PDA

View Full Version : I am the walrus

Inferno133
18-03-2016, 16:58
Hi to all :) My name's David, Im based in Birmingham. I review films and gigs for a living and recently started collecting vinyl again 9 months ago, partly to give myself something to do after a bad break up but, as expected, it becomes all consuming, even more so than the relationship was ;) ;)

I didn't have a huge budget for a new system but I ended up buying a Technics 120USB, a marantz PM5005 and a pair of Qacoustic i2020s and am pretty happy with the set up, for what I want from it.

Spent last weekend zapping barcodes on the new discogs app and catalogued my collection I've accrued over the last few months. On my list most original 80s/90s stuff was all I had left from when I sold my collection off originally a few years ago to fund a brain tumour op (I'm fine now! But missed my vinyl), all the reissues/new releases I've bought in last 9 months, not bad really (https://www.discogs.com/user/david.hughes.969952/collection?page=1&sort=artist%2Casc&folder=0)

myles
18-03-2016, 17:07
Hi David, hope you are fully recovered. Welcome.

jollyfix
18-03-2016, 17:31
Hi David, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum. My mrs does a bit of gig reviewing, very handy as i get to see loads of gigs for free. She also works in films, but not as a reviewer. I see you have been buying loads, some great LP's too. Glad all fine after brain op.

The Black Adder
18-03-2016, 18:08
A great collection! :)

Welcome to AOS... Enjoy! Glad all is ok..

Great name for a welcome thread too btw :)

Inferno133
18-03-2016, 18:12
Thanks guys and thanks for the kind words. Great stuff re: the other half jollyfix :) I'm glad I started collecting when I did (though under the circumstances I'd rather I still had her and no records but...! Heretic! Burn him! ;) ) as some of the albums I've bought have shot up (even more!) in price (eg Stop the clocks, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie Twice upon a time etc, Morrissey stuff) goddam the beardy, check shirt and braces wearers ;) I received a Pro-Ject RCM today, mentioned it here as some have had problems with the vacuum arm...the new batch come with added packets of grease :)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?43347-Pro-Ject-VC-S-(RCM)/page5

Alamo
18-03-2016, 22:00
Hiya David I joined AoS only yesterday and thanks to reading your post I now know discogs have an app to scan barcodes etc. I've avoided using discogs up until now as I couldn't be bothered listing my vinyl collection (lazy I know). I'll definitely be listing my collection now so many thanks for that
Although I'm a newbie, welcome to AoS and glad to hear your over your illness.

Inferno133
18-03-2016, 22:04
You're very welcome :) I felt exactly the same re: discogs TBH. Obviously things pre barcode era you'll have to type in manually but I'd say 90% (maybe more) of the barcodes I scanned it found so I managed to do 640+ items from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon

Thanks for making me feel welcome too :)

Alamo
18-03-2016, 22:38
Yep I've very quickly found out not many have barcodes, but I've started so I'll finish now so it'll have to be a job for Sunday afternoon I reckon.
Cheers again bud :)

Inferno133
18-03-2016, 23:18
No worries at least having the app on the phone makes it easier to go through them at source rather than bringing the vinyl to by the computer etc so in that respect its still a helluva lot easier

walpurgis
18-03-2016, 23:35
Hi from me too David. Welcome to AOS.

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

Geoff.

Spectral Morn
19-03-2016, 08:54
Welcome to AoS :cool:

CageyH
21-03-2016, 14:59
Welcome aboard.
It seems like the Discogs app is just "milkcrate" by a different name. Very useful when out buying Vinyl though.