PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Rtb
10-03-2016, 10:24
Hi, I'm Roy from Market Rasen in Lincolnshire.
At the moment I'm running a front end of a Rock turntable with Excalibre arm and Decca Gold cartridge, CR Developments pre-amp, Ray Lumley M150 signature power amps through Proac Speakers.
On the digital side I'm using a Marantz SE CD player after my Teac died through a Chorde Mojo Dac.
The power amps are having a thorough service at the moment so everything is being pushed through a pair of old Quad 150 power amps.
After being out of hifi for a few years I'm after getting into computer hifi and leaning towards a modified Mac mini running audiovana.

walpurgis
10-03-2016, 10:46
Hello Roy. Welcome to AOS.

You have some nice equipment there. What music do you listen to?

Computer Hi-Fi is becoming very popular here. I'm sure you can find any info you may need. Have a look through the 'Digital Expressions' section. Ask questions if you want to and I'm sure you'll get answers.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
10-03-2016, 10:49
Welcome Roy. As said lots of digital file users here from pc stuff to rpi and everything in between.

tapid
10-03-2016, 12:37
Welcome Roy, same front end as me except Technoarm instead of excalliber. There s a few decca expert s on here Geoff ( warpluggis) amongst them. Do you have the merlin psu,? I had mine fixed last year by Mr T, lovely upgrade with lots of clean power!

Rtb
10-03-2016, 15:32
I've got one of the first merlin's which I believe was designed but Tim Pavaracini but got fed up of replacing burnt out resistors, I replaced it with a unit from Avondale Audio which runs a lot cooler.

Barry
10-03-2016, 15:51
Welcome to AoS Roy,

Some fine equipment you have there. What sort of music do you push through it? One other question - what are Quad 150s? Some photos would be good yo see if you can manage it. :)

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

Rtb
10-03-2016, 17:51
Bit of an eclectic mix of everything but country. Mainly favour jazz and blues.
The Quads should have read 50 (sorry sausage fingers) look like 303's but were made to supply 50 amps into nearly any load usually through miles of bell wire into the speaker. They were made with multi connection plugs for the speaker wire where the wire was soldered into position depending on what load was required, unfortunately this precludes most modern speaker cable due to it's size.

Barry
10-03-2016, 18:22
Bit of an eclectic mix of everything but country. Mainly favour jazz and blues.
The Quads should have read 50 (sorry sausage fingers) look like 303's but were made to supply 50 amps into nearly any load usually through miles of bell wire into the speaker. They were made with multi connection plugs for the speaker wire where the wire was soldered into position depending on what load was required, unfortunately this precludes most modern speaker cable due to it's size.

Ah - I understand. Are they 50Es or 50Ds? They are a solid state amplifiers using a transformer to couple the output transistors to the speaker load. Depending on the selection of secondary windings the amps can deliver 50 watts into a range of impedances; the 50E offers a wider range of load impedance settings than the 50D.

I have pair of ex-BBC 50Es, but now use a pair of Quad 510s, which also use an output transformer.

Regards

Rtb
10-03-2016, 21:39
The 50E's. I keep thinking about having a tinker with them when I have the time. I know Tim Pav used to do mods years ago and Russ Andrews had upgrade guides for other Quads

Barry
10-03-2016, 21:43
The 50E's. I keep thinking about having a tinker with them when I have the time. I know Tim Pav used to do mods years ago and Russ Andrews had upgrade guides for other Quads

I think Dada in Belgium may have some upgrade suggestions for the 50Es. I'll do some research and get back to you.

Rtb
11-03-2016, 15:11
Cheers

The Black Adder
11-03-2016, 18:58
Hi Roy.

Some lovely kit there... welcome to AOS... Enjoy! :)

Rtb
11-03-2016, 22:24
Cheers