PDA

View Full Version : If you have a record collection and a sound system then you could be rich...

Macca
12-03-2016, 22:38
According to the Mail online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3465971/A-range-cooker-wine-fridge-record-collection-belongings-reveal-household-affluent.html

Certain belongings and installations mean you are 'mass-affluent'; including having a sound system and owning vinyl records.

Great article. I like that they have to put up a picture of a vinyl collection in case anyone didn't know. Even if it does look like a pile abandoned after an unsucessfull car boot sale. ('F**k it I'm not carting that lot back')

Went through the top ten to see where I stand on the wealth scale:

Home office - I have a computer and a telephone, does that count?

Limited edition art - framed aerial photograph of Anfield on the wall. But not limited edition.

A children's playroom - no, not got one of them.

Music delivery system, for example Sonos Yes! But not a Sonos, whatever that is. Probably like Audio Note or something.

Vinyl collections Yes!

Under-floor heating No, no heating at all; not of the non-portable variety anyway.

Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet Don't know what that is. Next.

Wine fridge - I have a fridge that could at a pinch be used for wine. Wine bottles will fit in it. Not sure if that counts.

Walk-in wardrobe - no wardrobe, walk in or otherwise.

High-end paint/wallpaper, such as Farrow and Ball there's high-end paint now? Audio Note paint?

Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster No, don't really have a cooker of any description

Score: 2

Verdict: I am not mass-affluent. Damn.

struth
12-03-2016, 22:47
Home office - I have a several computers and several phones, I,m a shark

Limited edition art - got a couple of bits n boobs(H&E etc) :eyebrows:

A children's playroom - got a spare room, but dont let the kids in

Music delivery system, sort of, depending on what your definition of muzac is

Vinyl collections Yes!

Under-floor heating No, but have radiators

Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet .. got a straw and a tatty masher

Wine fridge - I have a beer fridge and a spare one just in case :D

Walk-in wardrobe - yup, but you wouldnt want to walk into it

High-end paint/wallpaper, nope, its puff poly mostly and cheap as chips paint

Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster old gas jobbie that smells like one;)

In a similar catagory mate:lol:

Ninanina
12-03-2016, 22:48
I have none of the ten mentioned so I must be very poor indeed :doh:

Macca
12-03-2016, 22:51
You have a music delivery system. Doesn't have to be Sonos. You score 1 -poorer than me! - your Prius doesn't count. You should have bought a turntable and some records instead ;)

walpurgis
12-03-2016, 22:52
Never having been particularly materialistic or giving a toss what people think, I see little point in those items really, certainly for me anyway. I wouldn't want any of that lot apart from the records.

Ninanina
12-03-2016, 22:54
You have a music delivery system. Doesn't have to be Sonos. You score 1 -poorer than me! - your Prius doesn't count. You should have bought a turntable and some records instead ;)

Ok so I have a 'music delivery system' so I score 1....... leave my Prius out of it :D:D I happen to love it to bits, the more I drive it the more I appreciate it... It's my 'space machine' ... :eek:

Arkless Electronics
12-03-2016, 22:57
If it's mass that counts I have loads of vintage high end test gear... weighs a ton, and ranges? It's got loads of 'em :eyebrows: And far cooler than all that old tat in the article.. to a geek anyway :ner:

Macca
12-03-2016, 23:01
Can't imagine why they would omit 'vintage high end test gear' . I suppose it is only the Daily Mail. It's probably in The Times survey.

struth
12-03-2016, 23:05
and why were old pocket watches not mentioned... I could have been a contender

walpurgis
12-03-2016, 23:06
and why were old pocket watches not mentioned... I could have been a contender

No time? :)

User211
13-03-2016, 08:02
1. Home office, 37% You are probably freelance and are using it for tax purposes.

=2. Vinyl collections, 18% You are old.

=2. Limited edition art, 18% You painted something recently.

=4. A children's playroom, 13% Your kids are syphoning your money.

=4. Music delivery system, for example Sonos, 13% You're so blinkered you think a multi-room Sonos with ceiling speakers is about as good as it gets.

=4. Under-floor heating, 13% You don't like slippers.

=7. Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet, 12% You've been hit by recent marketing hype that tells you random mixes of completely incompatible (taste wise) ingredients is going to be good.

=7. Wine fridge, 12% The pressure of your job means you need it to calm the f down.

9. Walk-in wardrobe, 11% Vanity gets the better of you.

=10. High-end paint/wallpaper, such as Farrow and Ball, 10% Not sure about this one.

=10. Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster, 10% You are old or live in the country.

The Daily Wind Up.

Marco
13-03-2016, 13:24
Lol... I don't believe in this bollocks (or superficially/rather baselessly 'labelling' people), but let's go through the list for a laugh...

Home office. I'd imagine this means a dedicated room at home, which functions as an office. In that case, No.

Limited edition art. Plenty of that (and also originals), from my business as an art dealer, and from my personal interest as an antiques collector, so Yes.

A children's playroom. Don't have any brats, so No.

Music delivery system, for example Sonos. There's my RPi streaming set up, so Yes

Vinyl collections. Just a tad (!), so Yes.

Under-floor heating. No.

Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet. As a veggie, Del loves these, so Yes

Wine fridge. We use this in the summer months. We also have a small 'wine cellar' (cubby hole with wine racks in it, full of rather expensive fine wine), so Yes.

Walk-in wardrobe. No.

