PDA

View Full Version : RIP Keith Emerson

daytona600
11-03-2016, 19:43
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-emerson-dies/

1st album i ever bought with my pocket money from woolies was ELP

DSJR
11-03-2016, 21:17
It's getting far too close to home now :( RIP Keith, and thanks for some great music...

petrat
11-03-2016, 22:14
Proper musician. RIP.

Gazjam
11-03-2016, 22:22
FUCK!
Aw man...

Spectral Morn
11-03-2016, 23:45
Had that revealed to me earlier tonight by a friend in the pub, hey do you know a guy called Keith Emerson ? Not personally, no. He is the keyboard player with ELP. Hate to tell you he has died.

Hasn't really hit yet. Sad news :(

I love their first album, particularly 'Take a Pebble' stunning, vibe, with Greg's beautiful voice.

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 00:10
I hope, this is wrong, but Bill Board is saying that Santa Monica police are investigating Keith's death as a possible suicide http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7127455/keith-emerson-dead-emerson-lake-palmer?utm_source=twitter

Andy831
12-03-2016, 06:46
Another boyhood hero passes. RIP Keith

Haselsh1
12-03-2016, 08:06
Back in 2000, my then wife Julie and I spent a week in Brighton were I just had to visit The Lanes and this truly gorgeous little vinyl shop. I spent a couple of hundred pounds on vinyl records one of which was a limited release of ELP's 'Brain Salad Surgery'. That album has stayed unplayed and sealed for sixteen years. I think today could be a good day to break the seal and play it for the first time. Only trouble is, I only have a Croft Micro 25 Basic to use as a phono stage and it is not a very good match with my current tranny amp. I may have to suffer a little.

Haselsh1
12-03-2016, 08:09
In fact, I may have to fire up the Arturia Minibrute analogue synth today and make some crazy LFO and filter shit in honour of his name.

If it is indeed suicide then each to his/her own. We should be allowed to choose when and where.

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 08:52
In fact, I may have to fire up the Arturia Minibrute analogue synth today and make some crazy LFO and filter shit in honour of his name.

If it is indeed suicide then each to his/her own. We should be allowed to choose when and where.

It sadly was, confirmed last night, single gunshot to the head :( Awful, desperately sad thing.

I had the radio on late last night and an American guy who is writing a book about Prog interviewed Keith recently and according to him Keith was very angry re not being able to play like he used to. Seems that a progressive degenerating disease was robbing him of the ability to play. He didn't say what it was.

I can't begin to imagine what his family is gong through. :(

The Black Adder
12-03-2016, 09:05
That sounds awful... RIP.

I have never really listened to ELP so I may give some a go.

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 09:15
That sounds awful... RIP.

I have never really listened to ELP so I may give some a go.

Try their first album. I think it's their best most complete and whole album. After that Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery.

struth
12-03-2016, 09:46
Pictures was my favorite of ELP,and K E,s in particular. An amazing piece of gall, superbly performed.

Andy831
12-03-2016, 09:54
Try their first album. I think it's their best most complete and whole album. After that Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery.

Also worth trying some "Nice" stuff too particularly 5 bridges or Elergy

surv1v0r
12-03-2016, 10:32
A brilliant Classically trained keyboard player. I first heard of him via Nice. I have three or four ELP albums on both vinyl and as CDs and regularly play "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Elegy" by the Nice.

I believe that ELP were "difficult" to work with which is why they ended up with Manticore, I suspect that they could and should have been as big and long-lasting as Pink Floyd.

Very sad . . .

Floyddroid
12-03-2016, 10:45
Of all the recent musician deaths this has upset me the most. Especially the circumstances in which he died.

Floyddroid
12-03-2016, 10:50
His biography Pictures Of An exhibitionist is well worth a read.

struth
12-03-2016, 10:59
Not a bad way to go if must. The slow deterioration, especially the things you hold dearest is the hardest to bear. Whether is your talents or faculties or even that of a loved one is extremely hard.
He will at least be remembered for his great talent and thats more than most of us mere mortals will...rip

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 11:18
Of all the recent musician deaths this has upset me the most. Especially the circumstances in which he died.

I know what you mean, tragic.

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 11:23
Not a bad way to go if must. The slow deterioration, especially the things you hold dearest is the hardest to bear. Whether is your talents or faculties or even that of a loved one is extremely hard.
He will at least be remembered for his great talent and thats more than most of us mere mortals will...rip

Having sat in a room, with a few people who's loved ones had killed themselves, well it was the hardest type of grief I had to witness when doing a grief course. Hard that folks had died in accidents or by disease, that children had died, but by ones own hand. The families and loved ones suffer awfully.

I would just say, beg, if folks find themselves in that dark a place, with those thoughts that they would ask, seek help - please.

daytona600
12-03-2016, 11:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47S-lRwoK7c&list=RD47S-lRwoK7c

struth
12-03-2016, 11:29
It is hard Neil.. My son hung himself so i know. But you will get over it . ivecseen folk disintegrate in front of me and that is in a way harder as you get pretty mu h the same feeling upon death too imo. My wife and my neighbours daughter are testement to that.
I am not saying its the thing to do...far from it, but for some folk its the best way out and its quick...well sometimes.
Im now disintegrating too so know how he felt

RichB
12-03-2016, 11:35
Depression the silent killer. Very sad, he did however live a full and interesting life I'd imagine.

Not the biggest ELP fan myself but as an artist there is no doubt he broke new ground and was hugely influential.

Spectral Morn
12-03-2016, 11:51
Perhaps it might be better to discuss this topic on a new thread than here. We don't know the full story, motives, just what the Santa Monica police have said.

This is hard all round, very hard.