PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

Squat Cobbler
14-03-2016, 16:43
Hello all, I`m a old, new hand to this game, used to love playing good music through a great set up but since I moved I`ve had to tone it right down, well I`m fed up and want to get my set working properly again, I have a RA-03 amp and a pair of B&W speakers, this has been use to sound out my PC so I want to get a turntable and CD player, and I`m here for some tips on the best place to get quality stuff at reasonable prices. I see now vinyl has taken off again there`s loads of turntables to choose from, I was hoping to get second hand really, but knowing who to trust with such a delicate piece of equipment is difficult.

So here I am asking what you think will go best with what I have

are Richer Sounds still a good place to shop? other wise I`m clueless!

thanks, Mark

RichB
14-03-2016, 16:52
A fellow Better Call Saul fan then.

I think decide how much you're prepared to spend then keep an eye on the classifieds here.

struth
14-03-2016, 16:54
Welcome Mark.. The black stuff can be addictive, and costly....lol ... Sure someone will be able to guide you ....open a thread in analogue and ask the question..

jollyfix
14-03-2016, 17:16
Hi Mark,
welcome to AOS, enjoy the forum, and as Rich has said look on the classifieds here. Wellington Somerset? there used to be this great tucked away old Radio/valve/ reel to reel, 78's etc repair place /shop there many moons ago. I have wondered if it is still there? The place was there for years.and was always fun to pop in and visit.

Squat Cobbler
14-03-2016, 17:38
Yes, there was a shop in North street , I never took the time to go in there, and think it`s closed or he may have died, will have a sniff about and see, also thanks for the welcome, and yes, Better Call Saul! as soon as I heard that I told my friend that`s going to be my next user name lol

I will have a look in your classifieds,

thanks guys :)

walpurgis
15-03-2016, 00:02
Hi Mark. Welcome to AOS.

Glad to see somebody regenerating their interest in record playing. I don't know the particular Rotel amp you've got, but I do like their equipment as a rule.

If you want ideas for developing your system, start a thread in the Blank Canvas section and describe what you have in mind. I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful opinions.

If you're a bit practical, why not buy and resurrect an older 'classic' turntable from maybe Thorens or Lenco. It's not to tricky to do.

As for Richer Sounds, I think they're OK if you like mass market aimed gear, mainly made in the far east (but not Japan).

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
15-03-2016, 22:48
Welcome to AoS Mark,

And welcome back to vinyl. Enjoy the Forum

Barry

walpurgis
15-03-2016, 23:29
I get the impression you're struggling a bit to decide on what type of turntable to get Mark.

Why not take the simple, basic, route and get something like a good Pioneer PL-12D? They are plentiful, cheapish and incredibly dependable. Also very easy to maintain and they sound decent enough to kick off with. Just bung a sensibly priced MM cartridge on it and you can play records and get a nice enough sound from it. There are a couple of easy, economic upgrades that can be made to the Pioneer as well. A heavier platter mat and a rigid, cast headshell improve things. Clean tidy examples turn up on eBay regularly. I'd not pay over £100 personally. They can be got cheaper, you might find one local.

The PL-12D is obviously not the only option, but it works well enough.

If you buy any turntable from eBay, make sure the seller can pack properly or even better, find one you can collect yourself. Turntables are notorious for getting wrecked in transit.

archiesdad
17-03-2016, 21:37
Hi Mark, welcome.

Squat Cobbler
21-03-2016, 18:23
Hello again, well I managed to pick up a Rega turntable for £120 which arrived today, did a little homework and they seem to have a good name, didn`t realise that it needed a cartridge so I`ve ordered one, should be here Thursday, also have a Marantz cd player on the way so that will hopefully satisfy my needs for the moment. Now no doubt I`ll be blowing my wages on vinyl :eek:

hope you are all well and had a good weekend :)

Spectral Morn
21-03-2016, 20:49
Welcome to AoS