High-end paint/wallpaper, such as Farrow and Ball. Yup, both of us being into interior design, F&B (along with Laura Ashley) is our fav paint brand, so Yes.

Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster . Not yet, but we'll be installing an Aga in our new bespoke-designed kitchen, which will be completed by the summer, so Yes.

No idea what that makes us, nor could I give a f*ck :D

Marco.

struth
13-03-2016, 13:43
Lol... I don't believe in this bollocks (or superficially/rather baselessly 'labelling' people), but let's go through the list for a laugh...

Home office. I'd imagine this means a dedicated room at home, which functions as an office. In that case, No.

Limited edition art. Plenty of that (and also originals), from my business as an art dealer, and from my personal interest as an antiques collector, so Yes.

A children's playroom. Don't have any brats, so No.

Music delivery system, for example Sonos. There's my RPi streaming set up, so Yes

Vinyl collections. Just a tad (!), so Yes.

Under-floor heating. No.

Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet. As a veggie, Del loves these, so Yes

Wine fridge. We use this in the summer months. We also have a small 'wine cellar' (cubby hole with wine racks in it, full of rather expensive fine wine), so Yes.

Walk-in wardrobe. No.

High-end paint/wallpaper, such as Farrow and Ball. Yup, both of us being into interior design, F&B (along with Laura Ashley) is our fav paint brand, so Yes.

Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster . Not yet, but we'll be installing an Aga in our new bespoke-designed kitchen, which will be completed by the summer, so Yes.

No idea what that makes us, nor could I give a f*ck :D

Marco.

I,m too polite to say :D

Marco
13-03-2016, 13:57
Ha - well I certainly wouldn't wish to be labelled in such a vulgar way, as being "Mass-affluent". Keep that one for the crassly common 'key-janglers' and social-climbing aspirational middle-classes! ;)

Marco.

struth
13-03-2016, 14:01
Happy enough in my lowly place lol.... My own place with no neighbours is my only real desire. One that wont be fulfilled of course but, hey its good to have a dream:exactly:

Now wheres my keys, i,m off for a jangle:eek:

Marco
13-03-2016, 16:03
Lol - you don't need any, yer nipple rings jangle together enough! :D

These articles are complete bollocks. I mean, who gets to choose which items supposedly are relevant, and why? I watched a programme on TV once, which said that you were deemed as being middle class, if you owned a tagine... :doh:

Needless to say, we don't have one!

Marco.

Macca
13-03-2016, 16:27
a tagine...

Had to look that up. Now I'm hungry.

struth
13-03-2016, 16:47
Lol - you don't need any, yer nipple rings jangle together enough! :D

These articles are complete bollocks. I mean, who gets to choose which items supposedly are relevant, and why? I watched a programme on TV once, which said that you were deemed as being middle class if you owned a tagine... :doh:

Needless to say, we don't have one!

Marco.

Ive got one.. Had it for an age...great bit of kit for stew and veg etc...they are a great design as youd expect from an ethnic bit of kit thats lasted for god knows how long.. Simple is best.
Dont use it much now which is a shame..must start making those mega. Ones again... Got a cast iron casserole pot too its for bigger jobs lol. Got a giant copper fry pan too which is as old as me i guess.... I still aint middle class... My tat makes me upper crust

Joe
13-03-2016, 16:49
I score 3, but given it's the Daily Mail doing the defining, I'd be worried if I scored any higher.

Haselsh1
13-03-2016, 17:04
I have a huge passion for music therefore, I am spiffingly rich. Sod all of the other twaddle.

Haselsh1
13-03-2016, 17:06
These articles are complete bollocks. I mean, who gets to choose which items supposedly are relevant, and why? I watched a programme on TV once, which said that you were deemed as being middle class if you owned a tagine... :doh:

Been to Morocco two or three times...! Does that count...?

Arkless Electronics
13-03-2016, 17:25
It seems to be an article highlighting what you end up with by being a sad sac who buys all the stuff and believes all the bollocks in their own Sunday supplement!
Any way, must go and take Ophelia and Jocasta to their ballet class in the Range Rover before dropping of at the farmers whole-food emporium (seems expensive but they look out for you... they did say they saw me coming anyway...). Total wank!!

Gazjam
18-03-2016, 16:07
According to the Mail online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3465971/A-range-cooker-wine-fridge-record-collection-belongings-reveal-household-affluent.html

Certain belongings and installations mean you are 'mass-affluent'; including having a sound system and owning vinyl records.

Went through the top ten to see where I stand on the wealth scale:

Home office - Yes: Spare bedroom kitted out as office.

Limited edition art - Yes: Limited, as the paintings and drawings I have, wos me that created them.

A children's playroom - Not that I know of.... :eyebrows:

Music delivery system, for example Sonos Yes: Squeezebii in main room and bedroom system

Vinyl collections Hell yeah.

Under-floor heating No: Underlays quite thick in the livingroom?

Nutrient extractor, such as a NutriBullet Na: Too healthy.

Wine fridge - No. Red wine room temp

Walk-in wardrobe - TECHNICALLY I s'pose I could fit inside?

High-end paint/wallpaper, such as Farrow and Ball Ceiling emulsion, this count as high end?

Range cooker, such as an Aga or Rangemaster No, if I could afford one of those I'd be eating out every night.

Score: Dont shop at Waitrose (Or read the Daily Heil) so not bothered.

Verdict: Still not bothered.... :)