PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a Turntable to a TV

nigsy116
23-03-2016, 10:02
Hi all;

1st post here so hopefully in the right forum; appologies if not.

I have a Sony PS-LX300USB turntable (supposed to have built in pre-amp stage) and a new Samsung 48" curved 4k TV - UE48JU6500KXXU.

The TV has L/R audio inputs on the rear but when I connect the turntable all i get is a 'weak / no signal' message. I wonder if this is even possible or is the TV also looking for a video input and ignoring the audio stream?

The TV sound outputs to a Sonos system via optical; just in case any one was wondering why I would want to listen to vinyl on TV speakers!!

rikardo1979
23-03-2016, 10:15
are you sure you have RCA audio Inputs?
Can you take a photo of the rear connection panel a post it?

edit: and if so on what Input are these? AV?

Kvaal
23-03-2016, 10:35
There is a button on the rear of the tt. It lets you switch between "line" and "phono". Make sure it is set to "line".

struth
23-03-2016, 10:45
Not sure this tv has audio rca inputs... Its not mentioned

Spectral Morn
23-03-2016, 11:05
Not sure this tv has audio rca inputs... Its not mentioned

Its not unheard of, composite or SVHS input and left and right RCA ins for that video connection, but it is less common these days, more common for there to be an audio out.

struth
23-03-2016, 11:32
Think it mentioned componet in... But if the tt has a switch for bypassingvthe internal amp then that sounds like its the likely culprit

nigsy116
23-03-2016, 11:43
Here's an image of the back pannel inputs. I'm assuming the bottom 2 are L/R in?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BywYt-MW4O_FRVlLeUZRNWktbU0

Work firewall won't allow me to upload image:(

nigsy116
23-03-2016, 11:44
There is a button on the rear of the tt. It lets you switch between "line" and "phono". Make sure it is set to "line".

Yep tried both.

Spectral Morn
23-03-2016, 11:51
Think it mentioned componet in... But if the tt has a switch for bypassingvthe internal amp then that sounds like its the likely culprit

So there will be a sound element for that video input. I think you are probably right.

Spectral Morn
23-03-2016, 11:53
Yep tried both.

The TV will need to be switched to the correct input. If it is, I guess there might be a set up option in a menu in the TV. That might need tweaking. It should work. If not then maybe a video signal needs to be sensed on that input for it to work, but if so I haven't come across that before.

rikardo1979
23-03-2016, 12:00
^^^this
TV ON, on the AV Input assigned to these ports

nigsy116
23-03-2016, 12:40
Not home until Friday now. So will have another play with it then.

Thanks all.

nigsy116
25-03-2016, 16:23
OK. Tried the turn table on another TV with L/R audio connectors and it still doesn't work; I'm guessing the TV is looking for a video signal as well. Not sure what the answer is now without buying a dedicated pair of speakers for the record player.
Might try getting a composite to HDMI conversion lead see if that will trick the TV into allowing play through?

rikardo1979
25-03-2016, 16:27
let me try this :) I need to pull out some old gear to plug into my TV :D

rikardo1979
25-03-2016, 16:42
OK, so I pull out my analogue adaptor to be able to plug RCA to my Panasonic TX-50AX802B :D
So I have connected just audio RCA cable from my CDP into TV, switched to appropriate AV, AV2 in this case and I playing music from CDP on TV speakers ;)

So I believe you doing something wrong or your TV is broken on that input or your TT does not have built in pre-amp or is broken :D
I can't tell which is your case, you need to test yourself I am afraid

To be honest I never heard of video signal detection on composite inputs so it wont be that

Spectral Morn
25-03-2016, 17:57
OK, so I pull out my analogue adaptor to be able to plug RCA to my Panasonic TX-50AX802B :D
So I have connected just audio RCA cable from my CDP into TV, switched to appropriate AV, AV2 in this case and I playing music from CDP on TV speakers ;)

So I believe you doing something wrong or your TV is broken on that input or your TT does not have built in pre-amp or is broken :D
I can't tell which is your case, you need to test yourself I am afraid

To be honest I never heard of video signal detection on composite inputs so it wont be that

That was only a guess, not gospel. Me trying to think why it might not be working, when it should.

mikmas
25-03-2016, 18:44

I have - frequently ....our current Samsung does the same.
If I connect up to the composite trio it will only play sound if there is a video signal present, without a video signal it will not select that channel. Fortunately ours still had a separate RCA sound input when we bought it but looking at the specs for the OP's model there is no option for that (one thing putting me off updating ours :(

rikardo1979
25-03-2016, 18:50
I have - frequently ....our current Samsung does the same.
If I connect up to the composite trio it will only play sound if there is a video signal present, without a video signal it will not select that channel. Fortunately ours still had a separate RCA sound input when we bought it but looking at the specs for the OP's model there is no option for that (one thing putting me off updating ours :(

So are you saying here that when you turn ON your TV and you switched it to the AV input which have these analogue AV inputs assigned to it does not play sound if there is no video signal?

nigsy116
26-03-2016, 11:49
So are you saying here that when you turn ON your TV and you switched it to the AV input which have these analogue AV inputs assigned to it does not play sound if there is no video signal?

That's exactly what happens. Plug in the L/R audio, select the correct input on the TV and you get 'Weak no signal' message; there are no options in settings to configure the input apart from telling the TV the type of device you are trying to connect. All the options you can configure include some kind of video signal. I've ordered a cheap component to HDMI converter off ebay see if I can trick the TV into playing the turntable source.
The pre amp is working on the turntable as I can plug it into my old Fergusson radio / tape recorder and it plays.

Need to now explain to the wifelet that after spending a fortune on a new TV and Sonos system I now need another £400 for speakers for the turntable!

struth
26-03-2016, 11:54
Have you tried another audio source like a cd player. Or try a dvd signal if you have one with same plugs with some video and see if it works

mikmas
26-03-2016, 13:04

That's exactly what I mean - and what I wrote in the post you replied to.

If I connect my X-box to the Composite AV inputs (Red, White and Yellow RCA) I get sound and vision; if I connect my iPhone or other audio source to the AV sound ports without a video connection (Red and White RCA only) I get nothing and can't even select the AV channel. This is true of my TV and clearly the one used by the OP. I have also had exactly the same experience with Composite AV connections on other devices - if there is no video connection the device will not recognise that selection.

nigsy116
02-04-2016, 16:16
Okay and here's my current solution to this.

1 - Connect Raspberry Pi to the video input (not HDMI)
2 - Connect phono L/R as usual from the turntable.

Pi - creates a video signal which the TV recognises and now the phono is also active and the wonderful sound of Vinyl can be heard through my Sonos speakers via the optical TV output.

Not the prettiest of solutions; but a solution none the less. Hope this helps someone else out.