PDA

View Full Version : Hello

brozier
10-03-2016, 13:02
Hi,

I'm Bryan, just getting back into HiFi after digging my old Turntable out of the loft over the Christmas holidays...

Seems a Dual 503-2 isn't quite as "Audiophile Concept" as I remember it :lol:

I'm in the middle of putting together a turntable based on the old STD305M chassis. I plan to add an Audiomods Classic 2 Tone arm kit and a DIY microprocessor controlled motor supply.

The Tone arm is a kit built one so I have a lot of Polishing in my near Future. :D

I've just bought an Arkless 604 MC phono amp which was one of the reasons for joining so I can ask Jez a few questions about it....

My system is pretty much all Cyrus based now - not every-ones cup of tea but I've always fancied a pile of black shoe boxes!

Cheers

struth
10-03-2016, 13:06
Strathclyde tt's are excellent Bryan... Hope you enjoy the forum

Gazjam
10-03-2016, 13:43
Hiya Bryan :)

Always liked those black shoeboxes, you have your kit in one of the Mission vertical racks?
They looked awesome.

brozier
10-03-2016, 13:46
I managed to pick up a Cyrus Hark 2 Rack with 8 shelves for reasonable money.

The did fancy the Oak shelves but the Hark keeps the missus happy by hiding all those ugly cables ;-)

Cheers

Barry
10-03-2016, 16:21
Welcome to AoS Bryan,

Always good to see an audio enthusiast tackling the mechanical aspects of music reproduction, so you are to be commended on building your own arm and turntable based on the Strathclyde 305. What are you tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

walpurgis
10-03-2016, 23:49
Hello Bryan. Welcome to AOS.

The tonearm kit sounds interesting. Some pictures of your work would be good in our Gallery section.

Tell us what music you like playing and what else you may have in mind for your system.

You can't go far wrong with a good STD turntable. That should be nice when you have it set up.

Yeah. I'm sure Jez will advise you with the phono stage. He's a decent bloke.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

brozier
11-03-2016, 12:38
Thanks for the messages guys,

Music wise I listen to all sorts - SKA / Two-Tone, Electronica, Punk, Early Reggae, Rap, Rock, Goth. All time favorite bands (based on number of albums owned) are Cocteau Twins, Sisters Of Mercy & White Stripes.

But recently I've been listening to lots of Classical... :) Something to do with lots of bargain Vinyl at the local charity shop and getting decent FM aerial in the loft!

STD 305M has been stripped and cleaned - I've managed to re-attach some of the peeling bitumen damping with careful use of a hot air gun. Next job is to build an accurate 120Hz strobe based on an Arduino to test the speed.

Cheers
Bryan