PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Long optical or USB?

twelvebears
05-11-2009, 08:38
Gents I need your collective wisdom.

A major shake-up is taking place in my home system. Basically I've been using Apple TV for media streaming duties thus far (via network cable), and that's been connected to StanDac via the usual short optical cable.

Unfortunately my frustration at Apple TV's limited HD video capabilities mean it's being kicked into touch and my iMac is to be moved to the 'Boys Room' (as Mrs Gascoyne calls it) and will be taking control directly.

However, the massive size differences between a tiny Apple TV box and a 20" iMac mean that I will have to run a long cable (5m) between it and StanDac.

So, the question is, do I go with a 5m optical cable (with mini-Toslink adapter at the iMac end) or a 5m USB cable? What's likely to give the best results?

Themis
05-11-2009, 09:17
To me, it's better a five meter optical. I have a (very) cheap one for my PS3 and I find it hassle-free.

Carson
20-11-2009, 01:27
Optical is your best bet, strictly speaking USB is limited to 3m, though it can be run a little further. I try and run no more than 4m if I can help it.

I assume you are connecting to your Beresford, in which case optical should allow for higher quality audio transmission as USB is capped at 24bit/48Khz. Though I might be wrong about that, so if someone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me.

NRG
20-11-2009, 07:43
Full speed USB devices support a maximum of 5m in a single cable run, slow speed devices support 3m maximum. TB would be fine at 5m.

Higher audio quality transmission is limited by the USB chip set not the USB standard. The Caimen / 7520 supports 16/48.

TB could also consider coax at that distance, it may prove better than either Toslink or USB.

Carson
20-11-2009, 12:49
Full speed USB devices support a maximum of 5m in a single cable run, slow speed devices support 3m maximum. TB would be fine at 5m.

Higher audio quality transmission is limited by the USB chip set not the USB standard. The Caimen / 7520 supports 16/48.

TB could also consider coax at that distance, it may prove better than either Toslink or USB.

I was almost there then :lol: