PDA

View Full Version : Leak Trough-Line (Troughline) II and Hi-Fi World / TdP Stereo Tube FM Decoder

Ripley's Cat
12-03-2016, 12:27
Afternoon ladies and gents.
It's with a real heavy heart (and a degree of 'shall I, shan't I?') that I've arrived at the conclusion that this needs to be sold.

Changing listening habits, resulting in mainly listening to most of my music via internet feeds, means that this gorgeous Trough-Line (Troughline) II and accompanying Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder is no longer being used in the Ripley's Cat household.

It was serviced about 5 years ago by a qualified electrical engineer (name can be given upon request to confirm validity of statement) whilst I lived in Bournemouth. (Dantheman - if you're reading this, you know who I mean!) Whilst living there, the Trough-Line was plugged into a half-decent external aerial and I received good results, with hiss-free stereo being achievable on a clear day.

Since moving to Lincolnshire, I packaged her away, not having an external aerial on my new house. Promised myself to buy one and fit - but family needs and other commitments stalled the plan. Unpacked and rescued from the attic this morning, I'm presently listening to her as I type, plugged into a simple ribbon indoor dipole aerial and can - just - achieve a (slightly hissy) stereo signal. In all fairness, I'm in an upstairs bedroom, within line-of-sight of Belmont transmitter mast, so not entirely surprising.

Times have moved on, and I'm now ready to sell her to someone who will use her. No point sitting in an attic gathering dust!

As far as I can tell, fully working and in excellent physical condition. I can supply more photos upon request. The scans (from the July 1992 copy of Hi-Fi World; the originals of which will be included in the sale) are well worth a read.

I also have a serviced, albeit tatty, Trough-Line 3 in the attic as a (if needs be) donor machine. If I can find it, that will also be included in the sale.

COLLECTION ONLY (Washingborough, LN4) , as I really don't want to risk anything so old to any postal service. Besides, I've really no packaging materials suitable. I did list this for a few days on the 'Bay, but pulled the ad, as I was inundated by requests to post. So - really - collection only. And for those of you south of the Watford gap, Lincolnshire is the green bit that no-one goes to, below the Humber Estuary and Yorkshire. You should know us from all our potatoes that you keep eating; perhaps a trip up to see where all your spuds come from, eh? (Treat it as a cultural visit.)

I'm looking for close to £200, but I can negotiate a little way (in either direction!) I'm aware that FM is positively unsexy, so if Mods or those of sage disposition feel the need to suggest a much lower figure, I won't be offended.

Any questions - or requests for further photos - please ask.
Regards,
Matt

tapid
12-03-2016, 12:38
And a lovely spud you do up there Matthew ! FM, surely still the best way to listen to radio 2,3 etc. Good luck selling this iconic product and indeed, I can feel your pain.

Ripley's Cat
12-03-2016, 12:47
Ha! Yes - our spuds are definitely winners!
(And we do a mean cabbage, sugar beet and rape oil!)
Thanks for the pain-feeling, Brian - I guess if something's not being used, then what's the point of keeping it?
(I tend to work to the 'three year rule'; if not used within this time, then bin, sell or donate.)

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 15:53
Very nice. I have the same items, but not in as nice condition.

Ripley's Cat
12-03-2016, 18:07
Thanks, Neil.

This took a lot of - well, emotional fortitude to list it as a 'for sale'; on the basis that if I ever change my mind . . .

But - collecting dust is, I suspect, not what Harold Leak had in mind when he designed the thing!

Spectral Morn
13-03-2016, 01:42
Thanks, Neil.

This took a lot of - well, emotional fortitude to list it as a 'for sale'; on the basis that if I ever change my mind . . .

But - collecting dust is, I suspect, not what Harold Leak had in mind when he designed the thing!

I know how you feel, I would not sell mine.