PDA

View Full Version : Phono Stage with USB

Rare Bird
04-11-2009, 23:02
Anyone had any results from say the likes of Sonneteer 'Sedley' USB

http://www.sonneteer.co.uk/sedley.htm

StanleyB
05-11-2009, 01:21
I'll have my version out in a few months time.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-11-2009, 01:40
I'll have my version out in a few months time.

is that a fact?!
good stuff

Rare Bird
05-11-2009, 02:03
Any details yet stan the man? ;)

StanleyB
05-11-2009, 07:30
is that a fact?!
I have been selling phono preamps for years. Look in my eBay profile for details of such sales. When I started off on eBay I sold more phono preamps than DACs.
However, the circuit designs are not mine, but those of my business partner. One of them is even rebadged and resold by another UK company at £180. I am not too keen on putting them on my website if it ain't my own work. So I have been working on my own versions that combines analogue and digital. One version will have analogue and USB output.
The more advanced version is likely to have an optical or coax output and a line level analogue input. That would then make it possible to connect it to a DAC.
I don't know if anything like the 2nd one already exists, but I can see an opportunity in the market for it. The USB phono preamps that I can find on the market only go up to 16 bit/48 KHz. That's because of the chip sets just about everyone is using. In order to get a higher A to D sampling rate I'll have to use a professional A to D chip.

Themis
05-11-2009, 08:39
Anyone had any results from say the likes of Sonneteer 'Sedley' USB

http://www.sonneteer.co.uk/sedley.htm

Why not a simple A/D pro converter ? (there are some very good at <£100) Is there a need for a RIAA stage ?

Rare Bird
10-11-2009, 10:29
Why not a simple A/D pro converter ? (there are some very good at <£100) Is there a need for a RIAA stage ?

Not as easy as that Demitri

Themis
10-11-2009, 11:11
Not as easy as that Demitri
A simple USB or Firewire A/D converter wouldn't do the job you mean ?
Perhaps you mean that you have no Phono input on your preamp ?

Peter Galbavy
10-11-2009, 12:13
The more advanced version is likely to have an optical or coax output and a line level analogue input. That would then make it possible to connect it to a DAC.

If you do that Stan, and style it to match the Caiman in size, I will buy one and replace the 8000C whose only function at the moment is to switch the Caiman and TT inputs - and volume, but that can be the Caiman's variable output instead any day.

Rare Bird
10-11-2009, 12:16
Yes & fit chrome buttons instead of those gold ones please

:steam:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2009, 13:12
gold buttons match the gold headphone socket

Rare Bird
12-11-2009, 13:13
I hate gold

Stratmangler
12-11-2009, 13:38
The buttons on my Beresford DAC are gold, but the fact is they are very small and you have to go right up to the DAC to see.

Chris:)

Rare Bird
12-11-2009, 14:17
I like to play with myself while looking at the stereo but those gold buttons & headphone output socket arnt doing anything for me..Stan chrome please

:lolsign:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-11-2009, 14:47
I personaly find stans choise of button colour inofensive! I subtle bit of bling on an otherwise understated price of kit!
I also recon when buying a bit of hifi like what stan makes your buying a bit of the personality of the person who designs it! If you don't like it ... Well frankly it's tough! If it makes you willy go floppy... find another awesome dac that does what stans for the money ;)

StanleyB
12-11-2009, 16:43
If you don't like it ... Well frankly it's tough! If it makes you willy go floppy... find another awesome dac that does what stans for the money ;)
My sentiments as well. I don't like Mondays:).

The Vinyl Adventure
13-11-2009, 13:36
Stan
im just about to get shot of my current pre amp, this means i am also getting shot of the current phono preamp as its in the pre amp...
anyway, im concidering a kora3 and a AT(something) ..but, as i like many people am silly happy with the dac's of yours i own i am interested in the usb phonostage.. and more so interested in the option of one with a coax out!
that said, in my mind going analoge-digital-analoge when i could just go analoge-analoge etc seems like an odd thing to do. as you are thinking of making such a product can you enlighten me as to why i would concidor doing such a thing.. or it it purely so people can use your dac with a record spinner?
please excuse my complete ignorance :)
and when is such a thing likely to be availabe?

StanleyB
13-11-2009, 13:50
Analogue to USB is purely for recording to a PC. Mind you, it is already possible to do that with the TC-750LC that I sell. It even comes with the appropriate lead for the job:).

As for why I am doing it: I have a couple of preamps I want to sell in order to make space for other stuff. But I'll then need a method of playing my turntable somehow. I figured out that doig it via the Caiman would be a good idea, if I could come up with a digital phono stage of outstanding quality. Unfortunatley the USB method can only manage RED BOOK standard at 16 bit/44.1KHz. But most recordings in the digital studios are made in anything up to 24bit/96KHz. So why not offer playback at the same rate as the recording studios?
Just a though.