PDA

View Full Version : LED ZEPPELIN 1 .... advice please

take5
22-03-2016, 11:51
A friend has asked me to buy an Lp on her behalf. It is to be a birthday present for her husband.

Its an area I know very little about, so need some advice.

She wants a copy of Led Zep 1, and has given me a budget of 50 pounds.

It can be second hand. I see some new 180 gm versions on Ebay. He is not a Hi Fi person in any way.

Any suggestions ?

rdpx
22-03-2016, 12:09
A friend has asked me to buy an Lp on her behalf. It is to be a birthday present for her husband.

Its an area I know very little about, so need some advice.

She wants a copy of Led Zep 1, and has given me a budget of 50 pounds.

It can be second hand. I see some new 180 gm versions on Ebay. He is not a Hi Fi person in any way.

Any suggestions ?

Seeing as you can pay up to a few grand for an ultimate first press copy of Led Zep 1, you might as well just get him a new one, unless you think he would prefer an old one, in case get him an old NEAR MINT one from a record seller with 100% positive feedback on eBay.

Personally, I would probably prefer a NEAR MINT or at least EXCELLENT old one.

struth
22-03-2016, 12:34
Try and get a nice condition one on plum. Should get one for a decent amount and sound quality and desirability are superb.. Faili!g that the newest of the zep re releases are good value and sou!d good too... I had a lot of plums and they were much better sound wise
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-ZEPPELIN-I-LP-Atlantic-588171-Original-UK-1st-A1-B1-Press-Warner-Plum-VG-/252328252520?hash=item3abfef9468:g:TYUAAOSwHxVW8Hy v

Its more than i would pay tbh but today probably the going price for condition... If you look hard you may find a better one

Beverast
22-03-2016, 12:39
I have a few of the more recent 180gram remastered reissues (IV, I, II and Houses Of The Holy). In my opinion they all sound good and for me have been extremely quiet in the grooves. If he is not a Hi-Fi person I think these would be more than adequate. Check on the What Records site. You could buy him a few Led Zep albums for 50 quid.

Macca
22-03-2016, 13:03
Go for an older one - pre 1978 - that hasn't had its purity contaminated with a digital cutting lathe ;)

It was a pretty high selling album, not rare, so you should be able to get a clean one for under a tenner.

180gm re-releases are not worth paying the extra for unless there is no other option.

take5
22-03-2016, 15:26
Thanks for your input guys.

ive gone the safe route and have bought a 2014 remastered new copy. fingers crossed she is happy. :)

HackneyRF
23-03-2016, 12:09
I'd say you made the right choice there as it's a birthday present and he's not much of a Hi Fi person. I have that copy and they sound very good. Now you have some cash left over for ll, lll, lV. 😄