. Don't forget that the Shindo isn't CE marked and you'll have to make sure that it is configured for 240V and not 220V.
Hi Charlie,

The Tron reference is great but I would like to try a great preamp with a very good MM/MC stage.

My Tron is MC only and I might be willing to compromise if I get it all in one box (preamp, mm/mc, other features, ...).

The Shindo or McIntosh mentioned above would be my favourite so far.

or maybe the Tortuga (http://www.tortugaaudio.com) ? I would love to get an opinion on that one (I know, I'm being selfish :D)
I will investigate. Thanks.

Spectral Morn
26-03-2016, 17:39
My Balanced Audio Technology VK31 Se works well with your power - amp. I had an opportunity to try that pairing a few years ago and I liked it. Ultimately I stuck with my Music Reference RM200 because I felt it suited the system better.

For sale here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34917-For-Sale-Balanced-Audio-Technology-VK31-Se-pre-amplifier. I hope you don't mind me suggesting it.

I would agree with others, you will struggle to find a pre with integrated phono stage to match yours.

Berni217
26-03-2016, 21:59
My Balanced Audio Technology VK31 Se works well with your power - amp. I had an opportunity to try that pairing a few years ago and I liked it. Ultimately I stuck with my Music Reference RM200 because I felt it suited the system better.

For sale here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34917-For-Sale-Balanced-Audio-Technology-VK31-Se-pre-amplifier. I hope you don't mind me suggesting it.

I would agree with others, you will struggle to find a pre with integrated phono stage to match yours.

Thanks Neil. I will pass on this one though.
B.

Spectral Morn
27-03-2016, 10:20
Thanks Neil. I will pass on this one though.
B.

Realise the BAT isn't perceived to be all cool and trendy but its a very good pre and would/does suit your balanced MAC, but no worries.

struth
27-03-2016, 10:23
Dunno it looks pretty cool to me

Berni217
27-03-2016, 13:50
Realise the BAT isn't perceived to be all cool and trendy but its a very good pre and would/does suit your balanced MAC, but no worries.

No offence Neil. I tend to go with what I know as I am looking for long term ownership.
B.

Spectral Morn
27-03-2016, 14:17
No offence Neil. I tend to go with what I know as I am looking for long term ownership.
B.

No offence taken. I bought a BAT VK52 SE from a seller on here awhile back and that is my lifelong main system pre now. I use an Integrated BAT VK300 SE in my living room set up so I am quiet wedded to BAT gear, also have a VK10SE phonostage. The VK31 Se is not really needed now, and I am only looking to sell simply because I can't justify keeping it here now. I guess if I had a bit more room for a power-amp I could use it in the living room, but I don't.

I suggested it because I have heard it with your power amp and its a balanced design and balanced would suit your power amp better than a single ended design. Ideally I guess the matching Mcintosh pre would be a good choice.

Anyway no offence, no worries.

Berni217
29-03-2016, 09:36
Still looking.