PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: wharfedale mid range speakers

Lawrence001
22-03-2016, 23:53
I today received a pair of Wharfedale Laser 400 speakers with the isodynamic "ribbon" tweeters as found in the famous Leak 3090 studio monitors. I was surprisingly blown away by them - some of the best speakers I've heard. Big balanced sound digs deep (10" polyprop woofers) but tight, and a detailed and smooth treble from the lovely tweeter. Unfortunately I noticed some tizz on some notes in a choral piece and then started to notice it more often. The culprits are both mid range speakers. They are quite common being the plastic white ones with the spiral rows of little holes found in many mid price wharfedale speakers of the late 70s and early 80s. If anyone has a spare pair going Id be eternally grateful, these deserve to be brought back to life. The only exact perfect fit would be a pair from laser 200/400s as they have different mountings and baskets but the same cone is found in a variety of others with the square mounting and I think with a little ingenuity I can get them to stay in place!

Thanks for reading, Lawrence