PDA

View Full Version : Angle Audio

shire
14-03-2016, 18:19
Hi, I commented on my 'Welcome' post that i had purchaced an Angle Audio phono stage.
I have had the unit for a few weeks now and is just about 'run in'
The unit is the top of the range Reference model mm/mc switchable, cusom configured for Goldring 1042 MM, and Denon 103r with aluminum body.
Both cartridges are mounted on Jelco 750d arms with standard Jelco headshells .Heavy jelco counterweight needed for Denon
First impressions when first installed, silent with both cartridges. the 1042 was impessive from the start, treble mid and bass good
Not as good with Denon, a bit 'toppy' although basss was reasonably deep.
How things change after a lot of use, the 1042 has become first class, And the Denon has lost the slight shrillness at the top end, and now sounds superb across the range. a joy.
I bought this unit as a altetrnative to my EAR 834p which is away for overhall/recon. after many yeasrs sevice, (bought just after release)
The Angle is probable better than the EAR with the Denon, The EAR never seemed to get the best out of any of my MC cartridges, but to be fair, i never had any medium/high end ones.
With the 1042, though the EAR has a kind of synergy,as with most MM i have had (otofon blue) etc, THE ANGLE IS PROABLY BETTER DEFINED ACROSS THE RANGE, and to my sons ears is the better unit, But the EAR has a certain magic PERHAPS IT;S JUST THE VALVE EFFECT?
To sum up, I would highly recomend the Angle audio, for any cartridge in my price range, I will never get to try with a a high end one.(LOTTERY?)

walpurgis
14-03-2016, 18:31
Is your 834P the MC version with built in SUTs Terry? If so that's why the MC sound was not too impressive. I had the MC version and the SUTs inside are not great. The unit sound very much better with a good external SUT via MM input.

I had the EAR a few years, but it was superseded by a Graham Slee ERA V Gold with PSU1, which was superior.

I've heard good things about Angle Audio products. None have come my way yet though.

shire
14-03-2016, 19:33
Yes MC version with the transformers, to be fair, I could get enough gain for the Denon on the MM setting, but had to increase the sensitiviy on the Quad 99 pre,
much better but tended to increase hum at higher volume.

Simon_LDT
15-03-2016, 08:57
I've got a Reference also (MM only for now, but can be changed to MC whenever) and I agree it's superb sounding. I've only ever used 2 other stages (stock on the Marantz PM7001 and a Cambridge Audio 640p) but this one blew those away convincingly and at the time (going back a few years here) only cost me £240. Considering the price I didn't expect such a massive difference. Extra detail just jumped right out first time I plugged it in and it only ever got better over time.